PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King's mid-season All-Pro team....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Peter King's mid-season All-Pro team.....

Not sure I've heard Jaws or Diler say that. Both have high praise for Brady as well.

I'm not trying to sit here and say Peyton Manning isn't one of the all-time great QBs. It'd be foolish to argue otherwise. However, his playoff record prohibits him from being considered the greatest of all time, and I believe that rather firmly.

And as for the simple popularity & perception of the two - again, I say that the perception of both Brady & Peyton has to be taken with a grain of salt, for the aforementioned lack of taste the general populace has. The media has created personas for these guys which influence how people view them.

I'm pretty sure there are intelligent enough football fans out there who can differentiate between public opinion and quarterbacking skills. My guess is Jaws and Dilfer would be a good start.

No, it was a survey of NFL head coaches. 29 out of 32 responded.

You mean like the last couple players to go to the probowl. The public only votes for the starters. Coaches and players select the others. And they've selected guys who were out of football the next year.

Don't forget, last year, what, 12 coaches got fired? Half these guys don't know what they're doing.

I think I have a legitimate argument.

But of course if we're going by Super Bowls wins, my vote goes to Terry Bradshaw. :singing:

Mine goes to Joe Montana, your Football IQ is starting to show.

I'm pretty sure there are intelligent enough football fans out there who can differentiate between public opinion and quarterbacking skills. My guess is Jaws and Dilfer would be a good start.

How about three quarters of the head coaches in the NFL? Is that a reasonable starting point? Because if that's the case, then it's pretty clearly Brady.

You mean like the last couple players to go to the probowl. The public only votes for the starters. Coaches and players select the others. And they've selected guys who were out of football the next year.

Don't forget, last year, what, 12 coaches got fired? Half these guys don't know what they're doing.

Right- coaches and players. Players didn't vote in this poll.

And the 12 coaches that got fired last year still know exponentially more about football than you (or I) ever will.

Right- coaches and players. Players didn't vote in this poll.

And the 12 coaches that got fired last year still know exponentially more about football than you (or I) ever will.
Yeah, probably, that doesn't mean they know who the best players actually are.

How many coachs are actually good GMs? Bellichick and Andy Reid maybe?

I'd be a lot more convinced that this poll was anything other than crap if it was the GMs polled and not the coaches.

How about three quarters of the head coaches in the NFL? Is that a reasonable starting point? Because if that's the case, then it's pretty clearly Brady.

Coming off a 50TD season, who wouldn't? That was when that poll was taken, wasn't it? ;)

Yeah, probably, that doesn't mean they know who the best players actually are.

How many coachs are actually good GMs? Bellichick and Andy Reid maybe?

I'd be a lot more convinced that this poll was anything other than crap if it was the GMs polled and not the coaches.

So you're saying that NFL head coaches aren't sufficiently qualified to evaluate player talent? Just want to be sure that I'm not misreading what you're saying here...

Coming off a 50TD season, who wouldn't? That was when that poll was taken, wasn't it? ;)

Yes, and after Peyton's 49 TD season as well.

Ok, so your argument is that Manning's better now, but wasn't in 2008 (due to Brady's injury), then you have a valid point. I don't think that that's what you're arguing though...

So you're saying that NFL head coaches aren't sufficiently qualified to evaluate player talent? Just want to be sure that I'm not misreading what you're saying here...

I am saying that not ALL NFL COACHES are sufficiently qualified to evaluate player talent, especially talent that they do not play against or with.

You have to remember, even in this day and age, there are still coaches out there who espouse "If we run the ball 20 times, we'll win", and then go out and run the ball 20 times in the first half and lose by 40 points.

The fact that someone is in a position of authority does not mean that they are infallible, and the track record of most coaches points otherwise.

Professional level sports are an industry where there still is a lot of old school thinking going on. There are MLB teams that don't believe OBP is a useful statistic. There are football teams that believe if you run the ball enough times, you win (instead of the opposite, which is that winning teams end up with lots of rushing attempts at the end of the game)

Last edited:

I am saying that not ALL NFL COACHES are sufficiently qualified to evaluate player talent, especially talent that they do not play against or with.

You have to remember, even in this day and age, there are still coaches out there who espouse "If we run the ball 20 times, we'll win", and then go out and run the ball 20 times in the first half and lose by 40 points.

The fact that someone is in a position of authority does not mean that they are infallible, and the track record of most coaches points otherwise.

Of course they're not infallible; nobody is. But to argue that coaches aren't qualified to talk about who the best players in the league are is ridiculous. Maybe there are a couple of idiot coaches out there--although even the idiots would be the most knowledgeable here--but 75% of coaches is a pretty clear consensus. Unless you think that 75% of coaches don't know wtf they're talking about.

Of course they're not infallible; nobody is. But to argue that coaches aren't qualified to talk about who the best players in the league are is ridiculous. Maybe there are a couple of idiot coaches out there--although even the idiots would be the most knowledgeable here--but 75% of coaches is a pretty clear consensus. Unless you think that 75% of coaches don't know wtf they're talking about.

Well, they did choose Brady, so what the hell can they possibly know? ;)

Yes, and after Peyton's 49 TD season as well.

And coming off 2004, Peyton was the undisputed #1 QB in the leage. Now that the novelty of Brady's record breaking season has worn off, do you think these coaches feel the same way?

And coming off 2004, Peyton was the undisputed #1 QB in the leage. Now that the novelty of Brady's record breaking season has worn off, do you think these coaches feel the same way?

He's coming off a major knee surgery & missing offensive weapons, yet he has some of the best #s in the game. Not to mention extremely similar to Manning's #s thus far. So, yes, I think they probably would feel the same way.

Ok, lets see.
Detroit
Oakland
KC (at the time survey was done)
Cleveland
Tampa
Chicago

have all proven that they don't know wtf they're talking about with regards to offensive skill players. Agreed?

Of the remaining teams, in the NFC, probably 50+% of the teams coaches have not played against both Brady and Manning.

In the AFC, there are what, 5 or so brand new coaches?

missing offensive weapons

Considering you're talking to a fan of a team who has a 4th rd rookie white mormon and 6th rd. DIII all star as their #2 & #3 WR's, I really don't want to hear your excuses.

Considering you're talking to a fan of a team who has a 4th rd rookie white mormon and 6th rd. DIII all star as their #2 & #3 WR's, I really don't want to hear your excuses.

Why not? You're the one who's been making excuses the whole time

"It's the run defense", etc....

Please.

Why not? You're the one who's been making excuses the whole time

"It's the run defense", etc....

Please.

I merely provided evidence of why the Colts haven't had much postseason success. You're the one who wants to point the finger at a QB who has been as efficient in the postseason as your 3x Super Bowl winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes