PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King (SI) is driving me insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
well king's correct at least in the fact that new england isn't different from all the other teams anymore

they've seemed to have a free agency spree (yet cost effective) knee jerk reaction to finally losing to the colts in a playoff game.

"Knee jerk?" Uh, no. A knee-jerk reaction is characterized as a thoughtless countermove, e.g. a kid brings a knife to school, and the school reacts by implementing a "zero tolerance" policy against blades of any kind, resulting in another kid being suspended for bringing in fingernail clippers.*

The Pats had both needs and the means and motivation to fill those needs, and they did so in an intelligent, calculated manner.

Yes, I may be nitpicking here, but I was an English major. :D

*Actually happens!

Last edited:
The myth of the high character guy is over exagerated. Piolichick brings in guys where football is so important to them that they will do what it takes to be successful on the field. If football is the 'it' important thing to you then generally you don't have the baggage that follows a couple of the NFL'ers. Now on the other hand, if you have had some baggage and are at a point in your career where you have all the money that you could ever want but are missing the bobble on your finger than again you will be the good team soldier and tow the line like Dillon, Law, and now Moss, Stallworth and Meriweather. With the good ship Brady, Bruschi, Harrison, Vrabel, and Seau 'patrolling' the team the guys that want the ring but don't have one will be model citizens and the few in the media that are hoping for the Patriots to implode will have to move back to the Bengals et al.

The character doesn't shape the football player, the football player shapes the character.

Nothing has changed, the "high character" thing is about what happens when you're with the Patriots. Not being arrested . . . working hard . . . doing what you can for your team . . . there's no evidence of problems in those areas since Glenn was kicked off the team and there's no reason to think Moss or Stallworth will cause problems there either.

This is key here. The Patriots are like every other team in that they will take a risk on a troubled but talented player if the situation is right. What sets them apart is that for the most part the previously troubled players stop being so when they become Patriots. Bryan Cox, Corey Dillon, and Rodney Harrison all had less than flattering reputations before they came here, but all were ideal soldiers once they arrived. We'll see if the latest players follow in the same foot steps.

Wasn't King just quoting Danny S?

"In this weeks article he writes the following:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...18/mmqb/2.html

"Say good-bye to that high moral ground, Bob. The Patriots ... put their standards on the shelf in the quest for victory. They might be the best team in football, but the Patriots are no longer 'different' from all the other NFL organizations.''
-- Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy, to Patriots owner Bob Kraft, in the wake of the Patriots trading for serial loafer Randy Moss and drafting safety Brandon Meriweather in the first round. Meriweather fired gunshots at an assailant last year, and also stomped on a Florida International player during the infamous Miami-FIU brawl."

well king's correct at least in the fact that new england isn't different from all the other teams anymore

they've seemed to have a free agency spree (yet cost effective) knee jerk reaction to finally losing to the colts in a playoff game.
NE is no different in that like everyone eles, they acquire the players they think will help, and balance risk vs reward. The difference is that they do a better job of it. We have had players with baggage before. Your own Rodney Harrison is the most fined player in NFL history, Dillon went on National TV wearing a Raiders jersey while still a Bengal and had more issues than you could flip a burger at.

The Pats still want quality players with character; they just don't use the media's definition of character. They will give a player a second chance often if they feel the potential is there and risk is minimized.

You need to get a dictionary and look up knee jerk reaction. I'm not convinced that the loss is the sole reason for the very active off-season, but it was not knee jerk. It was a reasoned response based on team needs.

But I understand your desparate need to minimize the Pats in any way possible. I have never seen a fanbase so twisted as yours, so desparate to be validated. Forget the Pats. You better hope your team is more mature than you guys or the CHargers will be the Discharged-ers.

After reading Peter King and watching him on TV over the years, I have three takes on the guy:

1) On balance, he's been fair to the Patriots.

2) He's in a business that requires him to stir up controversy if he's going to keep his byline and his coveted seat on ESPN. So, he often says things that are edgy or open to interpretation (Vick?). In general, he's as reasonable as anyone in how he does this.

3) Like all high profile media pundits, he's stuck on himself. Otherwise why would he think that any of us give a hoot about his Annoying Travel Note of the week or where he got his latest Latte? Almost as bad as Dr. Z and his opinions on Wine. I go to Wine Spectator for that, Doc.

Both your statements are UNTRUE. And any Pats fan can tell you so from a strictly factual basis.

First off, the Pats have always had a moral high ground thanks to Myra Kraft. But that hasn't stopped them from getting players like Bryan Cox, Corey Dillon and Rodney Harrison. And it hasn't stopped them from keeping Ty Law. There are many examples of players with a checkered past coming to the Patriots. Previously, though, the MEDIA blinded themselves to it.

The Patriots have always signed free agents in the off-season. There was no KNEE JERK reaction to losing to the Colts. In 2001, the Pats signed 21 veteran free agents including Bryan Cox, Charles Johnson, Torrance Small, David Patten and Joe Andruzzi. In 2002, it was 17. The Pats also signed Rodney Harrison and Roosevelt Colvin, amongst others, in 2003.

As for King and his hotel gripe, I agree with him. You already pay to stay in the hotel, and in the past the gyms have been free. I was charged for an extra towel at a hotel I stayed in last summer.

With NFLN, you don't pay the NFL until you actually receive the network, so you can't compare the two.

You actually CAN compare the two for the same reason that you mention regarding the hotel gyms.

On Comcast, in the past, the NFL Network was included in their basic package, so you were paying for it. NOW, Comcast is putting it into their Sportspackage and you will have to pay EXTRA for it. Just like King was crying about having to pay EXTRA to use the gym.

yeah, i wasn't addressing the character issue aspect, just the free agency uncharacteristic spree

There is no "uncharacteristic spree." Its a media creation. The Pats have always signed free agents and have usually led the league in signing them. The only "difference" is that there is some name recognition to the free agents that they have signed.

Both your statements are UNTRUE. And any Pats fan can tell you so from a strictly factual basis.

First off, the Pats have always had a moral high ground thanks to Myra Kraft. But that hasn't stopped them from getting players like Bryan Cox, Corey Dillon and Rodney Harrison. And it hasn't stopped them from keeping Ty Law. There are many examples of players with a checkered past coming to the Patriots. Previously, though, the MEDIA blinded themselves to it.

The Patriots have always signed free agents in the off-season. There was no KNEE JERK reaction to losing to the Colts. In 2001, the Pats signed 21 veteran free agents including Bryan Cox, Charles Johnson, Torrance Small, David Patten and Joe Andruzzi. In 2002, it was 17. The Pats also signed Rodney Harrison and Roosevelt Colvin, amongst others, in 2003.

The Myra Kraft thing is even overblown. she objected to having a guy on the team that dragged a woman down a flight of dorm stairs by the HAIR!!! You know what? I object to that too. Parcells knew about it and drafted him anyway. There's no room in my organization for a guy like that, if I'm the employer.

Smoke a little weed, get into a bar altercation, make up for youthful indiscretions (i.e. gang involvement). There's a spot for you, but you have to turn things around. The Peter incident was one of the worst i'd heard of.

You actually CAN compare the two for the same reason that you mention regarding the hotel gyms.

On Comcast, in the past, the NFL Network was included in their basic package, so you were paying for it. NOW, Comcast is putting it into their Sportspackage and you will have to pay EXTRA for it. Just like King was crying about having to pay EXTRA to use the gym.

You were paying Comcast for cable service. Not the NFL directly. It's not the same thing. It's like saying you were paying the hotel to stay there, therefore the coffee in the lobby should be free, because you paid the hotel. But you still have to pay the coffee vendor, don't ya?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News