PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thought - the car industry isn't the only thing struggling in Detriot ed.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With the caveot of this is the preseason and it could all mean absolutely nothing in the long run.

• Most of the biggest problems with the first team offense tonight are very fixable. Biggest is ball protection. I am expecting some gaunlet drills this week. Other things like route running needs to be worked on. I would be more concerned if the Pats were getting outclassed, but the Pats were shooting themselves in the foot on a lot of drives. The one area the Pats really struggle and were clearly outplayed was o-line.

• Which bring me to point two. I think Svitek really was the weak link on the o-line tonight. He was getting manhandled. I think it affected Vollmer's performance because he was constantly looking in to protect him. There was one play where Vollmer completely missed his block on the outside, it looked like he was expecting the TE to pick up the outside rush and he turned in to help Svitek and let the guy right by him.

• Another impressive performance by the Pats' D Line. Ninkovich, Jones, and Kelly all played well and won their battles quite a bit. As bad as the o-line struggled, the D Line dominated. If the preseason is any indicator, the Pats will have one of the better front four in the league. Maybe not top 5, but maybe top 10.

• Thompkins is the starter. He looks like a veteran. Take away that one drop and he had a solid night. Seems that he can do a little of everything. He can stretch the field, go over the middle, whatever they ask.

• I saw some really good with Dobson and some not so good with Dobson. He is definitely not ready to start, but he has shown enough to be the first guy off the bench with a hand full of packages to start. He definitely needs to work on his route running and separation some more. Granted as the #3 WR, he will have a lot of favorable match ups.

• Starting to fear that as good as the Pats' first two picks were in last year's draft, their next two may be wasted picks.

• Looks like Sudfeld was benched because of the fumble (he was in the game at the end of the game). I would have liked to see him get more reps with Brady especially since Hooman played uneven at best.

• The tackling by the second team defense was some of the worst I have seen. I don't even know how to describe it.

• I thought Logan Ryan showed some good flashes with the first team the few times he got in there (most notably breaking up the pass on a 3rd down when he was pass interfered on), but didn't play all that well at all with the second team. Not horrible, but some missteps.

• Jamie Collins is all over the place, but unfortunately not in a good way a lot of the time. This guy could be a stud as some point, but he needs a lot of refinement before he gets there. He over pursues and takes bad angles way too much.

• The Lions are a bunch of thugs and punks. They are dumb to boot. It is one thing to try to rough up the other team, but it is another to do it after the whistle.

• Jake Ballard is toast right now. I don't know if he will ever rebound from this injury, but he isn't ready. I can see why the Pats are rumored to be shopping for a TE. Assuming that Fells is healthy, they really have two until Gronk gets back (Fells and Sudfeld).

Didn't get too excited about the first two games. Won't get too excited the other way in this game. Some good signs. Some bad signs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Post Game Thought - the car industry isn't the only thing struggling in Detriot e

Ballard looks like he's D-O-N-E period. That leg looks like a cripple. I'd rather have an O lineman for his roster spot.

Hooman is so ordinary I can't imagine him cut and beinb g immediately picked up. I'd cut him and keep his number on speed dial.

The Buffalo game COULD be a real bloodfest if the Pats handle the rock like they did tonight...opening games are always impossible to predict.

Re: Post Game Thought - the car industry isn't the only thing struggling in Detriot e

*Adrian Wilson looked abysmal tonight.
*I was hoping someone would displace Gregory as a starter but Tavon Wilson has been awful and Duron Harmon has been uneven at best.
*Jake Ballard definitely isn't healthy and his career in the NFL is in jeopardy, which is sad since I considered it a brilliant move to snatch him from the Giants.
*Adequate depth at DT and DE needs to be addressed as none of the second team played well.
*It's still early but Tavon Wilson and Jake Bequette were both horrible selections
*Jamie Collins needs a lot of work

If there is any thing to look forward to from the past

Dan Wetzel ‏@DanWetzel 2h
Then threw for 517y, 4 TDs in opener RT @cpriceNFL In 2011 preseason game at Detroit, Brady was sacked twice, fumbled once, threw a pick

The Patriots lost their third exhibition game in 2001, 2004 and 2011, those years turned out alright especially the first two.

