PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Pats will decline Stallworth's option, cut by Friday deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone of you has heard about Berrian targeted by the Pats?
I would take Berrian for Stallworth. Berrian is a speed burner but a little slight. It would be more fun with Ocho Cinco though as a dream WR situation (Yeh, I know). I really like Stallworth, but it seemed like he got singled and never made them pay. But it might not have been his fault, in truth, I saw him open on many occasions and TB did not look his way. What was up with that?
Also consider this. Year two chemistry for a QB/WR is more effective. Think Manning and Wayne and Harrison. Moss and Welker better?
DW Toys

I will miss Donte being here......Thanks to Donte for everything he gave us this year.....wish he could have gotten involved in the offense more......just never happened enough....I see Gaffney staying around.....Maybe K Washington will get a 2nd chance? But it will of course be Moss, Welker, Gaffney, and a wild card in Jackson......The biggest thing the Pats need to figure out WR wise....is HOW TO GET THE BALL to the other WR's when Moss is taken out of the game by the opposing defense.....the thing that scares me in a sense....is that Moss was all but gone much of the last few games and the playoffs.....Will this result in an attitude change with him over time? Will he start taking "more plays off" and not executing them all the way through? I see us franchising him and seeing what he DOES and how he ACTS for one more year before laying out the dough.....not sure what he will think of all this.......If he gets franchised ....he may get a bit disgruntled.......Anyways...best of luck to Stallworth..and hope we are making the right decision
We need a consistent TE. Mr."No SB catches" Watson killed us. Imagine the prior year when TB was supposed to use Watson as his main target. I think you get an upgrade with Crumpler. You can then cut K. Brady.
DW Toys

I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Brady convinces Stallworth to take less money to stay. You know, they do have unfinished business.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Brady convinces Stallworth to take less money to stay. You know, they do have unfinished business.

Man , I would love that. I really liked Donte's attitude and feel like with another year in this system, he could blossom.

He definitely would, as long as he knows he won't be getting the type of money offered in Chi. I saw a good deal of him bc I live in the Chicago area, and its hard to really assess him (attribute this to Grossman being the qb) but Muhammed has a great work ethic. He was Chicago's #1 and tho his numbers have been dropping slightly (once again keep in mind of his qb) he would be a fantastic #3 or even #2 receiver. I think he'd fit very well in our wide receiving core and he has the right attitude. Still a solid threat. He could be used as a deep threat or a short one. I think this would work well with Moss/Welker combination.

Muhsin Muhammed is a pretty bad football player, and I would not want to see him in a Patriots uniform. He is more than likely preparing himself for a career in a TV studio. His days of contributing to an offense are well behind him. He has hands like feet.

My basis for believing that Chad Jackson will impact this team isn't based on anything tangible. However, the kid has got a few years watching and learning and that can only be beneficial to his growth as a football player. Not only that he has had the privilege of working with some tremendously talented players that he can model himself after. And lastly, his physical tools are top notch and I think that this will bear fruit this season.

Muhsin Muhammed is a pretty bad football player, and I would not want to see him in a Patriots uniform. He is more than likely preparing himself for a career in a TV studio. His days of contributing to an offense are well behind him. He has hands like feet.

He did drop some passes, but I guess I'm prone to hold back on judgment when it comes to him bc of the qb play the bears have. I mean its been horrendous btw Orton and Grossman. With a qb like Brady, i think he'd show his skills. He's a hard worker too which always seems to go well on this team...I did not watch every game the Bears played this season so my opinion is definitely not the most thorough but those are my observations based on what i've seen in the few Bears games I watched this past season.

Why would Stallworth be convinced by Brady to take less to stay? He was underutilized during the Tommy-to-Randy lovefest, even in the POs when Moss revealed himself to be nothing more than a fair-weather WR. It was a disgrace that there were no quick-hitting slant patterns called for Stallworth during the SB.

My best-case scenario would be:
Moss is franchised, because the FO already knows that some sucker would give it the draft picks for him;
Stallworth and Gaffney and Washington are then re-signed;
Chad Jackson impresses during mini-camp;
another FA (or 2) WR is signed for depth;
and at least a couple of UDFAs are signed during what I hope will be a very busy, active and aggressive post-draft signing period (for once).

I generally agree with this statement, although I don't buy it regarding the 3rd/20. If he were too worn out at that particular point in time, then Brady's pass would have been overthrown. Exhaustion was not as much the issue as something else more disconcerting to me going forward.

Did you listen to Moss' PC after the game?? He said he feels should've jumped for that ball and that was a mistake on his part, it was a judgement call for him and he made the wrong judgement. It wasnt brought up by the media, he brought it up and said how he regretted not jumping. Not to mention running full speed and jumping afterward is not the easiest thing to do and not doing it could most definetely be due tiring out.

What upsets me is that anyone else and its just labeled a bad decision not to jump but with Moss why does it have to be about "effort"?? I understand the media bringing up that old tired argument about Moss, but Pats fans?? I mean just think for a second what you're implying. By questioning his effort on that play, you're saying that he dogged it on the final drive of the SB, THE game that he came to NE to win, THE game that he never played in previously in his career, on a pass that could've made him an immediate SB legend. You basically dont feel he's shown you enough this year to be given the benefit of the doubt regarding the effort he would give on the most important drive in Patriots history, not to mention his own career. I mean, with the year he had, the humbleness he displayed, the strong worth ethic in the game and in practive, and the complete backing of his teammates in that regard...a Pats fan shouldnt even question his effort in a regular season game, let alon the damm Superbowl.. Jeez...with fans like you guys who needs critics, you're doing all their hackwork for them.

Last edited:
By Arrington, do you mean Adrian Arrington, formerly of the Wolverines?

The same one what has "[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Some off-field issues (domestic assault charge, another undisclosed incident) led to suspension for the 2005 Alamo Bowl and 2007 spring practice."

Why would the Pats waste a 3rd on him when he can probably be had in the 5th or 6th or 7th rounds?

[/SIZE][/FONT]

I do indeed and yes, he had off-field issues as you noted, but what you've omitted was the part about him working so hard by running stadium stairs that the coaches allowed him back on the team. Kids in college do make mistakes. Kids also choose to learn from them or learn nothing and turn out to be punks. Which one fits the bill on Arrington?

By the way, did you watch his bowl performance?

I actually think we should look to bring him back for a better rate because nobody will give him 6 a year. He's a solid blocker, and he's got a vertical threat that can be taken advantage of in the event Moss gets hurt not to mention to obvious screen game he and welker had going. Nothing more than 3.5 per year, but the guy is solid and relatively young. I would say he's less dispensable than Gaffney despite the occasional moron leak where he sticks his hand out at the ball and hits it up in the air for a defender to grab.

I would say he's less dispensable than Gaffney despite the occasional moron leak where he sticks his hand out at the ball and hits it up in the air for a defender to grab.

No doubt, how many of those did we see this year?

Did you listen to Moss' PC after the game?? He said he feels should've jumped for that ball and that was a mistake on his part, it was a judgement call for him and he made the wrong judgement. It wasnt brought up by the media, he brought it up and said how he regretted not jumping. Not to mention running full speed and jumping afterward is not the easiest thing to do and not doing it could most definetely be due tiring out.

What upsets me is that anyone else and its just labeled a bad decision not to jump but with Moss why does it have to be about "effort"?? I understand the media bringing up that old tired argument about Moss, but Pats fans?? I mean just think for a second what you're implying. By questioning his effort on that play, you're saying that he dogged it on the final drive of the SB, THE game that he came to NE to win, THE game that he never played in previously in his career, on a pass that could've made him an immediate SB legend. You basically dont feel he's shown you enough this year to be given the benefit of the doubt regarding the effort he would give on the most important drive in Patriots history, not to mention his own career. I mean, with the year he had, the humbleness he displayed, the strong worth ethic in the game and in practive, and the complete backing of his teammates in that regard...a Pats fan shouldnt even question his effort in a regular season game, let alon the damm Superbowl.. Jeez...with fans like you guys who needs critics, you're doing all their hackwork for them.

I wished I'd have heard those comments from Moss. It still sucks that it happened, but nice to see he acknowledged it as a mistake.
I guess, imo, as great as Moss is, he does have some shortcomings, but those can be overlooked because his strengths are usually leaps & bounds beyond what other receivers can do. (no pun intended)
It was just disappointing to not see him use one of his greatest assets when needed most.
Just as it was disappointing to see Mr INT get stone hands on a potential game ender.
Just as it was disappointing to see Mr. Hardhitter Harrison have the catch of the year made on him on a desperate heave.
We could obviously go on.

Fair points. What I'm trying to do, I suppose, is justify my doubt that Moss is worth the franchise hit for his position. But if someone (Little Danny Snyder?) wants to give us 2 #1s for him, I'll make that deal. Besides, just as parents are of their children, nobody should be more critical of a team than its fans.

No doubt, how many of those did we see this year?

Too many. Nobody is claiming that Stallworth is the brightest bulb on the WR tree, unfortunately. If he does indeed sign elsewhere, I'd like to see the FO go after the more technically proficient, but injury-prone, DJ Hackett.

Fair points. What I'm trying to do, I suppose, is justify my doubt that Moss is worth the franchise hit for his position. But if someone (Little Danny Snyder?) wants to give us 2 #1s for him, I'll make that deal. Besides, just as parents are of their children, nobody should be more critical of a team than its fans.

I think the world would shake if the Pats traded Moss. Plus, it would have to be a sign and trade. None of which I see happening.
Moss has publicly said he wants to remain a Pat, and that he wouldn't 'break kraft's bank'.
He did say however, that for other teams he would 'break the bank.'

No chance in hell a team as shaky at QB as the Skins gets Moss without paying top dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Back