PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thought - the car industry isn't the only thing struggling in Detriot ed.

Re: Post Game Thought - the car industry isn't the only thing struggling in Detriot e

As to the o-line, the o-line was awful in the preseason last year. Remember how this board with torn apart because people were fighting about how Belichick blew it by insulting Brian Waters with a low ball offer which sent him in retirement on principle (now it seems that Waters only wants to play for big bucks and there probably was nothing they could have done). People thought it was going to blow the Pats' chances of making it to the playoffs or be one and done.

What happened is that the Pats' o-line ended up being the best it has been in years. And the Pats went to the AFCCG.

I think Connolly and Cannon will be back for the regular season and this has the potential to be the best o-line in years.

Re: Post Game Thought - the car industry isn't the only thing struggling in Detriot e

Did Justin Francis play? I don't remember seeing him. I was really disappointed in Buchanan and Bequette last night - I has Cunningham as a possible cut but after the poor performances by those two, now I'm not so sure.

Francis was inactive last night from what I remember. I could have sworn he was one of the players named that didn't dress.

As to the o-line, the o-line was awful in the preseason last year. Remember how this board with torn apart because people were fighting about how Belichick blew it by insulting Brian Waters with a low ball offer which sent him in retirement on principle (now it seems that Waters only wants to play for big bucks and there probably was nothing they could have done). People thought it was going to blow the Pats' chances of making it to the playoffs or be one and done.

What happened is that the Pats' o-line ended up being the best it has been in years. And the Pats went to the AFCCG.

I think Connolly and Cannon will be back for the regular season and this has the potential to be the best o-line in years.

Totally agree. The last couple of years the majority of the final four teams have been real physical up front. With some luck/health I see no reason this years version couldn't be championship worthy.

Francis was inactive last night from what I remember. I could have sworn he was one of the players named that didn't dress.

Thanks.

So as a question to everyone, where do you see our backup pass-rush?

Bequette and Buchanan have underwhelmed in pre-season, particularly in the last two games.

Justin Francis hasn't done much either but finished off last season well.

Cunningham must be close to the bubble and hasn't had a pre-season snap.

Marcus Benard has flattered in camp but performed less well in games and has played a significant amount of time inside.

Outside of Benard, I really don't see where the backup sacks are coming from. Still holding out some hope that Buchanan finds a way to leverage his length and good athleticism.

One thing last night showed me is that the Front 7 is legit in rushing the passer and Kenbrell Thompkins is the real deal...

theres no doubt he is our starting x receiver with a mix of dobson/boyce/edelman playing the #3 spot he's just much more polished than the other two rookies and its clear brady has alot of trust in him. also was nice to see how much separation he got from his defenders.

im sure dobson/boyce/edelman will contribute this year (thinking maybe 300yards for dobson) but Thompkins has a real opportunity to be a breakout star.

I also wish they gave sudfeld more of a chance to redeem himself after that fumble instead of benching him. he's clearly our 2nd best tight end after Gronk and has nice skills catching the ball. but im sure thats something they will work on this week and he will bounce back

Thanks.

Bequette and Buchanan have underwhelmed in pre-season, particularly in the last two games.

Marcus Benard has flattered in camp but performed less well in games and has played a significant amount of time inside.

Outside of Benard, I really don't see where the backup sacks are coming from. Still holding out some hope that Buchanan finds a way to leverage his length and good athleticism.

I don't understand why they're playing Benard inside, other than perhaps simply to gauge if he can. Seems like he'd be much more effective rushing from the outside.

Thanks.

The back-up sacks could have came from Ninkovich or Abraham when one of the two came in to spell one another. But oh well. Sadly, Cunningham might make the roster again because everyone outside of Ninkovich and Jones has underwhelmed. This defense is painfully thin in almost every area.

Speaking of depth, the good news is that Logan Ryan has put together two solid performances in a row. So that's grounds for optimism.

On the flip side, McCourty is getting right up there with Wilfork on the "players we absolutely cannot afford to lose" scale.

