PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King on Cassel's trade value

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, Cassel isn't just some guy who had some good games. He's the ideal athlete for the position: 6'4" 230, strong arm, terrific all-around athleticism. And if he had been a rookie, he would have given Ryan some real competition for ROY -- they put up the same numbers, but Cassel did it with steady improvement while Ryan was up and down all year.

Or how about this comparison: imagine for a moment that Cassel's one and only year as a starter -- with a fabulous supporting cast -- was in college. So he's entering the draft on the strength of that one season and his innate physical talents. In other words, he's Mark Sanchez. Sanchez is being projected as a top-10 pick in every ranking I've seen.

For the teams picking 18, 19, 20 & 22 this year, what rookie could be reasonably expected to be more valuable than Cassel?

I agree. NE fans agree but im not sure other teams will see it that way - there are enough negatives/unknowns on the sheet to not be deserving of a 1st IMHO

On the other hand if we gave up Cassel and a 3rd for Peppers id be stoked

Why is the Eli Manning trade not mentioned more often here? For rights to sign an unproven rookie QB--someone who said he wouldn't sign with the team that picked him, thus theoretically reducing their leverage--the Giants gave up the #4 pick, a 3rd rounder, and a 1st and 5th the following year.

I'm with most everyone else who say late 1st round is the ideal spot, but I also think that a proven QB who was brought along in the best system in football and sat alongside the best QB in the game and has subsequently shown himself to be very, very good is worth a whole lot more than a late first and a 2nd or 3rd. I think something like Detroits #20, their #33, a 3rd rounder in 2010 and a conditional pick is where it's at (Detroit's 1st or 2nd next year if they, say, break the .500 barrier). Call me crazy--and I'm sure most of you will--but a legitimate starting QB in this league is the most important ingredient and also the hardest position to fill...hell, as long as the Lions have been searching for one I'd imagine they'd give up their entire draft for someone like Cassel.

Why is the Eli Manning trade not mentioned more often here? For rights to sign an unproven rookie QB--someone who said he wouldn't sign with the team that picked him, thus theoretically reducing their leverage--the Giants gave up the #4 pick, a 3rd rounder, and a 1st and 5th the following year.

I'm with most everyone else who say late 1st round is the ideal spot, but I also think that a proven QB who was brought along in the best system in football and sat alongside the best QB in the game and has subsequently shown himself to be very, very good is worth a whole lot more than a late first and a 2nd or 3rd. I think something like Detroits #20, their #33, a 3rd rounder in 2010 and a conditional pick is where it's at (Detroit's 1st or 2nd next year if they, say, break the .500 barrier). Call me crazy--and I'm sure most of you will--but a legitimate starting QB in this league is the most important ingredient and also the hardest position to fill...hell, as long as the Lions have been searching for one I'd imagine they'd give up their entire draft for someone like Cassel.

I totally agree. Nothing in football is more valuable than a young, proven, media-savvy starting quarterback. If Matt Schaub is worth two #2s, Cassel has to be worth two #1s, I would think. And I agree that the Manning deal is a ballpark benchmark. Moreover I bet Belichick also sees it that way.

Re: Why wouldnt the Vikings sign Cassel to an offer sheet if francised?

The other thing here is that teams will see Cassel as carrying a level of risk, is he a product of the system , what would he be like without Moss, Welker etc

Hence why he's a 2nd rounder. I hear all this talk of Peppers but to do a trade we'd have to give up more than MC, probably a 3rd as well

You're missing the fact that we have a ton of evidence that Cassel is a big ticket item. Patchick nailed the major points, but also look at people scrambling for a piece of the Patriots.

McDaniels could be a product of the system as much as Matt. Pioli could look good simply because of Bill. Despite the failure of guys like Crennel and Mangini, teams are still charging hard after these guys.

Matt is essentially going to be a draftable QB. He's got two things on the QB's entering the draft:

1) NFL experience with a proven track record & training under a proven team.

2) He will be cheaper to sign than a top 10 drafted QB.

