• Wynn

Votes: 51 87.9%
  • Sony

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • punt

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wow thats big, eliminates one need for next year.

With Onwenu on board it eliminates tackle need for 2022 altogether..
Yup just wrote it in a different thread get him long term and OT is falling down the need list a lot. It should be easier to find a starting G though draft FA than starting RT. Herron is a good Swing T. He might even be able to play G at some point starting, I know some scouts or draft Experts projected him to be a G at the next Level.

With Onwenu on board it eliminates tackle need for 2022 altogether..

We shall see the plans with Onwenu, though that would create a need at guard then? Which is still an easier hole to fill

I don't feel strongly about this but $4.5m for Sony is not an exorbitant amount if you feel he'll be one of your main two rotational guys. I get that they have White, Taylor and Stevenson behind the top 2, but White is an aging vet who will only see passing duty ala Kevin Faulk, Taylor is undersized and we don't know what we have in Stevenson. Seems to me they are willing to let Sony fight for his next big contract--which can be a good thing for us, but if he blows up this year, he's not going to stick around after that. Which is also fine.

I consider it a fire being lit under his butt. That's what not picking up his option means.

I'd expect the Pats to pick up the 5th yr option for Wynn, not so much for Sony however.
Looks like you 'wynn', lol.

I don't feel strongly about this but $4.5m for Sony is not an exorbitant amount if you feel he'll be one of your main two rotational guys. I get that they have White, Taylor and Stevenson behind the top 2, but White is an aging vet who will only see passing duty ala Kevin Faulk, Taylor is undersized and we don't know what we have in Stevenson. Seems to me they are willing to let Sony fight for his next big contract--which can be a good thing for us, but if he blows up this year, he's not going to stick around after that. Which is also fine.

I consider it a fire being lit under his butt. That's what not picking up his option means.
It's also avoiding injury risk too. Nothing says we can't let him play out this year and if he's decent and we still have needs at RB, offer the $4.5M on a contract that is not guaranteed for injury like the 5th year option would be. If he doesn't take it, that means he just had a great year and earned a big contract, so we should be fine with waving goodbye and wishing him good luck on his next contract then finding someone else who will take $4.5M or less to play RB.

One aspect of picked up option is also it lowers the base for extension negotiation fwiw - if they open the talks this summer the base is 2y/14M that he is making over next 2 years. If they wouldn't pick the option the base would be around 2y/19M (FT).

It also adds another year of control - so Pats now have 4 more years of control over Wynn that is very economic for tackle (since all OL have same FT which makes it best economic value for tackles and esp. left tackles - almost 50% = 10M below top of the market). This also gives Pats more leverage to negotiate better long-term contract.

It also increases trade value if Wynn stays healthy (not that i would want one)..

I agree in regards to lighting a fire... hopefully he rises to the challenge. He has the skill to be pretty good, just needs to produce. I'd like to see him take some snaps from White, running routes and catching balls and pass protecting...

Quite shocked on Wynn.

We are a much better line when Wynn is playing. I thought Herron was good at RT last season as well and we know that Owenu can always slide out to Tackle as well and then Karas can play Guard. It's nice to have the flexibility on the O-line, especially with some injury history with Wynn.

can anyone explain what determines the cost of the option? Both are 1st rounders, both have missed quite a bit of time so the big difference in price is a bit curious to me - and although from my eye test wynn DOES seem much more valuable to us , i just never understood how that’s actually quantified into a $$ amount

Very glad they picked up Wynn, and don't sleep on General Sherman. I know he was a late-round pick, but I saw a former lineman (might have been in another thread) lauding the pick and claiming that the guy can flat-out play. Also seems like his attitude is that he'll do whatever - T, G, C - to get on the field. He's built very similarly to Wynn.

The Patriots left some serious talent sitting there as they went deeper and chose Sherman. If he was their guy (Day 3) all along, I wouldn't be surprised. After going "who?" twice last year and then watching Herron and particularly Onwenu, I'm not discounting the General at all. Pats know how to pick OL better than anyone.

can anyone explain what determines the cost of the option? Both are 1st rounders, both have missed quite a bit of time so the big difference in price is a bit curious to me - and although from my eye test wynn DOES seem much more valuable to us , i just never understood how that’s actually quantified into a $$ amount
It’s written into the CBA. Effectively it’s based on draft slot and the player’s position (and relative salaries of players in those positions).

Harry had better pull his head out of his ass or this will be the best case scenario for him at this time next year.
I'm not sure that Harry makes the team this year.

We have Agholor, Bourne and Meyers. Gunner will make it as a STer, and will be available on Game Day as an emergency WR if there are injuries.

We'll keep one more. And Harry has the inside track. But I could see us have 1 or 2 WR's brought in to compete with him and Zuber.

Personally, I'd prefer Byrd.

Harry will make the team this year. He's a good receiver who is going to be on his third QB in three years. Brady wanted nothing to do with helping rookies his last year here and said so. It was obnoxious. Harry made 33 catches last season in an offense with little help to draw coverage to others and a QB who couldn't throw accurately, and now he gets a rookie QB who was the most accurate passer in college football.

I think Harry will thrive this year and be a matchup problem for teams that have to account for Hunter Henry, Nelson Agholor, James White, and whoever wins the battle for the slot receiver job (who I don't think is on the roster yet.) At 6'4, 225, Harry becomes a problem for the 3rd corner in a dime package or a safety in zone coverage.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back