PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFT: Pats will decline Stallworth's option, cut by Friday deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad we agree but I do hope I am wrong and that pride and thinking ahead as BB always does personnel wise didn't contribute to cost us the big game.

We all knew it was coming, but I was hoping to see him back.

Add the re-signing of Washington and you have my vote. :)

Here's to hoping we're able to retain both Moss and Gaffney. A top four of Moss/Welker/Gaffney/Jackson is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited:
We all knew it was coming, but I was hoping to see him back.

I've not read anything that definitively states they won't look to bring him back at a lower number. Has anyone seen such a report?

He will not be back he was brought in took a cap friendly deal to be the number 1 receiver then lost that when we attained Moss.
He seemed cool then played the back seat to Welker who became a catching machine in our offense.
Ok cool he's thinking the 3 musketeers then he loses reps to Jabar Gaffney then goes 18 and o on top of all that and lose the final game where he is hardly involved.
Oh yeah then we wanna cut him and offer him a much smaller contract i'm sure he is real psyched! :rolleyes:

I agree with the other poster who said he can't help but feel bad for Donte.
His inferno will burn somewhere else preferably in the National Football Conference since they earn their actual name instead of the other acronyms we had for that conference they got their manhood back.
I look to see him with the niners or the jaguars that's my 2 destinations for him.
Do not want to see him in aqua and orange or puke chit green.

Yes it was. Miguel has him counting against the cap on his cap page. Miguel shows a cap savings of a little more than $5million if/when he's cut.

So we will be approx. 13-14 mill. under the cap then.

He'll be a free agent on the 29th. The patriots can bid for his services, just like everyone else.

I've not read anything that definitively states they won't look to bring him back at a lower number. Has anyone seen such a report?

So we will be approx. 13-14 mill. under the cap then.

I thought they were about $10M-10.4M under after releasing Washington? So, they'd be something like $15.5M under the cap after releasing Donte. And, they could gain a good deal of cap space by extending Colvin, and reworking some other contracts as well.

Last edited:

I think this is what they will try to do.

After the season he enjoyed with the Patriots, and having been around the league for a while, he undoubtedly knows what butters his bread, and realizes he won't have an environment like this to work in any where else in the league.

In a word, he probably realizes there are some things money just can't buy...

I think this is what they will try to do.

After the season he enjoyed with the Patriots, and having been around the league for a while, he undoubtedly knows what butters his bread, and realizes he won't have an environment like this to work in any where else in the league.

In a word, he probably realizes there are some things money just can't buy...

I don't know about that. He was one who didn't enjoy the "Humble Pie" aspect to the Patriots.

I don't know about that. He was one who didn't enjoy the "Humble Pie" aspect to the Patriots.

Bringing him back ******s Jackson ... no way he comes back.

I believe that Chad Jackson will be our #3 wide-out next year.......
chad jackson has done nothing in 2 years, he is a 4 or a 5 reciever, why all the love??? because a 2nd round choice there are 1 and 2nd round busts all over the league

I'll be sad to see him go. I really like his game and spirit out there. I rocked the # 18 at the SB, which was the first time I've ever worn a jersey to a game..

Maybe it was bad luck!

But still, I wish Donte only the best.

I liked Donte too, every catch seemed like a possibility for a TD with his open field ability. His long catch and run against Dallas was one of my favorite plays of the year, as was his sideline 'force out' catch during the Indy comeback.

Either CJ or Gaffney will have to step up a bit to make themselves a legitimate threat opposite Moss this coming season.

Recalling how well Givens, Branch, and Patten did when they signed elsewhere, I suspect that some team will give a lot more $ to Stallworth than the Pats would be willing to offer. He'll definitely end up a #1 for some contender this year, I think.

All in all I think he did OK for himself in NE -got himself to a SuperBowl, had a few highlight reel plays, etc. He signed on hoping to get his big payday in '08, and that seems likely to happen, just not with the Pats.

I still hope there is a glimmer of hope, that Donte resigns.. I know Gaffney passed him up on the depth chart, and I like Gaffney.. But Gaffney was invisiable in the super bowl, I would like to see Donte come back, but I doubt it..

'Tis Chad Jackson's time to step up.:)

I agree, Chad Jackson time. I believe Chad Jackson will be a huge upgrade over Stallworth if he pans out. I know, big if.

I liked Stallworth, but he had pretty paltry 2nd half #s:
17 catches, 278 yards, 1 TD

If we can get Gaffney back, great. If not, I'd like them to look at bringing Caldwell back in as insurance to Jackson. Jackson has basically red-shirted for two years, he spent last offseason "in the classroom" with McD, he has been learning from Moss - all that needs to happen is that he stays healthy, and he should be a real good wideout.

I agree, Chad Jackson time. I believe Chad Jackson will be a huge upgrade over Stallworth if he pans out. I know, big if.

I liked Stallworth, but he had pretty paltry 2nd half #s:
17 catches, 278 yards, 1 TD

If we can get Gaffney back, great. If not, I'd like them to look at bringing Caldwell back in as insurance to Jackson. Jackson has basically red-shirted for two years, he spent last offseason "in the classroom" with McD, he has been learning from Moss - all that needs to happen is that he stays healthy, and he should be a real good wideout.

Reche Caldwell, been there done that, not interested...

Not a surprise at all.

Like Washington, Stallworth is a guy the Pats would probably love to bring back for the right number but also like Washington I would guess it is unlikely and only happens if he can't find a place that will involve him more in the offesne.

I expect we will franchise Moss since we can't resign him until free agency begins. Gaffney is a guy they probably want back but he is probably looking at his one chance to make starter money on the open market and that may complicate things.

Another offseason of decisions and changes at WR continues.

Another offseason of decisions and changes at WR continues.

It's all about Moss. If we have Moss, and we have Welker, I'm pretty OK with whoever we line up at #3 to be honest with you. I actually think Stallworth was severely under performing for the spot and not living up to expectations. Ultimately, he just wasn't the right fit for the job. If Chad Jackson becomes the guy they thought he'd be when they drafted him, then he would be the perfect man for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back