I think it's easy to say what we think he's worth, but stand in the position of a coach, GM or owner facing a bleak future at QB and throwing a first at ANY DRAFT POSITION at the Patriots is the best possible option, especially if you can sign him and generate fan-buzz even before the draft.

And if I'm even a bit worried about competition, I get that offer in the day he's franchised, with the expectation I may have to up the give.

Last edited:

Really? And they know this because they've been able to win the superbowl with an average QB, right?

Oh wait, the vikings and bears have not been able to win the big games recently because they DON'T have a good qb. I know a couple of bears fans. All they ever talk about is dumping grossman and orton and just wishing for 1 good QB.

Lovie Smith has already stated that his first priority is

NOT a quarterback.

Lovie Smith has already stated that his first priority is

NOT a quarterback.

Is Lovie the GM?

Hey guys! New here. Glad I found this site. I couldn't post on the troll infested ESPN boards anymore.

I have a feeling the Eagles could be a dark horse destination for Cassel.

Yesterday Deon Sanders said that McNabb wants out. Now, I don't usually put much stock into what Deon says, but he is tight with McNabb, and McNabb has stated he wants out if he doesn't get a new contract.

McNabb is under contract, but I could see the Eagles trading him to Chicago, and then trading for Cassel. We know that Lurie and Kraft are real tight, so I am sure it will be discussed.

A mobile QB like Cassel would be a pefect fit in the Eagles system. Don't count out the Eagles.

Matt is essentially going to be a draftable QB. He's got two things on the QB's entering the draft:

1) NFL experience with a proven track record & training under a proven team.

2) He will be cheaper to sign than a top 10 drafted QB.

Please back up your second point.

Matt Cassel is going to be more expensive to sign than the #1 overall pick. Let alone the #10th overall pick.

FWIW - When you hear that a Top draft pick has a large deal, that report presumes that the player makes each and every incentive/escalator in that deal.

Matt Cassel is a possibility for any of the following teams:

New York Jets (17 pick)
Kansas City (3 Pick)
Carolina ( no first rounders)
Detroit (1 and 20 pick)
Minnesota (22)
Philly (21 28)
Tampa (19 pick)

To start Carolina seems unlikey becuase they have no firsts this year, and the patriots really need some quality depth for 2009. This could be an instance of tag and trade for julius peppers for Matt Cassel, especially if he is willing to move to OLB for a season before Seymour moves on in 2010.

Another possible but unlikely is Philly. Perhaps McNabb is done, but i really dont think he is. I bet andy reid gets the boot. In either case i really dont see Matt headed to the city of brotherly love, mostly becuase i believe Reid will be fired.

Tampa is completly possible. It depends if they want to pay for Matt. They like to spend their money on defense, not offense.

Is Pioli so in love with Cassel that he is willing to trade down his draft pick in order to get Matt, Maybe. This is up to Pioli, becuase matt would love to play for the guy who scouted him.

My dark horse in this race is the New York Jets, they have been known to switch players and coaches, and this would only add to the rivalry and bring marketability back to the Jets. Far more than bret favre did. The 17 pick is good compensation for Matt, with a compensatory pick for 2010 based on performance.

The most likely of the trades is Detroit. The 20 pick for Matt with an additional 2010 pick based on performance. It makes all the sense in the world for Detroit and would give hope to their fans.

WTF does Brady's condition have to do with it? Unless you really think that the Pats are going to dump $30M into the quarterback position this year, Cassel will almost certainly be traded (assuming he's franchised).

What is wrong with $29 million in the QB position, if you can fit it and don't jeopardize the Teams long term CAP?

Kraft has promisied to spend up to the limit of what is legal every year, to produce a winner without gambing it all on a one year try.

What position is more important than QB? What is Belichick's well known preference for Depth at every position?
What are the Patriots if not a legitimate SB contender in 2009?

They are the Vegas odds on favorite right now.

Hey guys! New here. Glad I found this site. I couldn't post on the troll infested ESPN boards anymore.

I have a feeling the Eagles could be a dark horse destination for Cassel.

Yesterday Deon Sanders said that McNabb wants out. Now, I don't usually put much stock into what Deon says, but he is tight with McNabb, and McNabb has stated he wants out if he doesn't get a new contract.

