PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Pats will decline Stallworth's option, cut by Friday deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im assuming by Friday, we will franchise Moss, and cut Stallworth, or else , stallworth getting cut would not be a option right now..

I'd still much rather sign Moss to a 3 year deal than franchise him. I'd live with him being franchised though, of course.

Last edited:
WR#1 Randy Moss
WR#2 Chad Jackson
WR#3 Wes Welker (slot)
WR#4 Jabar Gaffney

Draft Dexter Jackson in the later rounds hes a Welker clone, then we got two slot WRs. I think Chad Jackson is a better receiver than Stallworth, he will light it up next year. Jabar wont be that difficult to replace if he doesnt resign but it would be great to have him back.

Someone of you has heard about Berrian targeted by the Pats?

If we run a similar offence to last season then the #2 WR is the easiest of the three WR postitions to replace IMO. Moss and Welker are simply amazing at what they do, and will enable almost anyone to be relatively productive in the #2 spot. For me, re-signing Moss is essential, and CJ, Jabar or a draft pick can battle for that spot!

And there's a decent chance K. Washington will come back and enjoy a bigger role on the offense. Still, I'd love for the Pats to pick up Arrington with one of the 3rds in the draft.

By Arrington, do you mean Adrian Arrington, formerly of the Wolverines?

The same one what has "[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Some off-field issues (domestic assault charge, another undisclosed incident) led to suspension for the 2005 Alamo Bowl and 2007 spring practice."

Why would the Pats waste a 3rd on him when he can probably be had in the 5th or 6th or 7th rounds?

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Jackson has had 3 different injuries. Injury prone.

For a guy with so much speed and ability it makes you wonder why the Pats brought back Bethel Johnson to possibly return kicks.

He wasn't injury prone prior to getting here. Also, you can't hold a torn ACL against the guy. And it was that torn ACL that he was recovering from this year.

Other than the hamstring to start the year last year (which was re-aggravated because he came back too early), what was the 3rd injury?

How much is Stallworth worth on the open market?

How much is Stallworth worth on the open market?

I don't think Stallworth is worth as much as he might think he is. It sure didn't help him that Gaffney was seeing as much or more time on the field by the end of the season than he was.

He wasn't injury prone prior to getting here. Also, you can't hold a torn ACL against the guy. And it was that torn ACL that he was recovering from this year.

Other than the hamstring to start the year last year (which was re-aggravated because he came back too early), what was the 3rd injury?

The poster will probably reply with groin, but that was a result of the hamstring, I believe. So it's really just one injury as far as I'm concerned.

It's besides the point. I don't really know what the phrase "injury prone" really means in relation to football. It's a violent game. Frankly, it probably just means bad luck. Is there anything about Chad Jackson that made his ACL tear while on ST duties in the AFCCG vs. the Colts? No, it's a freak injury.

He's red-shirted his first two years. He's been under Moss' wing this season and spent extra time working with McD on the playbook. He has all the physical tools to be a #1 receiver, and he projects to be a much more versatile and all-around receiver than Stallworth is, particularly in our system.

Last edited:

I think a lot of people seem to forget some of this stuff. Chad Jackson was a very tough and durable WR throughout his HS and college career. He got a lot of his time working out of the slot in his final season at Florida, and the Gators ran their offense through him (Chad recorded 88 recepts that year). He was the offensive team captain at Hoover, and broke a few long standing records during his HS and college career. While these are all previous achievements, I still think it is important for people to realize what some of us have liked about him, and why we still believe he could be an effective WR in the NFL. I also think some of his mental/maturity issues have been overblown. I remember BB talking about how well he retained the portion of the playbook BB had given him during a pre-draft meeting, and I also remember how much Urban simply loved the kid.

Hopefully he'll stay healthy through the offseason and remain healthy through training camp. If NE doesn't have Stallworth they are going to need someone who can replace his athleticism and speed. I like Gaffney and think he's a good receiver, but I don't think he's the man for that particular job on a full time basis. Chad has that speed and athleticism. He can also break tackles with his strength, so maybe he could fit the bill. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

PS: I'm interested to see what CJ Jones does during training camp and this preseason. I think he could develop into a nice returner, and potential 4th/5th WR. Let's also not forget about Bam, who's actually a pretty tough little receiver, and could be a decent 5th option.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people seem to forget some of this stuff. Chad Jackson was a very tough and durable WR throughout his HS and college career. He got a lot of his time working out of the slot in his final season at Florida, and the Gators ran their offense through him (Chad recorded 88 recepts that year). He was the offensive team captain at Hoover, and broke a few long standing records during his HS and college career. While these are all previous achievements, I still think it is important for people to realize what some of us have liked about him, and why we still believe he could be an effective WR in the NFL. I also think some of his mental/maturity issues have been overblown. I remember BB talking about how well he retained the portion of the playbook BB had given him during a pre-draft meeting, and I also remember how much Urban simply loved the kid.

