PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Pats will decline Stallworth's option, cut by Friday deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just make believe that Chad Jackson is a 2nd or 3rd round 2008 pick (signed for two years)and be done with it. We have no reason to count on him as a starter, any more we would count on a corner drafted in the 2nd or 3rd.

I say that, just for the hell of it, we should let Belioli make that decision.

True. Meriweather - like Jackson - is another reason to be excited for 08. The fact that Meriweather got his most playing time of the year in the Super Bowl tells you the coaching staff grew to have a lot of confidence in him. Hopefully CJ has a similar breakout sometime in 08.

And to add to that, after watching Merriweather's playing time increased in the superbowl, I think this could be an indicator that he has a very good chance to start at free safety next season. That will move Sanders over to strong safety and Rodney would back him up. As for Chad Jackson, who knows with this guy. If the Pats don't work out something with Stallworth before the deadline and Gaffney chooses to sign elsewhere, then Jackson has his work cut out for him. If he wants playing time so bad, here it is. It's his to lose. I really liked Chad Jackson when he came out of the draft, he looked like he has a lot of talent. However, that injury he suffered in Indy a year ago worries me. He looked really stiff on kickoff returns this year and didn't show very good cutting ability. However, after another offseason of training and working out with Tom Brady, Chad Jackson can be a star in the NFL.

Last edited:
If Stallworth leaves to be a #1 or #1b elsewhere, and we lose Gaffney, CJ better be dang good.

Moss was taken out of some games with double teams and physical play, unfortunately, and that means the Pats still need strong route running wideouts to complement him.

I was disappointed in Moss's lack of trying to outjump the defenders on a couple of the plays at the end of the SB. That has always been a trademark of Moss, and instead he tried to pull off a catch like he made in the Miami game.

I was disappointed in Moss's lack of trying to outjump the defenders on a couple of the plays at the end of the SB. That has always been a trademark of Moss, and instead he tried to pull off a catch like he made in the Miami game.

Especially on 3rd/20. Brady threw an absolutely perfect pass, but Moss made no attempt to adjust to the 2 DBs covering him. That ball should have been caught.

Especially on 3rd/20. Brady threw an absolutely perfect pass, but Moss made no attempt to adjust to the 2 DBs covering him. That ball should have been caught.

At the very least, it gives them a better chance to draw the DPI flag.
I don't expect him to catch every ball thrown into double coverage, but what Moss lacks in over the middle, route running type stuff, is usually offset by his ability to outjump db's and his great hands.

I just felt that timing his jump would have likely drawn contact by one of the db's since thy were running all out, and likely would not have been able to avoid some contact.

The Pats wore Moss out by having him on the field for every snap in every game. Check Reiss' offensive participation stats. Hopefully the team learns from this foolishness.

What decision are you referring to?

Whether or not Jackson will be a starter. I used your quote, but the reply was general, and not directed towards you. My apologies, I should have made that clear. I messed up my edit and didn't catch the error.:(

If Stallworth leaves to be a #1 or #1b elsewhere, and we lose Gaffney, CJ better be dang good.

Moss was taken out of some games with double teams and physical play, unfortunately, and that means the Pats still need strong route running wideouts to complement him.

I will miss Donte being here......Thanks to Donte for everything he gave us this year.....wish he could have gotten involved in the offense more......just never happened enough....I see Gaffney staying around.....Maybe K Washington will get a 2nd chance? But it will of course be Moss, Welker, Gaffney, and a wild card in Jackson......The biggest thing the Pats need to figure out WR wise....is HOW TO GET THE BALL to the other WR's when Moss is taken out of the game by the opposing defense.....the thing that scares me in a sense....is that Moss was all but gone much of the last few games and the playoffs.....Will this result in an attitude change with him over time? Will he start taking "more plays off" and not executing them all the way through? I see us franchising him and seeing what he DOES and how he ACTS for one more year before laying out the dough.....not sure what he will think of all this.......If he gets franchised ....he may get a bit disgruntled.......Anyways...best of luck to Stallworth..and hope we are making the right decision

Bye Donte ... no complaints on his efforts. We really don't employ an offense thatutilizes YAC which sucks for him.

First prediction on where Donte lands.......Miami.......lock it.....Parcells will grab him up....

No complains about his time here, he did a good job. Miami or Minnesota could be where he lands.

No. You're right. Donte' Stallworth lit it up to the point that he deserves to get paid that heavily weighted amount of money vs. the cap. and you know, Jackson, who we spent a second round pick on, doesn't even need to bother showing up anymore.

I never said this .But even if jackson had 700 yrds abd 8 TD i will very confident but i do not think its wise to go into the season with this in mind.

from last preason i though C.J.Jones will be choice as he is fast ,small and is a returner .this meads him and wes can split returns and he is very fast too.
if i remember kelvin kight had more catches then jackson.

I believe that Chad Jackson will be our #3 wide-out next year.......

I hope you are right,.....but WHAT are you basing this prediction ON? I had high hopes after watching this kid alot at Florida......but so far he has been a terrible disappointment....this is his 3rd season now right? Time will tell.....this is the do or die year I would imagine.....

Any chance the Colts have the room to get Stallworth, especially if Marvin is done?
That would suck.

Donte played very well early in the season, I just can't understand why he wasn't more of a weapon late in the year when teams started shutting Moss down.
I really thought he was going to be a difference maker on mid range, over the middle catches just underneath the deep routes and just over Welker/Faulk territory.

The Pats wore Moss out by having him on the field for every snap in every game. Check Reiss' offensive participation stats. Hopefully the team learns from this foolishness.

I generally agree with this statement, although I don't buy it regarding the 3rd/20. If he were too worn out at that particular point in time, then Brady's pass would have been overthrown. Exhaustion was not as much the issue as something else more disconcerting to me going forward.

I'd be happy with Moss, Welker, Gaffney; with Chad Jackson and a cheap FA being given the opportunity to bump Gaffney down to #4

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3252098

Muhsin Muhammad is available....don't know much about him...would he be any type of fit at all?

He definitely would, as long as he knows he won't be getting the type of money offered in Chi. I saw a good deal of him bc I live in the Chicago area, and its hard to really assess him (attribute this to Grossman being the qb) but Muhammed has a great work ethic. He was Chicago's #1 and tho his numbers have been dropping slightly (once again keep in mind of his qb) he would be a fantastic #3 or even #2 receiver. I think he'd fit very well in our wide receiving core and he has the right attitude. Still a solid threat. He could be used as a deep threat or a short one. I think this would work well with Moss/Welker combination.

Last edited:
I hope you are right,.....but WHAT are you basing this prediction ON? I had high hopes after watching this kid alot at Florida......but so far he has been a terrible disappointment....this is his 3rd season now right? Time will tell.....this is the do or die year I would imagine.....

It's kind of hard to prove your receiving ability while fighting through an ACL injury...

The point here is that if he can stay healthy in 2008 I still believe he has the receiving ability to be effective at the NFL level. He's flashed that ability a little bit when healthy, but he simply hasn't been healthy enough to really prove anything. Anyways, we'll see what happens this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes