PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thought - the car industry isn't the only thing struggling in Detriot ed.

Re: Post Game Thought - the car industry isn't the only thing struggling in Detriot e

Leftover thoughts from Pats' loss - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

2. Fullback James Develin's inclusion on the first-unit kickoff return could bode well for his chances to make the roster. Develin lined up in the wedge position opposite defensive end Marcus Benard (he was on 3 special teams units). Tight end Michael Hoomanawanui had been used there in the first two preseason games, which could signal that he's on shaky ground to stick. As a fullback, Develin played nine snaps with the first-unit offense. One downer to his night: Not being able to pick up a first down on a fourth-and-inches carry late in the second quarter.

Re: Post Game Thought - the car industry isn't the only thing struggling in Detriot e

As you say, we are very vulnerable to injury. We are only 18 players deep
DL 5 (including Benard)
LB 5
CB 3 + 1 draftee
S 3 + 1 draftee

After that we have the array of wannabees competing for the last seven roster spots.

The open question is whether it is at all unusual to have JAG's at the last 7 positions on defense? These players are STers, deep backup and developmental players.

Sure, we would like upgrades. But the only clear need is for backup DT's.

Our starting defense really only has two weaknesses, starting SS, and our LB core better suited for old school football.

Our D-line: Great
Our CB trio: Great
Our FS: Great
Our LB core: Great vs. run, mediocre vs pass (mostly Spikes fault)
Our starting SS: Mediocre (Gregory or A. Wilson)

As others have said, then here goes our depth:

D-Line: Atrocious....Forston and Bernard as your 3rd DT and DE....uhh...
LB: Solid (Fletcher and Collins)
CB: Cole sucks, Dowling...nuff said, and a rookie in Ryan that while is improving, has a long way to go, mediocre.
SS: Bad.
FS: Bad.

The starting defense IMO is a top 10 D, best since 07. Any injury on the D-line or secondary and then it could tail off a good amount.

Disagree with #1: Wendell's not even the best Center on his own team. I hope someone else
overpays him after this season.

Agree with #6: I hope we never, ever play the Loins in the pre-season ever, ever again.
You have every right to your opinion, capt, but what are you basing this on?. Nothing the team, coaches or even the media supports your view.

Its a strong opinion with nothing to support it.

Drops can and will be fixed, so don't care about that. Defense was very good, especially given the numerous turnovers. What really scared me is how the offensive line was completely and utterly destroyed which completely killed the running game and made the offense was dimensional.

I suspect the Offensive line problems will be fixed too. The strength of the Lions is their tackles. We were playing a reserve tackle at RGuard and a few snaps for the average Right Guard returning from injury. Connolly is the weakest member of the starting O-line. On top of that Wendell is a tough guy, but significantly outsized by the Lion DTs.

Marcus Cannon has not yet returned, but it appears emmanent since he is is practicing in the other field. He is my hope to elevate the RG position to a dominant one. He is bigger, and quicker and younger than Connolly, and could be a dominant RG, IMHO. (Maybe Dante agrees)

Everyone overlooks the fact that the secondary was playing without its starting RCB and a principle reserve CB too,and resorting toa rookie. In addition, Adrian was adopting to his coverage LB role. It did extraordinarily well, considering.

Plus I really get irritated at the facile way some posters pick on Tavon Wilson. :mad:

He was drafted to play in-the-box SS with a scoosh more coverage ability than the typical SS. He did make failing Patrick Chung expendable, as was planned when he was drafted for SS.

In the absence of sufficient deep FS talent last year, and Adrian Wilson taking the in-the-box and LB roles this TC, the coaches have experimented with him playing out of position at deep FS, again. His build is not oriented that way . He is speedy but too bulky and not quick enough, but a hard hitter, and he tries. That is why FS Duran was drafted in the third round.

It's like if the coaches said to Vince Wilfork go try to play deep FS, we need one. When Vince proved not satisfactory, the fans instead of congratulating for the effort, jumped down his throat and said he sucks. Period.

I suspect covering up on their misgivings at Tavon's selection. With which he had nothing to do, of course.
Tavon is here to inherit Chungs SS position when Gregory and Adrian move on in a year or two. Meanwhile he has made himself a ST maven. :)

Yeah, that 4th/inches "attempt" was really weak. No push whatsoever from the OL, and
Develin simply doesn't have the instincts/experience to find whatever room was available.
Situations like that scream for a Ridley/Vereen backfield.

There was no push and no attempt at misdirection. That play was doomed against a DL like that. I don't care who gets the hand-off. Still, Develin is way too tall to play that upright and expect to get anywhere after contact. For all the talk of whether we will have a "pure FB" on the roster, he was actually a DL in college. After watching the Packers use DJ Williams as FB/H-back role, I'd like to see that Pat's pick-up a smaller, faster TE than Hooman to fill that role later this year and put him on the PS initially. I haven't see them try Fells in that role. He moves well in space, but he's bigger than the prototype and his lack of experience could hurt when it comes time for blitz pickup in that formation.

To be honest, the only thing that bugged me about this game was the turnovers in the 1st quarter. Everything else is just preseason and that's all it is. The Lions destroyed us with delay blitzes a couple of years ago and the Pats came back in the regular season and blew them out in the 2nd half.

Who cares what happened in the 2nd half of a preseason game? Gregory and Wilson can't tackle? Cole can't cover? Tarpinian is sub par on the field? Like we didn't know this already?

Sure the first team had hiccups but so what. They didn't play all 4 quarters. Disappointed in the rookie Collins but that's my fault for thinking he has going to be defensive rookie of the year after 2 preseason games.

Not worried in the least and I'm glad Espn and the national media jumped ship.. One week BB is a genius for assembling a wr core, the next week he is an idiot. Love the media hate and it wouldn't feel right if they weren't hating.

After rewatching the game, I was kinda impressed with Joe Vellano. Pretty stout for such an undersized DT.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back