PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perfect season banner to hang in Foxboro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I let other team's fans carry on the talk about wanting us to lose, not make the playoffs. Personally give me 14-2 or 13-3 this year. And the big ring at the end.

I think I am coming across a bit harsher than I mean to. I am just not into a banner commemorating the 18-1 season. Not just because it was an 18-1 season, but because we didn't win it all. Just my opinion, of course.

Sorry Michael and Bradmahn, I am not trying to be a **** to either of you. :eat3: Cheers to this coming season!

No hard feelings.

I pretty much agree with you that banners are for championships otherwise you end up with "Yay! we finished second in the conference!" ones - but a perfect regular season goes a long way in accepting a non-Super Bowl banner (for me, at least).

Here's to Chad Jack.

dang...im also against that banner....

i just dont see much point in it

but u know what, can u imagine the players from last years team seeing that there?

ill go out on a limb right now, and say we go undefeated at home this year

I don't agree with putting it up, but I think it will be a motivating factor for many of the players.....

not to bring up a sore subject, but the Dolphins, prior to their perfect season, lost to the Cowboys in the SuperBowl.... It left a sour taste in many of the players mouths and was listed as a motivater for their perfect season.

I don't agree with putting it up, but I think it will be a motivating factor for many of the players.....

not to bring up a sore subject, but the Dolphins, prior to their perfect season, lost to the Cowboys in the SuperBowl.... It left a sour taste in many of the players mouths and was listed as a motivater for their perfect season.

Yeah, why didn't the Cowboys just let them win? Then everyone would say "Mercury Who?"

None of US here worked our butts off and put up with the unprecidented media pressure to go 16-0 and win playoff games to make the SB, so if the Patriots team management feels that a banner is appropriate recognition for those accomplishments, fine.

Speaking as a fan, I could not care less about 16-0 seasons. I only care about SB Championships. Those SB banners are fine with me. I guess that's why I'm not a Colts or Chaagiz fan.

I would suggest that those who cannot celebrate a playoff team, an AFC championship team and a 16-0 regular season deserve to be Miami fans.

If one were to take a vote for best teams of ALL TIME before the playoffs, the 2007 Patriots would have been in the top 5. The fact that they couldn't hold the ball enough to prevent the Giants from having their last drive or the fact that they couldn't stop the Giants on the last drive and stop the miracle catch does NOT change the fact that the 2007 New England Patriots were one of the best teams of all time, and being one of the very few undefeated regular season teams of all time. The 2007 Patriots were also one of the very best, if not the best, offense of all time.

The fact that the Giants played a great game and beat one of the best teams of all time is a great tribute to the Giants. And yes, on the day of the Super Bowl, the Giants were the best team of last season.

Last edited:

Coincidentally, the '72 Dolphins were the last team to win the Super Bowl one year after losing it (just the second team to do so).

Unfortunately that means if the Pats make it to the Super Bowl this year, even if they've been defeated, we will definitely hear from Mercury Morris again.

That sucks.

Last edited:
I would suggest that those who cannot celebrate a playoff team, an AFC championship team and a 16-0 regular season deserve to be Miami fans.

It's not about not being able to celebrate it. I haven't heard a soul complain that the team had a ceremony and rings were awarded. The complaint is about the banner and where the ownership plans to hang it, pure and simple.

This is about cheapening the three banners that are there already by placing a near miss right next to it. That's a slippery slope (who's to say when Jon will think is worth commemorating fifteen years from now? Conference Championship Participant?), and one that shouldn't be undertaken lightly.

I don't think commemoration of their achievement last year is a bad thing. I think putting up a banner right next to ACTUAL Super Bowl Championship banners is a ridiculous idea, and I think Pats fans - not Miami fans, but Pats fans - should be telling the ownership to go back to the drawing board and come up with something else before they carry out this ridiculous and bar lowering event.

It's a tease but I can't blame them for not trying remembering last season someway. I think a lot of people here fail to realize that 20 years from now when we look back and if the Pats can knab a few more titles that banner will just be another story of the franchise that makes you realize just how many things overall the team accomplished. Hopefully it serves as some sort of motivation as well.

All you rooting for a loss, why? What beat this team was a beat down in coaching. IMO, all this blue print talk on how to defeat the Pats is one sided. You don't think the Pats are thinking how opponents attack them?

Last edited:
I think this will be the first season I actually hope for a loss and early in the season. So all the bs hype doesn't start up again. And they can stay focused on what matters most.

why? no way

if this squad cant handle the pressure, after "practicing" on it all of last year...

well then, i would be extremely disapointed

It's not about not being able to celebrate it. I haven't heard a soul complain that the team had a ceremony and rings were awarded. The complaint is about the banner and where the ownership plans to hang it, pure and simple.

This is about cheapening the three banners that are there already by placing a near miss right next to it. That's a slippery slope (who's to say when Jon will think is worth commemorating fifteen years from now? Conference Championship Participant?), and one that shouldn't be undertaken lightly.

I don't think commemoration of their achievement last year is a bad thing. I think putting up a banner right next to ACTUAL Super Bowl Championship banners is a ridiculous idea, and I think Pats fans - not Miami fans, but Pats fans - should be telling the ownership to go back to the drawing board and come up with something else before they carry out this ridiculous and bar lowering event.

I don't know how you can say hanging a 16-0 banner next to the SB banner cheapens the SB win.

Every year a team wins the superbowl. I checked. It happens every single year since 1967. Haven't missed a single year. 42 times one team or anther managed to put together a sb winning team. Not really that amazing. I mean how amazing is something that has happened 42 times in 42 years.