McNabb is under contract, but I could see the Eagles trading him to Chicago, and then trading for Cassel. We know that Lurie and Kraft are real tight, so I am sure it will be discussed.

A mobile QB like Cassel would be a pefect fit in the Eagles system. Don't count out the Eagles.

That would be an interesting trade, decent position for their 1st round draft pick, they're in the NFC, Kolb appears to be a big bust.

Hmmmmmmmm

My dark horse in this race is the New York Jets, they have been known to switch players and coaches, and this would only add to the rivalry and bring marketability back to the Jets. Far more than bret favre did. The 17 pick is good compensation for Matt, with a compensatory pick for 2010 based on performance.

The only way the JEST get Cassel is if they cough up two first-round draft picks.

The only way the JEST get Cassel is if they cough up two first-round draft picks.
Yeah, I'd love that for two reasons. One, of course, it would be an AWESOME value for Cassel. And two, it would add that little something back into the Jest games.

Yeah, I'd love that for two reasons. One, of course, it would be an AWESOME value for Cassel. And two, it would add that little something back into the Jest games.

:idontgetit:

Didn't we all agree that Cassel is a quarterback who is exceptionally good at decision-making? :confused:

NFL Live Chat

If Anderson will fetch a 2nd, surely Cassel will get you a lot more.
To get Anderson is going to cost at least a second-round pick, and maybe a first, and that's a steep price.

NFL Live Chat

If Anderson will fetch a 2nd, surely Cassel will get you a lot more.
I have a feeling Shefter lost track of himself. Giving a plateful of prepacked information is different than doing a live chat and I bet he'll look back at this Anderson comment shaking his head.

I have a feeling Shefter lost track of himself. Giving a plateful of prepacked information is different than doing a live chat and I bet he'll look back at this Anderson comment shaking his head.

Well, it's not like he only had one chance to get it right:

But if you're the Vikings, and you want to solidify the position, you have two primary options to me: trading for Anderson or signing Garcia. Garcia would be a short-term solution, Anderson a longer-term but pricier one. To get Anderson is going to cost at least a second-round pick, and maybe a first, and that's a steep price. Then again, Minnesota traded its 1 last year and that worked out pretty well, didn't it?

And, BTW, later in that chat:

Adam do you think the pats will slap the franchise tag on matt cassel just in case tom brady isn't ready for next season? And if he goes to another team where would be a good fit?

Thomas: the Patriots have no choice but to slap the franchise tag on Cassel, even if it costs them $14 million per season. There's no way they can allow a 26-year-old quarterback entering the prime of his career to walk out the door for nothing. Especially when there are questions about whether Tom Brady will be ready for training camp. As painful as it is, New England has to swallow hard, franchise Cassel and find ways to save money elsewhere.

Last edited:
Well, it's not like he only had one chance to get it right:

Maybe he'll end up being right, I just think he got the name right but wasn't thinking straight and was thinking "Anderson, good young QB with big arm" and not the more correct "Anderson, ****tty young QB with big arm".

Look at the bright side - Schefter at least set a range for Cassel:
Josh, Wellington FL
01:16 PM ET

will mcnabb be back in philly for years to come?

Adam Schefter, NFL Network

That's the question of the off-season, Josh. This has the makings of a Brett Favre drama written on it. McNabb will want long-term security, the Eagles will balk at giving him too much of it, and it sets up a potential showdown. Now I remember two years ago, an NFC team called the Eagles and asked what it would take to get McNabb. It was told three first-round picks. Don't think the price would be that high now, but if Philadelphia ever decided it would be willing to entertain trade offers, the Eagles start by asking for at least two first-round picks.
So, Anderson is a minimum 2nd round pick and maybe a 1st, and McNabb starts at two 1st round picks. McNabb's upside is known, and from Schefter's comments is past - so he's on the downside now. Anderson was benched, came back briefly after Quinn was injured, then went on IR. Schefter thinks he's an easy 2nd and not an unlikely 1st. I'd say anyone who has had doubts about Cassel's value being a 1st plus should reconsider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back