Just saw the taunting video of young on brady..Was really cheap.

*It's still early but Tavon Wilson and Jake Bequette were both horrible selections
It's not still too early at all. Tavon Wilson and Jake Bequette look like they belong in the CFL as strictly special teamers. Those picks are wasted in my book.

*Adrian Wilson looked abysmal tonight.
*I was hoping someone would displace Gregory as a starter but Tavon Wilson has been awful and Duron Harmon has been uneven at best.
*Jake Ballard definitely isn't healthy and his career in the NFL is in jeopardy, which is sad since I considered it a brilliant move to snatch him from the Giants.
*Adequate depth at DT and DE needs to be addressed as none of the second team played well.
*Jamie Collins needs a lot of work

Joe Vellano did pretty well replacing Wilfork tonight. Didn't really watch him specifically, but he certainly wasn't a liability.

It's not still too early at all. Tavon Wilson and Jake Bequette look like they belong in the CFL as strictly special teamers. Those picks are wasted in my book.

They can still turn the corner. I don't know how likely it is, but some players take a few years before they pull it together. Things aren't looking good right now.

The Patriots lost their third exhibition game in 2001, 2004 and 2011, those years turned out alright especially the first two.

A lot of other teams lost their 3rd exhibition games in those years too, and they have just about the same amount of relevance.

I look at it like this....the last time the pats got a beat down in a preseason game in det. they went to the SB. So i look at it as maybe a good omen.

Joe Vellano did pretty well replacing Wilfork tonight. Didn't really watch him specifically, but he certainly wasn't a liability.

Didn't he get injured or was that Grissom?

Didn't he get injured or was that Grissom?

Grissom

Grissom went straight to the locker room...not good...x rays I guess

I still think Dobson can be useful his rookie year. He's struggling with separation and really can't run precise routes ATM, but his curl route is solid. As a #3 WR deep threat, have him run curls and streaks to keep the defense honest. He's got open deep a couple times this preseason. Sadly, Mallett and Tebow aren't going to connect on those passes.

I still think Dobson can be useful his rookie year. He's struggling with separation and really can't run precise routes ATM, but his curl route is solid. As a #3 WR deep threat, have him run curls and streaks to keep the defense honest. He's got open deep a couple times this preseason. Sadly, Mallett and Tebow aren't going to connect on those passes.

Mallett's problem is not accuracy on the deep ball. . . .

this is the first time they played a team they did not practice with all week so im not shocked the all rookie receivers looked like rookies vs what I think will be a playoff team this year in the lions, Kelly looked great I think the pats will have a good starting front 4 but pass coverage will still be a big weakness

Right now I'd have to say the depth chart is:

Amendola
Thompkins
Edelman
Dobson
Boyce
Slater

But I think Boyce ends up with more snaps by the end of the season. I like Dobson but I think he is not as technically sound as Boyce and that's going to really start counting.

Doesn't matter, I'm in love with Thompkins at this point. That move off of the line he did was amazing.

Grissom went straight to the locker room...not good...x rays I guess

The reports are that there is no structural damage and he isn't seriously hurt. So it looks to be a false alarm.

Thoughts on the receivers

1. Thompkins' quickness off the line is unreal. It will be hard to play press coverage on him. I think he can average 5 catches a game. He definitely has the biggest route tree aside from Amendola.

2. Dobson looked nervous, which is usual for a rookie. But I think he needs to build up his confidence and have some swagger. He has all the physical tools.

3. Boyce looked ok. I thought he looked fast but didn't look quick. His breaks weren't impressive. He got open cos the coverage was soft, at least that was what it looked to me.

4. Edelman. Doing his usual thing. I think he will be in the mix a lot. Maybe 30 catches.

5. Sudfeld. It's funny. I just listened to PFW 8-20 episode and how they were saying that sudfeld will have a day like Gronk's rookie game against the browns. Lo and behold. It happened today.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back