PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perfect season banner to hang in Foxboro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps, it is an indication that we will have another perfect season.

Last edited:
It's a massive achievement in itself. Nothing to do with a SB or AFC title, nor celebrating 2nd place. It's actualy quite the opposite. Not fussed if they want to throw one up there, the team should be proud of that particular achievement and fans should be too.

I agree with this. Wasn't the slogan the team has adopted for 2008 FINISH What better reminder then hanging this banner . I actually think the banner will look good as a bookend for this years SB banner. :cool:(especially if it is 19-0)
This theorizing that its a motivational tool confounds me. Do people really think this is the brainchild of Bill Belichick? Or that he in any way advocates it for that purpose? Come on. I think that's wishful thinking, a left-field theory that's easier for some to swallow than the concept that this is simply a boneheaded gesture by the FO.

Actually, I'd prefer it if while they're on the field, they concentrate on their opponent instead of gazing to the south end zone for inspiration.

Tell me, what stadium sign is supposed to motivate them for the eight games they're on the road?

I've got the perfect solution - just hang one "AFC Champions" banner and have the 6 seasons & regular season records listed. Something like this:

AFC CHAMPIONS
1985 (11-5)
1996 (11-5)
2001 (11-5)
2003 (14-2)
2004 (14-2)
2007 (16-0)

I think hanging just one banner for the 2007 season is painfully awkward. If they had a banner (like the one above) it would be a fitting tribute but it would also remind everyone that each Patriots AFC champion team is highly regarded.

Last edited:
I've got the perfect solution - just hang one "AFC Champions" banner and have the 6 seasons & regular season records listed. Something like this:

AFC CHAMPIONS
1985 (11-5)
1996 (11-5)
2001 (11-5)
2003 (14-2)
2004 (14-2)
2007 (16-0)

I think hanging just one banner for the 2007 season is painfully awkward. If they had a banner (like the one above) it would be a fitting tribute but it would also remind everyone that each Patriots AFC champion team is highly regarded.
Sure, why not. Maybe work in the playoff records from each season too. Then find a way to incorporate it onto the bridge in the north end zone. Conference champs on one end, league champs on the other. Works for me.

This theorizing that its a motivational tool confounds me. Do people really think this is the brainchild of Bill Belichick? Or that he in any way advocates it for that purpose? Come on. I think that's wishful thinking, a left-field theory that's easier for some to swallow than the concept that this is simply a boneheaded gesture by the FO.

Actually, I'd prefer it if while they're on the field, they concentrate on their opponent instead of gazing to the south end zone for inspiration.

Tell me, what stadium sign is supposed to motivate them for the eight games they're on the road?[/QUOTE]

I'm sitting in the end zone row 8 for the Chargers and end zone row 6 for the Dolphins. I can hold the sign up for those games and we can get volunteers here for the other 6 road games::singing:

I will be really clear. There have been many, many Super Bowl champions. There have only been 2 teams since the merged NFL started that have had undefeated regular seasons, a couple of more before the merger. The undefeated 16-0 2007 patriots deserve a banner every bit as much as those who won the Super Bowl. Maybe the banner shouldn't be next to the Super Bowl banners; I think it should be. But in the end, this isn't about me, or the other posters, or even the fans at the games. It is about how the Patriots choose to celebrate their accomplishments. And as almost always, I agree and support 100% the savior of the patriots: Robert Kraft. Without him there would be no team in New England, except for perhaps a expansion team in Hartford.

I have been a patirot fan since 1980 and followed them with the rest of the AFL in the years before that. I was every bit as proud of the 2007 team as I was of the Super Bowl teams. The 2007 Patriots were one of the very best teams of all time (as was the 2004-2005 team), who were beaten by a team who was better for a day. And yes, I will debate with the rest of you with regard to how to improve on last year's team and how we should best improve this position or that, or imporve depth at this position or that, in order to be even better this year. But that debate cannot diminish the accomplishment of the 2007 Patriots, at least not foe me.

It's not about not being able to celebrate it. I haven't heard a soul complain that the team had a ceremony and rings were awarded. The complaint is about the banner and where the ownership plans to hang it, pure and simple.

This is about cheapening the three banners that are there already by placing a near miss right next to it. That's a slippery slope (who's to say when Jon will think is worth commemorating fifteen years from now? Conference Championship Participant?), and one that shouldn't be undertaken lightly.

I don't think commemoration of their achievement last year is a bad thing. I think putting up a banner right next to ACTUAL Super Bowl Championship banners is a ridiculous idea, and I think Pats fans - not Miami fans, but Pats fans - should be telling the ownership to go back to the drawing board and come up with something else before they carry out this ridiculous and bar lowering event.

There's a difference between "legitimate champion" and "best team".

The Patriots were obviously the best team. However the Giants were the legitimate Champion.

On the banner, I would forget the AFC Champion stuff. And I would modify the banner to "16-0 Perfect Regular Season".

I agree. I get what they're doing, but I'd prefer to only make the 16-0 stuff visible. Especially for when the Phins and that idiot coach are in town.

I will be really clear. There have been many, many Super Bowl champions. There have only been 2 teams since the merged NFL started that have had undefeated regular seasons, a couple of more before the merger. The undefeated 16-0 2007 patriots deserve a banner every bit as much as those who won the Super Bowl. Maybe the banner shouldn't be next to the Super Bowl banners; I think it should be. But in the end, this isn't about me, or the other posters, or even the fans at the games. It is about how the Patriots choose to celebrate their accomplishments. And as almost always, I agree and support 100% the savior of the patriots: Robert Kraft. Without him there would be no team in New England, except for perhaps a expansion team in Hartford.

