PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King on Cassel's trade value

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say anyone who has had doubts about Cassel's value being a 1st plus should reconsider.

The problem is there is a difference between "value" and "market". Cassel's value is a first plus something else (maybe conditional). We have no idea what the market for Cassel will be. The primary candidates will be KC, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, SF and Tampa. Two of those teams will be looking to the draft for help (Stafford and Sanchez). That means only 4 teams will be interested and only Detroit is completely devoid of QB skills.

There are some positive trends though. McNabb looks to be off the market (keeping Chicago still in play). The AFC West and NFC North are ripe for the taking and Cassel could be the difference in winning the division. For the NFC North, you have division rivals involved in the bidding process so you not only get a franchise QB but you also keep him from a competitor. KC now has Pioli. Tampa has a new GM and coach, hopefully replacing their "QB by very large and very mediocre committee" philosophy.

So I can see the Bears (#18), Bucs (#19), Lions (#20) or Vikings (#22) giving up a 1st round pick for Cassel...particularly if multiple teams have strong interest. For the Chiefs you are probably looking at #34. I don't think the 49ers will be involved and I have them pegged for Stafford or Sanchez at #10.

I would rank the possibilities as:
1. Vikings
2. Chiefs (2nd round)
3. Lions
4. Bears
5. Bucs

So that seems like a pretty good market to get fair value for Cassel. If teams start falling off that list, expect the value to drop as well. Not because Cassel isn't worth a 1st...but because the market won't be there to get it.

I would rank the possibilities as:
1. Vikings
2. Chiefs (2nd round)
3. Lions
4. Bears
5. Bucs

So that seems like a pretty good market to get fair value for Cassel. If teams start falling off that list, expect the value to drop as well. Not because Cassel isn't worth a 1st...but because the market won't be there to get it.
I would add the Jets too. Their cupboard is bare at QB unless they throw in the towel and go real young. Of course we wouldn't want to trade him there but for the right price (either too much or the only good offer) it's not totally unrealistic.

Look at the bright side - Schefter at least set a range for Cassel:So, Anderson is a minimum 2nd round pick and maybe a 1st, and McNabb starts at two 1st round picks. McNabb's upside is known, and from Schefter's comments is past - so he's on the downside now. Anderson was benched, came back briefly after Quinn was injured, then went on IR. Schefter thinks he's an easy 2nd and not an unlikely 1st. I'd say anyone who has had doubts about Cassel's value being a 1st plus should reconsider.

If the Eagles get a 1st back for McNabb, a 32 year old QB, the Pats should get considerably more for Cassel who is 26 and just entering his prime.

If the Eagles want him, I'd demand their 1st, 3rd, and maybe throw in Lito Sheppard who is really unhappy with his situation in Philadelphia.

Lito Sheppard isn't starting, but he wants tobe - Bleeding Green Nation

I would add the Jets too. Their cupboard is bare at QB unless they throw in the towel and go real young. Of course we wouldn't want to trade him there but for the right price (either too much or the only good offer) it's not totally unrealistic.

Brett Favre never goes away. He is like herpes...once he infects your team you can't get rid of him. You just enjoy your time between outbreaks.

Brett Favre never goes away. He is like herpes...once he infects your team you can't get rid of him. You just enjoy your time between outbreaks.

......:rofl:.....

10chas

That would be an interesting trade, decent position for their 1st round draft pick, they're in the NFC, Kolb appears to be a big bust.

Hmmmmmmmm

Would want more than their first rounder. Maybe a third and Sheppard too?
DW Toys

I don't think the Pats trade w/anyone ahead of SF at 10. Buffalo @ 11, Denver @ 12, Washington @ 13, Saints @ 14, Houston @ 15, San Diego @ 16 don't need a QB. The Jets @ 17 will not happen. Chicago @ 18, Tampa Bay @ 19 and Detroit as mentioned @ 20 are good spots. So the most likely trading partners in my mind are SF @ 10, Chicago @ 18, Tampa Bay @ 19 and Detroit @ 20. I don't see the Pats going below pick 20 and in my mind they will ask for a 1st and more in this year's draft.

:ditto::agree::yeahthat:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back