Some comments on the comments

1. The Wendell hate is simply ludicrous. Its a perfect example of a preconceived image becoming the common wisdom. Up until last season, Wendell was thought of as an overachieving PS player, who MIGHT develop into a competent backup. No one, including myself considered him possibly winning the C job last season.

BUT the fact is, he did, and much to my surprise, by ALL accounts, he not only did an "adequate" job, he excelled at it. So unless the mavens of offensive line play here on this site were privy to all the line calls and responsibilities, any of their negative rantings should be taken with a grain of salt. He not only beat out Dan Koppen, he beat out Dan Connolly. Believe me if Connolly was the better C, he would have been at that position. Its a lot harder to find a good C, than it is to find a RG.

Wendell proved his worth in TC beating out 2 solid and competent players, and proved it again over the course of 18 games last season. He doesn't have to answer to "so called" experts who get their rocks off making ignorant judgements based solely on past impressions and casual observations

2. That being said, the OL play across the board was substandard, not as good as we hoped, not as bad as it seemed. Since the fact is that NONE of us is privy to the line calls and assignments I think the fairest way to judge the OL is as a group, because if there was ever a group which optimized the sum being greater than the individual parts its the OL.

3. Last night's grade for the first team OL was probably a C, C-. However I'd lower it a half a grade to a D+ because of my higher expectations for this group. I expect them to be one of the best in the league, and last night they clearly weren't. But I'm not worried. Dante has about 20 days to whip them into shape. The talent is there. The coaching is there, and I'm hoping Marcus Cannon will be there as well.

4. The tackling issue is one that is endemic to the entire NFL right now. All teams are going to have problems with this, because there is simply not enough time to practice this critical skill. Plus the investment made in these players these days is simply too high to risk live tackling in practice. So early in the season I'm not surprised that tackling is not up to par. However I assume that the more players get used to full speed looks, the better it will get.

5. IIRC, none of the Lions' completions were downfield. All the so called big games were made by short passes being turned into big gains after the catch. And if I recall correctly, in all of those cases, there was a Pats player who was in good position to make a play, but usually was guilty of over running the play. Something, again, that will happen less and less as the season goes on.

While coaches will go nuts with the guilty players, and make these missed tackles highlighted teaching points in meetings, The truth is, after the players leave the meeting room, they'll be secretly happy that the players were in position to make the play. As a coach, you can more easily tolerate a physical mistake, than a mental one.

6. I would hate to be a Lions fan. Their team is entirely unlikeable. Just thugs trying to pretend to be the Old Oakland Raiders from the 70's, and not succeeding. Their HC should be ashamed. I know I'd be if I coached this group. I know BB is a friend of Jim Schwartz, and wanted him on his staff, but I'm afraid he's a perfect example of a guy who has success as a coordinator, but fails as a leader. The Lions have clearly underperformed their talent.

Great point. Hard to believe that people expect excellence after only a month of limited practice time.

BB keeps telling us that this team has a LONG way to go before its ready for the season. Why do we all seem to not listen

Our starting defense really only has two weaknesses, starting SS, and our LB core better suited for old school football.

Our D-line: Great
Our CB trio: Great
Our FS: Great
Our LB core: Great vs. run, mediocre vs pass (mostly Spikes fault)
Our starting SS: Mediocre (Gregory or A. Wilson)

As others have said, then here goes our depth:

D-Line: Atrocious....Forston and Bernard as your 3rd DT and DE....uhh...
LB: Solid (Fletcher and Collins)
CB: Cole sucks, Dowling...nuff said, and a rookie in Ryan that while is improving, has a long way to go, mediocre.
SS: Bad.
FS: Bad.

The starting defense IMO is a top 10 D, best since 07. Any injury on the D-line or secondary and then it could tail off a good amount.

If Harmon becomes James Sanders, the pick is a good one.
A special teams note:

Leftover thoughts from Pats' loss - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

6. Rookie safety Duron Harmon served as the personal protector on the punt team. As the coaching staff considers which 46 players to dress on game day, special teams can be a big factor for a reserve safety like Harmon. He was also part of the top kickoff coverage unit and on the punt return unit.