However, only one other year has a team gone undefeated in the regular season. Something that has only happened twice in 42 years. Now that's a wow. And not one other team has ever gone 16-0 in the regular season. This is a first. No other team has won 18 games in a single season in a row.

This is not like the colts banner for being one of 4 teams to get a wild card slot. This is a team that has truely made history with its accomplishments, and all its fans can think is that it made history with its failure.

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with you. We have some ungreatful fans in this forum. They didn't win the Super Bowl so EVERYTHING ELSE THAT THEY ACCOMPLISHED IS NOTHING. The Patriots accomplished something very special last year. I remember when we couldn't win more than 2 games much less 18 games. Let them celebrate it. They should be proud of it. They didn't close the deal. If you want to hold that agains them, that's your right as a fan. This fan is proud of her team. They made some history last year. Think about that for a second. I remember when our team was the doormat of the NFL. All we did was LOSE. Now they are making history and breaking records.

The Super Bowl loss was hard to take. It really was. But you know what was harder? That shadow that hung over the team before they even played the game. THANK YOU, YOU PIECE OF **** JOHN TOMASE!! That morning when I heard the news, it felt like bad karma was everywhere. Instead of anticipating the game, I had to listen to constant SPYGATE crap. I had a bad feeling in my stomach all day leading up to the game...and we all saw the outcome.

I'm over that loss now, and I'm looking forward to the new season. For the first time this weekend I looked back at our 2007 season. Guys what our team Accomplished was Awesome. All of the other teams in the league will be fighting to even come close to what the Pats did last year. The Super Bowl loss made me forget how special the 2007 really was. The season deserves to be celebrated. Hopefully, it gives them even more FOCUS AND MOTIVATION for the upcoming season. The haters would like us to forget that our team did some special things last year. They want us to hate on our team for losing the Super Bowl. I won't let them win.

This is an excellent post.....well said.:agree:

I don't know how you can say hanging a 16-0 banner next to the SB banner cheapens the SB win.

Every year a team wins the superbowl. I checked. It happens every single year since 1967. Haven't missed a single year. 42 times one team or anther managed to put together a sb winning team. Not really that amazing. I mean how amazing is something that has happened 42 times in 42 years.

However, only one other year has a team gone undefeated in the regular season. Something that has only happened twice in 42 years. Now that's a wow. And not one other team has ever gone 16-0 in the regular season. This is a first. No other team has won 18 games in a single season.

This is not like the colts banner for being one of 4 teams to get a wild card slot. This is a team that has truely made history with its accomplishments, and all its fans can think is that it made history with its failure.

The 84 Bears AND 85 49ers both say hi.

To be clear, it doesn't cheapen the win itself. I didn't say that and wouldn't say that.

It completely cheapens the criteria by which you raise a banner. and frankly, I don't know how anyone can say it doesn't.

They made history by winning the 21 straight games too. Where's the banner for that?

For that matter, where's the AFC Championship banners for 1985 and 1996? Will they be hanging those too?

Not that I'm complaining they're not there, mind you. Those three banners that hang there now are special. Seeing the SB 36 banner unveiled in person was something I will never forget. That moment and that feeling should be reserved for the ultimate prize.

The area to the right of the SB 39 banner should be reserved for the next league championship they win.

Last year was a great year that has already been commemorated by the private ceremony and the rings awarded the players. None of us sitting in the stands will ever forget they won 18 straight before Glendale. We don't need to cheapen that real estate where the championship banners hang in order to remember that. It's a bad idea.

Last edited:
sounds like something the Colts would do.....

not for me...

To be clear, it doesn't cheapen the win itself. I didn't say that and wouldn't say that.

It completely cheapens the criteria by which you raise a banner. and frankly, I don't know how anyone can say it doesn't.

How does this sound for banner criteria win "a sb or have an undefeated season." Not like that is gonna result in a clutter of banners.

Name all the teams with undefeated regular seasons that don't have a banner.

16-0 is MORE amazing than a sb win. it deserves a banner.

This is a tremendous idea. Hey, they could put it up right next to all the "4-0" preseason banners!

Torn on the idea myself. On one hand, it has never been done before (undefeated 16 game regular season) but on the other hand, undefeated is not the ultimate goal, winning a superbowl is. You failed to meet your goal but you did it in the most spectacular way ever. I'm not sure that is really the message this team is going for, but the final product (can we win the SB in the next year or two?) may be the determining factor, and if we do win an SB or two and point (or allude) to that as a "lesson" (not that I'm sure we'd ever hear that out loud) of the ultimate goal, which we then went back and adjusted for, then it becomes that much more significant. If not, then it may be looked at differently. I think I'll withhold judgment for the time being and see how it goes. Sorry for pontificating and running on, I had to sort of think that out as I typed it...

It's there to serve a purpose.

I agree with this. Wasn't the slogan the team has adopted for 2008 FINISH What better reminder then hanging this banner . I actually think the banner will look good as a bookend for this years SB banner. :cool:(especially if it is 19-0)

Last edited:
16-0 is MORE amazing than a sb win.
I could never in one million lifetimes agree with that statement. With all due respect, I'd trade twenty undefeated regular seasons for even one more Super Bowl.

It deserves to be remembered for what it was. An historic regular season achievement.

A banner commemorating that has no business hanging next to banners that commemorate winning the league championship. Those should stand alone, above all else. Any relaxation of that criteria serves no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes