PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thought - the car industry isn't the only thing struggling in Detriot ed.

Re: Post Game Thought - the car industry isn't the only thing struggling in Detriot e

It seems much more likely that Wendell or Connolly will start in 2014.

Dan Connolly will turn 31 before the season begins, and makes too much money to be a backup.

Ryan Wendell is in the final year of his contract and somebody will likely offer him more money than he is worth to the Patriots, similar to what happened with Donald Thomas this past spring.

Looking ahead to the 2014 season, Matt Stankiewitch could be the Patriots new starting center.

Re: Post Game Thought - the car industry isn't the only thing struggling in Detriot e

Pretty apt comparison. I've noticed that it's gotten more difficult for his apologists to defend him recently. Constantly out of position and consistently making mental errors. Just a god awful pick for a guy that probably could have been had in the sixth or seventh and, if not, then we weren't missing much anyway. The Bequette pick flies under the radar, but that was a bad pick as well. T.Y. Hilton went two picks later.

Bequette is awful. He'll either get cut this year, or next year depending on if BB wants to give him another year to develop. I just don't think he's good enough. Why waste a roster spot. Cut him now.

I feel the same way for Harmon too unfortunately.

Bequette is awful. He'll either get cut this year, or next year depending on if BB wants to give him another year to develop. I just don't think he's good enough. Why waste a roster spot. Cut him now.

I feel the same way for Harmon too unfortunately.

I hated where the Harmon pick was made, but I'm giving him at least a season to see what he can do before passing judgment on him. Last year, I knew that Tavon was on the wrong track pretty much after the Seahawks game. But I'll give Harmon the benefit of the doubt for now and hope that he can turn into something solid for us.

I hated where the Harmon pick was made, but I'm giving him at least a season to see what he can do before passing judgment on him. Last year, I knew that Tavon was on the wrong track pretty much after the Seahawks game. But I'll give Harmon the benefit of the doubt for now and hope that he can turn into something solid for us.

To make another comparison, Harmon is like a poor man's James Sanders. From what I've seen, he takes awful angles and just isn't athletic or fast enough to play in the open space. At least with Sanders, his instincts were pretty good and he managed to put himself in position to do his job. Maybe Harmon can develop the same instincts. If he did, then he'd just be another Steve Gregory lol.

Offensive line

We had one of the best offensive lines in the NFL last year. We played one of the best DL's in the league. Their defense decided to take away the run and force Brady to win in the passing game. When this happens, the patriots should be in ZERO trouble with Brady at the helm. After FOUR turnovers, we were still down only 13-3. The problem wasn't with the OL.
We could have won the game in the first half without the turnovers. We could have come back after the half, with adjustments, and have been strongly favored.

WENDELL was judged by all non-posters as a top center (as was Koppen before him).

CONNOLLY is finally back. He may or may not be a stronger center than Wendell. I think not, but we'll see what dante does. I certainly have no problems with Connolly starting at center.

VOLLMER met his match. It happens.

SVITEK is a tackle. I don't understand all the abuse because he had a bad day at OG against one of the best defensive lines in the NFL. His job is backup tackle. He is also an emergency backup guard if there are two injuries. I think that Svitek has done fine.

CANNON is the key to all your wet dreams of making Wendell or Connolly a backup. Personally, I have seen nothing in his play to suggest that he is better than Connolly at RG. But that is for dante to decide. More importantly, with his being out, he has missed lots and lots of potential reps at RG.

The BACKUP offensive line was simply dreadful. I suppose some of these may make the Practice Squad. Dante may be better off finding his young students from the cuts from other teams.

To make another comparison, Harmon is like a poor man's James Sanders. From what I've seen, he takes awful angles and just isn't athletic or fast enough to play in the open space. At least with Sanders, his instincts were pretty good and he managed to put himself in position to do his job. Maybe Harmon can develop the same instincts. If he did, then he'd just be another Steve Gregory lol.

Harmon is more athletic than Sanders was.

Maybe he is, but is he starting NFL safety athletic? Especially the way offenses are played now and the reliance on safeties who can cover WRs? I don't think so. Just my opinion from watching 3 preseason games and some Rutgers games the past few years.

If he proves me wrong, I'll happily eat crow.

First string defense played very well

It may be difficult to remember, but the 1st string defense played very well. The front line played very well. VELLANO was a pleasant surprise.

ARRINGTON played fine. Ryan was OK for a rookie.

Mayo missed a big tackle. And A Wilson had problems with Bush ( this will happen to a lot of players). The defense is a work in progress, but we should someone emerge as a coverage linebacker and/or dime back: Collins, Fletcher, A Wilson and/or Hightower.

We need DENNARD back to take the reps from Cole.