I have been a patirot fan since 1980 and followed them with the rest of the AFL in the years before that. I was every bit as proud of the 2007 team as I was of the Super Bowl teams. The 2007 Patriots were one of the very best teams of all time (as was the 2004-2005 team), who were beaten by a team who was better for a day. And yes, I will debate with the rest of you with regard to how to improve on last year's team and how we should best improve this position or that, or imporve depth at this position or that, in order to be even better this year. But that debate cannot diminish the accomplishment of the 2007 Patriots, at least not foe me.

Great. However, they didn't win the title. Give them a plaque on a wall and some cookies. Banners are for championships and retired numbers.

FYI-The Colts are keeping up their cheesy participation banners after the move to their new stadium:

may2008072.jpg

I'm OK in commemorating all AFC champions on one banner, but any single banner dedicated to one season that did not end in a championship also strikes me a little poorly.

Maybe someday I can celebrate 16-0 a little but not now. Sorry. I know how amazing a feat it was, but it didn't meet the goal. The goal was not numerical. It was to be Super Bowl Champion.

Personally I don't like it. Should only ever be Super Bowl wins, in the end that's all that matters.

The whole "2007 banner" issue is reminiscent of the Pats towards the end of '07: mystique vs reality. The Pats "mystique" of staying undefeated late into the season took our attention away from the "reality" that even bad teams were hanging with them. The 2007 Pats may have carried the most mystique going into a Super Bowl, but the reality is theywere the AFC Champions and that's the highest team honor they achieved.

I know the difference between "2007 AFC Champs" and "Greatest Team in Pro Sports History" was a fraction of an inch in reality, but it is what it is.

RichPats, when were you called a Jets fan?

RichPats, when were you called a Jets fan?

I'll try to highlight the issues that brought up the accusation:

-I caught crap for saying that Belichick made a mistake in filming and his punishment was fair....though I maintained that I thought he was a great coach and his accomplishments aren't tarnished....yet some still thought I was trolling

-I pointed out that our coaching staff (as a unit) has declined over the last few years and the coordinators especially need to step-up their in-game adjustments in the postseason....
spoken like a true Jets fan :rolleyes:

-And the oddest "accusation" came during the NBA Finals. I pull for the Lakers (yes there are those odd Patriot/Laker fans that had to root against a Boston team in the finals) and some jackass who always thought I was a troll just thought I was piling on, then called me a Yankee fan, etc etc.

So that drew the ire of some sensitive fans here, all of which I have on ignore :)

I think I said how I feel about this here. But hanging it a couple of feet lower than the championship banners is a good idea too. I think that would properly symbolize the two salient facts about last season:

1. What we did last season was a great accomplishment.

2. It was a lesser accomplishment than winning a Super Bowl.

Look at it this way: that banner tells every AFC team that walks into our yard to play that they haven't got a chance in h3ll of even MAKING the Superbowl. They might as well go home and play with their kids.

Why is it that having a banner from 2007 and you only remember "the fall" and not the 18 awesome wins?

You don't have to answer the question....but think about what that says about you, not what it says about the Patriots.

Ask Tom Brady if he wants a banner - I bet he says "no." The reason many people don't want it is, at the end of the day, the ultimate success in the NFL is winning the Superbowl. We fell short, and while what happened along the way was great, it ended in a big disappointment.

I, and it looks like more than a few others on here, don't think there should be a banner. It doesn't mean we're bad or ungrateful fans. It just means we think banners should be reserved for one thing, and we didn't get it. I don't there should be a ring, either, while we're at it.

We'd rather move on and get a banner & a ring this year the old fashioned way.

GO PATS!!

The 2007 Patriots were one of the very best teams of all time who were beaten by a team who was better for a day.
The day that counted the most.

I'm sure there have been hundreds, if not thousands, of Rams, Steelers, and Colts fans who have made the same claim over the last several years - "my team was better, just not that day". And I'm sure I don't have to tell you what the reaction to those claims was here. And rightly so.

Better for a day? Being better on that day is the essense of what the NFL championship is.

But that debate cannot diminish the accomplishment of the 2007 Patriots, at least not foe me.
Who's trying to diminish the accomplishments of the 2007 Patriots? I'm not. Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen anybody else do that either.

I'm debating whether that piece of real estate where the championship banners hang is diminished by opening the space up to whatever non-championship banner they want to hang next. Putting anything up there even in proximity of that area smacks to me of declaring yourselves champions despite all evidence to the contrary.

And for what its worth, I've got a couple of decades on even you in terms of following the team, and nobody has to remind me what Robert Kraft has done for Patriots fans. I have one of his business cards signed with a personalized message, and it's one of those prized possessions you hang on to for a lifetime.

But even I won't agree with him when he's not right.

16-0 was speciail, but, I am not sure I am happy to see anything but Championship banners flying over Gillette (ala the Celtics).

I could not agree more.

Hanging a perfect season banner when you did not have one, is completely hokie!

The first time I can remember feeling embarrassed for Bob Kraft since his completely hammered 1996 AFC Championship Game speech calling Bill Parcells "the greatest coach in modern times"!

Oh yeah, and there was the time he accidentally gave away his Super Bowl ring to Vladi Putin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News