PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SF Players Didn't Know The Overtime Rules. WOW!

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Why didn't SF choose to defer and allow KC to receive in OT, clearly the best strategy given the new rules.

Clearly KC has a great advantage when they got the ball. All series were 4 down territory. They KNEW that getting a field goal was a fall-back strategy while they focused on getting the TD/

It's tricky cause if the 49ers chose to deffer the Chiefs could've scored a TD and then if the 49ers matched it the Chiefs would've had first possession sudden death. The 49ers defense was gassed at that point too

It's tricky cause if the 49ers chose to deffer the Chiefs could've scored a TD and then if the 49ers matched it the Chiefs would've had first possession sudden death. The 49ers defense was gassed at that point too
Exactly, team that defers potentially has their D out there twice during the 1st and 3rd series, if both teams score. 9ers D had held Mahomes to fgs the entire game aside for the punt TO. I understand his decision.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Always defer is my new modo after seeing it first hand.

Exactly, team that defers potentially has their D out there twice during the 1st and 3rd series, if both teams score. 9ers D had held Mahomes to fgs the entire game aside for the punt TO. I understand his decision.
I guess the only argument to that is you can always go for the 2pt conversion but that's probably only Campbell ballsy enough to do that

I guess the only argument to that is you can always go for the 2pt conversion but that's probably only Campbell ballsy enough to do that
If he doesn't convert = Campbell

Bottom line is decisions by losing HC are always 2nd guessed, 100% of the time.

Lol, this is a big nothingburger. The Ref explains the rules before OT starts. You don't need a PhD to understand them. The only decision that matters is to receive or differ, if you're lucky enough to win the coin toss (50/50). Then just play ball.

It’s “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” with this situation.

Had SF decided to start on D and KC marched down the field, scored a TD and then SF failed; Shanahan would have been crucified for making that decision.

The SB losing HC always gets second-guessed and criticized…that comes with the territory of losing the big game.

The 49ers players not knowing the OT rules is specifically on the coaching staff. Not just Shanahan, but the ENTIRE staff.
BTW, I had no intention to question the coach's decisions.

What I was commenting on was just how uniformed the SF players were. KC discussed the situation many times and "practiced" scenarios over the last two weeks.

Lol, this is a big nothingburger. The Ref explains the rules before OT starts. You don't need a PhD to understand them. The only decision that matters is to receive or differ, if you're lucky enough to win the coin toss (50/50). Then just play ball.
Yeah his 3rd quarter play calling has more to do with this loss than OT call

BTW, I had no intention to question the coach's decisions.

What I was commenting on was just how uniformed the SF players were. KC discussed the situation many times and "practiced" scenarios over the last two weeks.

What's to practice for the players? The coaches create and call the strategy during the game.

What's to practice for the players? The coaches create and call the strategy during the game.
yup, that's the SF plan. Coaches make the decisions and the players follow them; no need to understand the situation and to make smarter decisions on the field.

Then you go for 2

Gotta be able to execute in either scenario. In theory either way should be equal or close to it that's why the NFL changed the rules right.

I don't agree that deferring is the smart choice - although the people saying they should have deferred really mean they should have selected to kick the ball. If you defer, you give the other team the choice to kick it. That aside....

This isn't like college where each team is guaranteed the same number of possessions. You are merely guaranteed one possession. If both teams score an equal number of points on that first possession, be it a TD, a FG or no points at all, then you go to sudden death.

So going into sudden death, would you rather be receiving the ball or have the other team receiving the ball?

KC did not win because of SF's decision to receive the ball. KC won because they executed and SF did not. Each team had 1st and 10 inside the red zone. SF went 3 plays, 6 yards, kick a FG. KC went 3 plays, 13 yards into the end zone. If SF holds KC to 3 in the red zone (like KC had stopped SF) then the HUGE advantage shifts to SF.

Last edited:
Does anyone really believe the 9'ers players did not know the OT rules??
Fred Warner has played in 100+ games for that team, he didn't know??
If not Kyle Shanahan and his crew deserve all the criticism they get..
This whole "did not know the rules" is spin and BS...

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back