PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Polian approach vs. BB philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
What rules are stacked against them exactly ?
Polian is the "Shula" of this generation. Like Larry Czonka said, "we always played by the rules. Because if there was a rule we didn't like "Shoes" aka Shula was on the comp. committee and would have it changed" :mad:

While Polian is an irritating p***k (rhymes with sick), he does have

a talent for drafting players and signing undrafted free agents. The

high salaries the Colts have paid out to players in the past and the loss

of good defensive players would have made the Colts an also ran except

for Polian's drafting prowess. He does have too much influence over

NFL rules changes which benefit his team.

I could be wrong but it sounds like he is saying the rules are stacked against you in maintaining a winning team on a consistant basis.

I agree. I don't think he meant the rules were stacked against Indy, but that the rules are stacked against a team consistently winning their division and being a top tier team year after year.

Polian says enough moronic things that I don't feel compelled to over scrutinize this particular quote in order to make fun of him.

The Pats have been around what, almost 50 years? You have 3 SB wins. The Colts have been in Indy 23 years, we have one and are contenders this year and probably will be for the near future, not a dynasty yet but give us the same amount of time the Pats have been around and we'll see what happens. It took you 40 years to win your first one.

:rofl: You are pathetic.

just when you think it can't get any worse...Jack ***ley starts braying like the neutered offspring of a mule and a donkey

Polian has distorted the rules of the Game to make a great passing attack have much more ability to dominate and win every week. the penalties for contact and Pi are much more common than heretofore.

Proof of the statement. Air Coreyell never won a Super bowl. The "Greatest Show on Turf" won exactly once.

As Polian exerted his influence, on the Competition committee, the Colts have been competitive every year with a disaster as a Defense, until last year when they parleyed a great passing offense and a merely respectable Defense for a few weeks, to win a Super bowl.

Belichick is not a fool. He views the world realistically. He would rather join them than fight them. Or simply lose and rage about the unfairness of it all. Belichick instead constructed a great passing Offense and is producing an undefeated team, that some are saying is the "best", whatever that is, of all time.

The majority of Super bowl winning teams over the years have had very good defenses and balanced offenses that could both run and pass with a preference for rushing. Not anymore. The great balanced teams are merely mediocre in the present environment dictated by the Rules of today. Look at the Steelers and Jags.

The last time this occurred was in the first few years of the AFL in the 1960s, when that league was trying to get noticed; and just did not have enough defensive players to make a difference.:eek:
Well said.

What rules are stacked against them exactly ?

I am sure the one he desires most to change is the one that limits the Colts spending to below the cap of all NFL teams.

Because from here on it will remain hard for INDY to field a playoff team year in and year out. With large Percentage of cap space tied up in just 3 or 4 players they must rely on a hit or miss draft each year to remain competitive.

One bad draft and they are in trouble with no where to go to find answers and thus will have to GRIN AND BEAR IT......on yeah guess we might be the ones grinning.

Polian has distorted the rules of the Game to make a great passing attack have much more ability to dominate and win every week. the penalties for contact and Pi are much more common than heretofore.

Proof of the statement. Air Coreyell never won a Super bowl. The "Greatest Show on Turf" won exactly once.

As Polian exerted his influence, on the Competition committee, the Colts have been competitive every year with a disaster as a Defense, until last year when they parleyed a great passing offense and a merely respectable Defense for a few weeks, to win a Super bowl.

Belichick is not a fool. He views the world realistically. He would rather join them than fight them. Or simply lose and rage about the unfairness of it all. Belichick instead constructed a great passing Offense and is producing an undefeated team, that some are saying is the "best", whatever that is, of all time.

The majority of Super bowl winning teams over the years have had very good defenses and balanced offenses that could both run and pass with a preference for rushing. Not anymore. The great balanced teams are merely mediocre in the present environment dictated by the Rules of today. Look at the Steelers and Jags.

The last time this occurred was in the first few years of the AFL in the 1960s, when that league was trying to get noticed; and just did not have enough defensive players to make a difference.:eek:

I disagree with the pass/run statements here. Since the 80's there have been plenty of pass first teams that went all the way. The 49ers, NE, TB and StL off the top of my head all prior to the Polian switch.

If you go back further I can see the case for a "preference for rushing" but I just don't see it since then. Sure you can point to teams like Denver and Baltimore, but they don't outweigh the one I listed, and I think it is entirely debatable whether Dallas preferred to run. Who else was there?

This leaning on the passing game is not a siezmic shift, it is what teams have done for some years now. Pass to score and run to win. Even Pitt in 2005 was pass heavy in the first half of the Indy and Denver games only to run it out in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back