PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

SF Players Didn't Know The Overtime Rules. WOW!

Meaning the media would have complained regardless of the decision Shanahan made….take the ball first in OT or choose to play D first.

He lost so consequently the losing coach always gets critiqued and criticized.
I honestly believe that all coaches would kick in the future if the rules are properly understood. The only possible defense, IMO, is the fact that his defense was tired. But that's not what he said.

Last edited:
I listened to Felger and Mazz this afternoon. They had video from all the national media talking about this, Colin Cowherd, ESPN, etc. And the whole time the discussion was framed as Shanahan versus Mahomes. Mahomes is great, that's why Shanahan lost, not because of any coaching mistakes. Only Mazz chimed in to offer that KC really won because of their defense over the last several games.

Why is Shanahan the focus? Only because he's considered an offensive whiz kid and he has Brock Purdy.

So who is the guy never mentioned but who should've been mentioned? Andy Reid. Why is he forgotten? Because he has Mahomes.

It's a mindless thing to forget what Andy Reid called on the last few drives. He pulled a play they hadn't run all season. He had innovative bunch formations. But the neatest thing of all was watching them run the simplest play imaginable for 28 yards on a crucial 3rd down at the 9ers 38 yard line. They ran a shallow cross to Kelce. He took it for 28 yards. Now, anyone could have thrown that ball, you didn't need Mahomes, it wasn't a play with a great design, but it confused the 9ers D because they hadn't seen it before, and Reid suckered them all game with deeper stuff. He set them up with a play that had a high chance of being executed well, a simple play, but it was against the run of his offensive design. This is the kind of thing a coach does when he doesn't need to be innovative. He only needs to know how to kick your butt.

And that's what Andy Reid did. He deserves a lot of credit, and people should stop looking at the young "innovative" coaches and start looking at the masters of the game who simply know how to coach football. They run circles against these kids.

Does anyone really believe the 9'ers players did not know the OT rules??
Fred Warner has played in 100+ games for that team, he didn't know??
If not Kyle Shanahan and his crew deserve all the criticism they get..
This whole "did not know the rules" is spin and BS...
read the press

There was a huge difference between the knowledge of SF players and KC players/

I understand that the choice is not 100% clear, How tired the SF Defense was could certainly be an issue.

HOWEVER, as a general proposition, I would much rather my Offense have 4 downs on their first drive and know how many points they need.

I understand that the choice is not 100% clear, How tired the SF Defense was could certainly be an issue.

HOWEVER, as a general proposition, I would much rather my Offense have 4 downs on their first drive and know how many points they need.
Since when does the first team to get the ball not have 4 downs???

read the press

There was a huge difference between the knowledge of SF players and KC players/
That is why I said: If not Kyle Shanahan and his crew deserve all the criticism they get..

I did not see this, but before a coin toss doesn't the player calling it get instructions from the Coach regarding to receive or defer and what side to defend??

I agree. To think someone doesn’t realize the team that gets the ball first also has 4 downs is mind boggling.

That is why I said: If not Kyle Shanahan and his crew deserve all the criticism they get..

I did not see this, but before a coin toss doesn't the player calling it get instructions from the Coach regarding to receive or defer and what side to defend??
Unless you’re Jaire Alexander, yes.

It doesn't matter if the players knew the rules or not--seems like the coaches didn't. I don't buy the argument that the third possession is the most important. KC proved that theory wrong.

My analogue is this: if baseball started extra inning games with a coin toss, would any team ever choose to bat first? Of course not.

Yet another overblown talking point.

My analogue is this: if baseball started extra inning games with a coin toss, would any team ever choose to bat first? Of course not.
If the rules were such that after the 10th inning it was sudden death, then every single team would choose to bat first.

I suggest reading this article: Home Field Advantage and Extra Innings: Some Continuing Research
Even if extra inning baseball games were switched to sudden death, home teams would still have an advantage.
LOL!! My friend, I suggest you read the article because it doesn't even remotely state what you claim it does.

The writer defines "sudden death" in baseball as the team who leads the game at the end of a full inning. Current baseball extra inning rules already are sudden death, as he defines it in the context of that sport. So yeah, the home team has an advantage.

Meanwhile, when I - and everyone else in this thread - talk about sudden death in football, it means "the next team to score wins the game and the game is over." With all due respect, if a baseball game is heading into the top of the 10th, the notion that being the home team in a "next team to score wins the game and then game is over right then and there" situation is quite ridiculous, especially under the post-covid rules which the writer of your article analyzes.

Andy Reid is old and while he has 3 Super Bowl rings Shanahan is young and relates to the NFL players of today.

The 49ers are the real winners when you think about it.

Since when does the first team to get the ball not have 4 downs???
When SF had to take the FG because they foolishly opted to take the ball first.

Thank you. Complete overreaction and meaningless point. The only ones who needed to know about the OT rules are the coaching staff, to decide to kick or receive. Besides that, the players just play
The Chiefs players knew that if they score a TD its game over. Thats motivating.

Hardman claiming he did not know the OT rules is because KC traded him to the Jets in March 2023 and Hardman did not attend KC camp. Furthermore, Hardman blacked out after scoring the SB TD and Mahomes had to tell him that KC won.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back