Not a good game obviously but there are some positives and overall I still feel good about where this team is going.

Logan Ryan looked good tonight. Once Dennard gets back I think he will supply much better depth than we had last year.

The Dline looks very good. We will get more pressure this year than last.

Collins had a bad game overall but he looked good in game 2. Growing pains. By the end of the season I expect him to put it together.

The only defensive question they have (provided they stay healthy) is how will the LBs cover. This to me is currently main thing that needs to be answered before the playoffs. Hopefully Collins can be the answer and maybe A. Wilson will do better than he did tonight. Spikes and Hightower need to be off the field for those 2nd/3rd and long downs.

The safety spot opposite McCourty is still questionable but I think they will work it out. It looked okay tonight with Gregory and when they where getting pressure.

The offense I am not worried about. It will be fine and still a top 3 offense.

Agree that tackling is biggest problem. Rewatching game, aside from the short fields the Pats gave Detroit due to turnovers, missed tackles on short passes gave Detroit lots of extra passing yardage. Swing passes were passes any college QB could complete ( yes, even Tebow) and went for good yardage due to missed tackles.

All correctible. Pats starting D with Wilfork/Kelley should be stout. Shore up back end with Dennard (hopefully) and Pats should be in good shape if everyone stays healthy. Bring Collins and the rest of the backups in the rookie defense along and improvements should show up for the run to the playoffs.

Amendola,Gronk, Cannon and Connolly (rust knocked off) should give the Pats O a boost.

Also noticed Detroit #79 around Brady alot after plays. Detroit's version of C Jones but with not as much smartz :

Hightower needs to be off the field for those 2nd/3rd and long downs.

Disagree with this.

You're basically saying Hightower, after 1 season and 3 preseason games is a 1 down LB.

Disagree with this.

You're basically saying Hightower, after 1 season and 3 preseason games is a 1 down LB.
Yea just Spikes is the one that needs to come off, not Hightower.

Why does Det act like such thugs on the field? Especially during a pre season game? Speaks to coaching like no tomorrow IMO

I was shocked at how bad he was. Bad angles, soft in coverage and worst of all almost seemed to be avoiding contact at times.

guys think he makes the final gut? Love this guy in his prime..but his prime is past him

guys think he makes the final gut? Love this guy in his prime..but his prime is past him

Would have been nice to have Matt Elam. I hope to God that Jamie Collins makes us forget about him.

Some comments on the comments

1. The Wendell hate is simply ludicrous. Its a perfect example of a preconceived image becoming the common wisdom. Up until last season, Wendell was thought of as an overachieving PS player, who MIGHT develop into a competent backup. No one, including myself considered him possibly winning the C job last season.

BUT the fact is, he did, and much to my surprise, by ALL accounts, he not only did an "adequate" job, he excelled at it. So unless the mavens of offensive line play here on this site were privy to all the line calls and responsibilities, any of their negative rantings should be taken with a grain of salt. He not only beat out Dan Koppen, he beat out Dan Connolly. Believe me if Connolly was the better C, he would have been at that position. Its a lot harder to find a good C, than it is to find a RG.

Wendell proved his worth in TC beating out 2 solid and competent players, and proved it again over the course of 18 games last season. He doesn't have to answer to "so called" experts who get their rocks off making ignorant judgements based solely on past impressions and casual observations

6. I would hate to be a Lions fan. Their team is entirely unlikeable. Just thugs trying to pretend to be the Old Oakland Raiders from the 70's, and not succeeding. Their HC should be ashamed. I know I'd be if I coached this group. I know BB is a friend of Jim Schwartz, and wanted him on his staff, but I'm afraid he's a perfect example of a guy who has success as a coordinator, but fails as a leader. The Lions have clearly underperformed their talent.

Disagree with #1: Wendell's not even the best Center on his own team. I hope someone else
overpays him after this season.

Agree with #6: I hope we never, ever play the Loins in the pre-season ever, ever again.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back