SAFETY is a weakness. Belichick has been trying to replace Meriweather and Sanders for years. Perhaps, looking back, they weren't all that bad. In any case, McCourty is a pro-bowler. And we have reasonable backup veterans in Gregory and A. Wilson. Unfortunately, we don't have a quality starter opposite McCourty. T Wilson didn't look bad. He is improving. He is a very solid special teamer, so he should be fine as a #4 S. Harmon has shown that he isn't ready to be active in other than a preseason game. He needs at least a year of development.

The BACKUP defensive line has serious issues. Many of us have been saying this since long before the draft. It's absolutely great that we have added 2 players in the last 2 years and given us a top level starting DL. Jones and Kelly are stars. The issue is that there are 4-5 backup positions that need at least SOME quality. Benard is the only player among all of these that has stood out at all.

I think Vollmer is getting some undue criticism today. As I said, I think a lot of his problems last night was because he had to cover for Svitek who struggled big time. That is problem with the offensive line. One player struggles and it can affect the entire line.

Re: Offensive line

The problem wasn't with the OL.
We could have won the game in the first half without the turnovers.

While the turnovers were part of the issue the OL certainly was an issue. The running game had no push and the one decent run was called back on a hold. Brady was pressured, hit and sacked a lot. It was a SB 42 performance. Will they be fine? Most weeks yes but this calls into question what happens if they face this type of line in the playoffs?

Cutting James Sanders was one of Belichick's worst decisions. Sanders would be starting for us on this team. I would be more than fine with Harmon if he becomes the solid backup safety that Sanders was.

Re: First string defense played very well

SAFETY is a weakness. Belichick has been trying to replace Meriweather and Sanders for years. Perhaps, looking back, they weren't all that bad. In any case, McCourty is a pro-bowler. And we have reasonable backup veterans in Gregory and A. Wilson. Unfortunately, we don't have a quality starter opposite McCourty. T Wilson didn't look bad. He is improving. He is a very solid special teamer, so he should be fine as a #4 S. Harmon has shown that he isn't ready to be active in other than a preseason game. He needs at least a year of development.

T. Wilson blows. Hopefully he'll improve if he's kept on the team, but let's not kid ourselves here. He's awful right now.

While the turnovers were part of the issue the OL certainly was an issue. The running game had no push and the one decent run was called back on a hold. Brady was pressured, hit and sacked a lot. It was a SB 42 performance. Will they be fine? Most weeks yes but this calls into question what happens if they face this type of line in the playoffs?
Let's not get carried away here either. It was just a preseason game and they didn't have their entire starting OL intact.

Re: First string defense played very well

fair enough

Both T Wilson and Harmon are awful right now. I expect to see T Wilson on the active roster each week, as the #4 safety, because of his special team play.

But no, I don't want to see any defensive reps from any of our safeties, beyond our "top" three.

T. Wilson blows. Hopefully he'll improve if he's kept on the team, but let's not kid ourselves here. He's awful right now.

Turnovers are fixable better to get them out of the way now then when it matters. Sudfeld had a rookie turnover while Bolden and Vereen should know better. This game I saw the pats take it like a preseason game and the lions like their superbowl

Cutting James Sanders was one of Belichick's worst decisions. Sanders would be starting for us on this team. I would be more than fine with Harmon if he becomes the solid backup safety that Sanders was.

While I agree that cutting Sanders was likely a mistake, I think it's a stretch to say he'd be a starter currently, given that he's no longer in the league.

Let's not get carried away here either. It was just a preseason game and they didn't have their entire starting OL intact.

I agree and I wasn't advocating jumping off the Tobin just saying it was a bad sign given the OL's history against physical athletic DLs.

If Harmon becomes James Sanders, the pick is a good one.

Did Justin Francis play? I don't remember seeing him. I was really disappointed in Buchanan and Bequette last night - I has Cunningham as a possible cut but after the poor performances by those two, now I'm not so sure.

Did Justin Francis play? I don't remember seeing him. I was really disappointed in Buchanan and Bequette last night - I has Cunningham as a possible cut but after the poor performances by those two, now I'm not so sure.

I don't remember him and not in the first half for certain.

Defensive snaps: Gregory & McCourty - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

CB Kyle Arrington -- 36 of 36
S Steve Gregory -- 36 of 36
DE Chandler Jones -- 36 of 36
DE Rob Ninkovich -- 36 of 36
CB Aqib Talib -- 36 of 36
DT Tommy Kelly -- 26 of 36
LB Dont'a Hightower -- 23 of 36
LB Brandon Spikes -- 23 of 36
DT Joe Vellano -- 23 of 36
CB Logan Ryan -- 19 of 36
S Duron Harmon -- 18 of 36
S Devin McCourty -- 16 of 36
S Adrian Wilson -- 15 of 36
DE Marcus Benard -- 13 of 36
LB Jerod Mayo -- 13 of 36
LB Jamie Collins -- 11 of 36
DT Marcus Forston -- 10 of 36
LB Dane Fletcher -- 6 of 36

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back