PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Peter King on Cassel's trade value

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think Cassel going to K.C. would be very good for both sides. Tho, we shouldn't talk about that happening because of Brady's physical condition. Isn't that right, Deus Irae.

I'm just going by the truism that "it just takes one". Whatever that "one" is willing to give, I'm sure Belichick will make sure it's enough.

I would think Cassel going to K.C. would be very good for both sides. Tho, we shouldn't talk about that happening because of Brady's physical condition. Isn't that right, Deus Irae.

WTF does Brady's condition have to do with it? Unless you really think that the Pats are going to dump $30M into the quarterback position this year, Cassel will almost certainly be traded (assuming he's franchised).

WTF does Brady's condition have to do with it? Unless you really think that the Pats are going to dump $30M into the quarterback position this year, Cassel will almost certainly be traded (assuming he's franchised).

Hey, I'm using the same logic he used on "the other thread". How can Cassel be traded if Brady can't pass a physical on time (which also means he cannot play).
I will not post on this thread again, just wanted to make a point.

Hey, I'm using the same logic he used on "the other thread". How can Cassel be traded if Brady can't pass a physical on time (which also means he cannot play).
I will not post on this thread again, just wanted to make a point.

Except that it's not the same thing, as you would full well know if you thought about it for even half a second. There is O'Connell, and there are veteran QBs that can be brought in. What is wrong with you that you have to compound one bout of ridiculousness with another, all over a thread that was nonsensical in the first place?

Last edited:
In that case, do you pick Stafford or Sanchez? Because both have more question marks than Cassel does, and either one would require a similarly large contract (probably a bigger one, even).

I really don't know, to tell you the truth. I'm more concerned with Sanchez than Stafford, even though Sanchez has a bigger upside. He looked dull quite a bit this year.

No GM is going to risk letting th next Carson Palmer go through their fingers even if it's at the risk of drafting a Matt Leinhart.

Didn't the Top QB Sam Bradford returned for his Senior year? What's your point?:confused:

Both Sanchez and Stafford were rated by scouts higher than Bradford well before Bradford announced he was going back to college.

I'll say this: Matt Ryan had as many detractors as Sanchez and Stafford. Cutler had a lot of detractors as well. Don't forget that Matt Ryan was an interception machine at BC. GMs will go with the young kids if they like the young kids at all. Matt Ryan gives them reason, and so does Joe Flacco.

Think about it. Would you keep Cassell over Ryan if you're any team other than the Patriots? (If I'm the Patriots I keep Cassell over most everyone because he plays so well in the system).

KC could, say, trade down to #7 or so. The #7 pick didn't work out too badly for New England last year. :D

On a more serious note, though, I could see the Pats taking KC's 2nd in 2009 and a conditional pick in 2010 (e.g., Cassel reaches the playoffs--which would probably mean something like a 9-game improvement--and the Pats get KC's 1st in 2010).

I think this is fair for both parties.

if we dont get a first, i would think it would have to be at least 2 2nd's no? i think and 2nd this year and a first next would be fair, but i dont know if they are going to be willing to do this. they may think they have no chance this year and next and just load up on their picks, thats probably what i would do if i were the chiefs. they need to get better as a team not at 1 position. i would think they would look to unload LJ and Tony G for a few more picks. i would think they could get a 4th or 5th for LJ and a 2nd or 3rd for gonzo. that would put them in a great position for the future. so as much as i want the chiefs picks, i dont know if they are the right fit

I have little interest in this thread. I just think, and have always thought, that the name "Peter King" is kind of funny...

Last edited:

I think here in NE were hopecasting about Cassel going for a first. Around the rest of the league he had one good half of a season and is a system QB. Whether we all disagree with that or not thats how he's seen

Id quite happily take a high 2nd and a 2010 conditional. In a deep draft 3 2nd rounders gives us room to do all sorts of things. I mean if we could get Smith (CB), Sintim/Cushing/Curry(LB), a Johnson(S) and an OL out of those 4 i'd be delighted

Last edited:
I think here in NE were hopecasting about Cassel going for a first. Around the rest of the league he had one good half of a season and is a system QB. Whether we all disagree with that or not thats how he's seen

What makes things so strange, though, is that QBs tend to fetch relatively high prices anyways. For example, Matt Schaub fetched two seconds, and here was his stat-line for his first three seasons:

52.2% completion, 5.2 YPA, 6 TD, 6 INT

If you think about it, that's f***ing insane. As the saw went, the reason he got so much is, ironically, because he "torched" the Mangenius-led Patriots defense.