Hopefully he'll stay healthy through the offseason and remain healthy through training camp. If NE doesn't have Stallworth they are going to need someone who can replace his athleticism and speed. I like Gaffney and think he's a good receiver, but I don't think he's the man for that job. Chad has that speed and athleticism. He can also break tackles with his strength, so maybe he could fit the bill. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

Good post. It's funny how quickly Jackson's reputation changed thanks to murmurs and rumblings from those seemingly out to get him (AllisonLovesBrady....?). Jackson going into the draft was noted for being a smart receiver, good route-running who had excelled in two different roles in two different offenses...next thing you know, fans and the media are calling him just another primadonna wideout, a sure Bethel Johnson bust who offers up nothing but burner capabilities.

Good post. It's funny how quickly Jackson's reputation changed thanks to murmurs and rumblings from those seemingly out to get him (AllisonLovesBrady....?). Jackson going into the draft was noted for being a smart receiver, good route-running who had excelled in two different roles in two different offenses...next thing you know, fans and the media are calling him just another primadonna wideout, a sure Bethel Johnson bust who offers up nothing but burner capabilities.

Exactly. I don't know why he started getting the burner with bad hands and little route running ability tag. The guy actually has great hands, and made some amazing catches in college. He actually even made a few tough catches his rookie season (during the little action he did get). And, as you noted he wasn't simply a burner in college. When Florida switched offenses he switched over from that stretch the field deep threat role, to a possession receiver who worked out of the slot. So, he has speed, size, strength, good hands, and also a nose for the endzone (scored a TD something like once ever 9 catches in college and had 3 TD's in 2006 while only catching 13 passes). His only problem has been fighting a nagging hammy to start his rookie season, and then falling to an ACL. That ACL injury was a big setback to whatever he might have accomplished in 2007, but hopefully he'll be fully recovered remain healthy through 2008.

Last edited:
:agree: BradyManny

I do take comfort in the fact that fans were going through this with Maroney and Meriweather also (NSA's endless rants, Maroney is made of GLASS~~!!!`1~!!~1, Meriweather should be starting his 3rd pro game because he was drafted in the first round).

THankfully, they turned out to be wrong. CJ will step up when there aren't 4 great players in front of him.

Last edited:
That ACL injury was a big setback to whatever he might have accomplished in 2007, but hopefully he'll be fully recovered remain healthy through 2008.

Yup. The kid hasn't even had a full training camp under his belt and fans are judging his production. Give him one healthy summer and fall and we'll see what he can do.

I do take comfort in the fact that fans were going through this with Maroney and Meriweather also (NSA's endless rants, Maroney is made of GLASS~~!!!`1~!!~1, Meriweather should be starting his 3rd pro game because he was drafted in the first round).

True. Meriweather - like Jackson - is another reason to be excited for 08. The fact that Meriweather got his most playing time of the year in the Super Bowl tells you the coaching staff grew to have a lot of confidence in him. Hopefully CJ has a similar breakout sometime in 08.

Hopefully he'll stay healthy through the offseason and remain healthy through training camp. If NE doesn't have Stallworth they are going to need someone who can replace his athleticism and speed. I like Gaffney and think he's a good receiver, but I don't think he's the man for that particular job on a full time basis. Chad has that speed and athleticism. He can also break tackles with his strength, so maybe he could fit the bill. I guess we'll just have to wait and see though.

PS: I'm interested to see what CJ Jones does during training camp and this preseason. I think he could develop into a nice returner, and potential 4th/5th WR. Let's also not forget about Bam, who's actually a pretty tough little receiver, and could be a decent 5th option.
you can say that about alot of 1 st and 2nd round busts to, because they were good in college and high school means nothing

It wasn't just a messageboard campaign. Reiss reported that vets thought he needed to mature. Every newspaper in town reported an incident at a postseason party. Then this January Tony Massarotti quoted "anonymous sources" that he was the source of more friction. I'm not saying that any of this is credible. I'm just saying that it's more than just people posting on these boards.

For years, we heard the same stories about Bethel Johnson. Doesn't mean this time it will be true, like it was the last time.

It wasn't just a messageboard campaign. Reiss reported that vets thought he needed to mature. Every newspaper in town reported an incident at a postseason party. Then this January Tony Massarotti quoted "anonymous sources" that he was the source of more friction. I'm not saying that any of this is credible. I'm just saying that it's more than just people posting on these boards.

There's a difference between a 22 year old (just think about that for a second, how young that really is) needing to mature and being a problem in the locker room. There's also a difference in credibility between Reiss and Massarotti when it comes to football, (as in I believe what Reiss says, Tony Maz oughta stick to baseball).

My point is, so, maybe Chad Jackson acts his age, maybe he did tell a silly joke at a gala. At the end of the day, is this a big deal? Moss had a list of a couple shenanigans, Dillon had a few issues, Chad Jackson telling an inappropriate joke and maybe being upset with his playing time (which any athlete riding the pine will be!) is such a small blip on the radar screen its not funny. If he shows up and produces, all the noise goes away.

Let's just make believe that Chad Jackson is a 2nd or 3rd round 2008 pick (signed for two years)and be done with it. We have no reason to count on him as a starter, any more we would count on a corner drafted in the 2nd or 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe