PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pot Roast visiting - (UPDATED - He's Reportedly Joining the Team)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill playing EVE Online, rest of the league playing Old Republic free mode.
I've been reading up on some of the latest Eve politics stories, and if written well, that stuff is fascinating. I of course have no time to play stuff like that though.

I just recently read of the "Band of Brother's" 2007 successful defense of a "Titan" ($6k real world dollars at the time) with 300 ships vs. 1000 allied ships. In essence, there was an empty ship yard, and a shipyard with the Titan in it, but no way for enemy to know which one. They placed all 300 around the empty shipyard and left the $6k Titan completely undefended. The attacking alliance fell for it and all targeted the empty ship yard... but not the 300 ships defending it.

The 300 ships took out half of the 1000 ships that were ignoring them, and "captured" 40 more. The empty shipyard was of course destroyed, but he let them think they destroyed the Titan. As an April fool's day joke no less!

Instantly thought of BB when I read that. Sorry, way off topic.

I've been reading up on some of the latest Eve politics stories, and if written well, that stuff is fascinating. I of course have no time to play stuff like that though.

I just recently read of the "Band of Brother's" 2007 successful defense of a "Titan" ($6k real world dollars at the time) with 300 ships vs. 1000 allied ships. In essence, there was an empty ship yard, and a shipyard with the Titan in it, but no way for enemy to know which one. They placed all 300 around the empty shipyard and left the $6k Titan completely undefended. The attacking alliance fell for it and all targeted the empty ship yard... but not the 300 ships defending it.

The 300 ships took out half of the 1000 ships that were ignoring them, and "captured" 40 more. The empty shipyard was of course destroyed, but he let them think they destroyed the Titan. As an April fool's day joke no less!

That kind of story makes me want to resub, find the guy and beg him to take me on despite not having played seriously for years. :)

For anyone who knows literally anything abut EVE comparing the Patriots to Band of Brothers is not a flattering comparison. They were the richest, most elitest, corrupt, and reviled Alliance in the history of the game and the combined weight of the rest of the game spent literally years of unrelenting war grinding them into extinction. They were the old guard, an established power house from the very first days of the game and leveraged that advantage into being near unassailable for years. The thing with EVE is that time is more important that anything. It takes real days/weeks/months/years to build the best ships and earn the ingame attributes to be able to use them. This has been somewhat negated nowadays but back then it meant that players who had been playing the game for years had an absolute unassailable advantage over new players. And BoB took most of these oldest and experienced players and put them under one roof. So the numbers of a battle back then where they won against a force 3 times their number is misleading because they had faaar and away better ships and support for those ships than their enemies.

If the Patriots are anything its GoonSwarm. Came out of nowhere as plucky underdogs, literally formed by players who were brand new to the game and thus could only fly the crappiest cheapest ships possible, who refused to abide by the usual norms and decorum of how the game was 'supposed' to be played, was cheered on by most as they punched Band of Brothers in the mouth and crippled them, and then slowly became so powerful that they eventually annihilated BoB and assumed the mantel of the most powerful Alliance in the history of the game. Now after about 4 years of unparalleled hegemony over the entire rest of the game everyone hates them and is, literally at this very moment, waging a war for the sole purpose of bringing them down a peg. Belichick is The Mittani, in all the good and bad ways that implies.

I played EVE in GoonSwarm during all this so yeah.

Last edited:
I'd like to know whether people think there is a chance that BB really mixes it up and goes to a 3-4 with this signing. Thoughts?

Not to derail the thread into a discussion about the awesomeness of Eve.. but thats not the reputation Goonswam has to my casualist's point of view.

They didn't start out as plucky underdogs who refused to abide by social norms. They were trolls and griefers from day one.

People hate Goonswarm not because they are successful or that they win, they hate them because Goonswarm's own self-admitted agenda is to ruin the game for everybody else. They delight in it. They are nothing like the Patriots. They are trolls. They just also happen to be very successful.

This simply isn't accurate. The entire GoonSwarm way of approaching the game is that they are both the greatest possible friends and worst possible enemies. Goons were a nothing little group in the ass end of worthless space when BoB took it upon themselves to destroy them as a way to flaunt their strength and power-projection across the entire game. It worked and the tiny Goon corporation was driven out of space but they vowed to wage an eternal hellfire war against BoB in revenge. And anyone who has played EVE knows what happens next. And yes we were assholes but only to people like those in BoB who took the stupid space video game that is EVE so seriously that it basically defined their real lives. The more recent Reddit groups in the game are far more insulting and awful then Goons ever were.

And another comparison to the Patriots is that through their unparalleled and sustained success they have been a big contributor in bring record exposure and profits to the company that runs the game. Every single major news story in EVE (and I mean mainstream news like BBC and CNN) has involved them in some large way

Yeah, when I played back in the day I took on a goon. I used a simple strategy to defeat him. When he went up I went down and when he moved down I went up. I deflected all but one of his shots. Anyways I crushed the living crap out of him. Haven't played much since.

Attached a screenshot of our epic battle below.

upload_2016-4-6_20-58-22.png

Love the news about his REAL contract today
You know the "real contract". So, Knighton is getting a couple of million plus $2.0M of unidentified game times incentives (not game roster incentives which are different) and $300K of unidentified NLTBE incentives (not including the Super Bowl incentive which is different).

So, we only have questions about $2.3M of the $4.55M, pretty much the same questions that we've had since the signing.

For anyone who knows literally anything abut EVE comparing the Patriots to Band of Brothers is not a flattering comparison. They were the richest, most elitest, corrupt, and reviled Alliance in the history of the game and the combined weight of the rest of the game spent literally years of unrelenting war grinding them into extinction. They were the old guard, an established power house from the very first days of the game and leveraged that advantage

I dunno, sounds a lot like the Patriots in a few ways:)

And your opinion of them sounds like the in-game equivalent of a Jets/Colts fan. :D

(no offence by that, I just found it funny; the "Evil Empire")

I'd like to know whether people think there is a chance that BB really mixes it up and goes to a 3-4 with this signing. Thoughts?
That's what I would do. That alignment would get your best players on the field. And the player's talent is more important than the scheme.

He didn't maximize his money, the pats offered him more than what he signed for with Denver.
yeah but when he didnt get the deal he wanted in free agency he came back to the team about their previous offer and the Pats said no because they had already signed Amendola; Then he took the larger offer from Denver

Knighton looked to Wilfork for advice before signing with Patriots

Knighton had a chance to hang out with Wilfork recently at the wedding of Broncos corner Aqib Talib. He said the two recently had a long conversation about what it meant to play for the Patriots organization, and eventually Knighton decided it was the place for him.

"He was telling me it's a grind, but at the end of the day, it's football," Knighton said. "But it's a good environment to be around, it's a good building to be in. He had nothing but good things to say about the organization. I'm just excited, and I'm just looking forward to getting in the building and learning as much football as I can and being around the guys."

I just wonder if there was any food left for anyone else

He's been doing it for years? There are always certain games in a season where BB will use the 3-4. It's just not something you'll see full-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back