And at least one team apparently was willing to give Cleveland a first and a third for Derek Anderson, who noticeably declined as the season went on. [They initially offered him $20M/3 yr; they upped the offer to $24M before he signed it.]

Id quite happily take a high 2nd and a 2010 conditional. In a deep draft 3 2nd rounders gives us room to do all sorts of things. I mean if we could get Smith (CB), Barwin/Matthews/Sintim/Cushing/Curry(LB), a Johnson(S) and an OL out of those 4 i'd be delighted

Fixed your post for you. :)

Why wouldnt the Vikings sign Cassel to an offer sheet if francised?

If the Pats franchise Cassel, what is to stop the Vikings from signing Cassel to an offer? If he signs, they need to give up two first round picks to the Pats. Their pick this year is the #22, and their potential 2010 pick is more then likely in the 20's as well. To me, it makes all the sense in the world for the Vikings to do this. They are a good QB away from being a top team in the NFC, if not the NFL. Their time is now and with as weak as the NFC North is, they can be on top of that division for years. A rookie will take a few years to develop and they might not have enough picks to trade up to get a top QB in the draft. And there are not really any other good FA QBs out there. Warner will more then likely stay at Arizona, and Garcia and Collins are not much better then Ferrotte. CasSsel gives them a good QB in his prime who has little wear and tear on him and has a much higher ceiling then other QBs. Not to mention the biggest plus out of it, you stay out of a bidding war with other teams and you keep him from another NFC rival.

So the question is if you were the Vikings GM, would you give up two 1st rounders (both in the 20's) and sign Cassel? I would. I would then go out and sign Housmanzadeh.

And as a Pats fan, would you be happy with that as compensation for Cassel? I most certainly would.

Re: Why wouldnt the Vikings sign Cassel to an offer sheet if francised?

If the Pats franchise Cassel, what is to stop the Vikings from signing Cassel to an offer? If he signs, they need to give up two first round picks to the Pats. Their pick this year is the #22, and their potential 2010 pick is more then likely in the 20's as well. To me, it makes all the sense in the world for the Vikings to do this. They are a good QB away from being a top team in the NFC, if not the NFL. Their time is now and with as weak as the NFC North is, they can be on top of that division for years. A rookie will take a few years to develop and they might not have enough picks to trade up to get a top QB in the draft. And there are not really any other good FA QBs out there. Warner will more then likely stay at Arizona, and Garcia and Collins are not much better then Ferrotte. CasSsel gives them a good QB in his prime who has little wear and tear on him and has a much higher ceiling then other QBs. Not to mention the biggest plus out of it, you stay out of a bidding war with other teams and you keep him from another NFC rival.

So the question is if you were the Vikings GM, would you give up two 1st rounders (both in the 20's) and sign Cassel? I would. I would then go out and sign Housmanzadeh.

And as a Pats fan, would you be happy with that as compensation for Cassel? I most certainly would.

Because you might be able to negotiate the price down to, say, a 1st in 2009 and a sliding pick in 2010, or a 2nd in 2009 and a 1st in 2010, etc.

As Box_O_Rocks noted in another thread, though, Minnesota is (mis)managed by morons.

It probably wouldn't happen because the Vikings wouldn't do that. They would attempt to trade, and the Pats would likely accept less than two firsts for Cassell, so the Vikings (assuming they would spend 2 1sts) wouldn't have to pay as much as the two 1sts.

Let's not forget that Childress keeps thinking that Tavaris Jackson is the future of the Vikings all the while John David Booty sits on the bench.

Because you might be able to negotiate the price down to, say, a 1st in 2009 and a sliding pick in 2010, or a 2nd in 2009 and a 1st in 2010, etc.

As Box_O_Rocks noted in another thread, though, Minnesota is (mis)managed by morons.

While I agree that is a good reason to not sign him to a tender, I still think doing so and giving up those two 1st rounders is the best deal for the Vikings. They get the best QB they can get, in his prime for the next 5 years or so. And they dont run the risk of losing him to another team who outbids you for him.

what did the vikes give up for jared allen?

what did the vikes give up for jared allen?

Chiefs trade Allen to Vikings - Kansas City Star

The Chiefs are expected to receive Minnesota’s first-round pick (No. 17) and both the Vikings’ third-round picks (73rd and 82nd). It would give the Chiefs six picks in the first 82 players in this weekend’s draft and 13 total picks. The Chiefs also have one choice in the fourth and two each in the fifth, sixth and seventh rounds.

The teams also discussed swapping picks in either the fifth, sixth or seventh rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back