PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perfect season banner to hang in Foxboro

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgssand

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
16-0 was speciail, but, I am not sure I am happy to see anything but Championship banners flying over Gillette (ala the Celtics).

'Owner Robert Kraft and team president Jonathan Kraft presented the players with rings. On one side of the ring, it reads "16-0 -- perfect season." On the other, it reads "18-1, AFC Championship."

In addition, a banner was made to commemorate the season, and it was unveiled at the ceremony, with Kraft pulling a rope as it came down from the ceiling. It will be displayed at Gillette Stadium, next to the team's Super Bowl banners.

"I think there were two things going on from last year - and one was that it was an extraordinary year that I don't think we got to savor and enjoy," Kraft said. "We accomplished something special as a team and organization last year, under tremendous scrutiny, more scrutiny than any team has ever been under.

"We went 16-0, we won 18 straight games, and then the 19th game ended so abruptly that all of us have had a sick feeling in our stomach...."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2008/08/17/its_16_going_on_17___or_18/?page=2

Last edited by a moderator:
kind of cheesy. if anything I am sure it will eat at the players and will serve as motivation

I bet BB ordered it.

kind of cheesy. if anything I am sure it will eat at the players and will serve as motivation

I bet BB ordered it.

Jf you read on, you will find BB saying the week to week preparation, execution and accomplishment should be recognized.

I know I will appreciate 2007 much more WHEN we win another Superbowl. We need at least one more, in my mind, to really make the dynasty tops.

It makes an important point. An inferior team beat us on a flukey play, but without question, 18-1 leaves NO DOUBT who the best team in the NFL was last year. There is no Lombardi, but I don't gather anyone has illusions that the Giants were even a great team in 2007, let alone the best.

Last edited:
I don't like it. I prefer that only championships are "officially" celebrated.

I don't know if the banner is the right thing (still better than celebrating an AFC Championship appearance with a 'Finalist' banner) but last year was special and should be remembered with something.

It's there to serve a purpose.

lame lame lame. losing the sb was bad enough . putting up a banner for second place is embarrassing. last year should be forgotten.

It's there to serve a purpose.

I agree. Nothing is done haphazardly in this organization. Nothing like a constant reminder of an unfinished mission looming like a "specter" from a haunted season.

It makes an important point. An inferior team beat us on a flukey play, but without question, 18-1 leaves NO DOUBT who the best team in the NFL was last year. There is no Lombardi, but I don't gather anyone has illusions that the Giants were even a great team in 2007, let alone the best.
the best team in the league last year was the giants. they won the sb. case closed. all the other crap doesnt mean sh!t. sb or bust. if the pats were the best team they would have beat the giants.

I like it but don't think it should be placed near the championship banners. Place it somewhere else lower than the championship banners -- kinda like the way state flags are flown lower than the US flag.

And it does seem a little empty to me. I'd compare it to Drew Bledsoe owning the league record for most passing attempts in one game (70 Drew Bledsoe, New England vs. Minnesota, Nov. 13, 1994 (OT) In the end, it doesn't mean much.

I still say this is all b/c of Favre. If Favre hadn't pulled a Favre against the G-Men in the NFC Conference Game, we could have beaten Green Bay in XLII and quieted the ghosts of Super Bowl 31. But whatever, time to move on.

the best team in the league last year was the giants. they won the sb. case closed. all the other crap doesnt mean sh!t. sb or bust. if the pats were the best team they would have beat the giants.

If we played by the old NFL rules in which there were no Playoffs, the Patriots would be Champions due to having the best record. The league decided to halt this because all the great teams like the Packers were winning it every single year. Playoffs were instituted because they wanted to give a chance for the lesser teams to have a shot at glory, create more parity, if you will. That's all playoffs are, a chance for the scrubs to get one more shot at the elites in the league. And sometimes (Superbowls XXXVI & XXXXII for instance), the lesser team wins. The Giants beat the Patriots in one game that decided it all. Whereas the Patriots played an entire season to perfection, playing MULTIPLE games againse MULTIPLE elite teams and winning (and no, I don't consider the 07 Packers elite). The Giants won that one game that mattered most, but don't think for a minuet that the 07 Giants were better then the 07 Patriots, they merely had the best ending, which in any modern sport, matters most.

Last edited:
I don't like it. I prefer that only championships are "officially" celebrated.

Agreed, this smells of the Colts participation banners......

Attachments

• indy colt banner.jpg
    indy colt banner.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 230
Agreed, this smells of the Colts participation banners......

LOL

I agree it is a bit cheesy. but making the AFC Championship, just like winning the Superbowl, is done every year. I think commerating the SEASON seems much more fit then commerating the fact we merely made it to the Superbowl or won the AFC. I would have prefered a Lombardi over a perfect season, but oh well, gotta take what we got and move on.

Last edited:
When we win the Super Bowl this year it will be taken down and burned at the rolling rally.....it is only a space saver/motivator.

If only there was a way playoffs could be the best 2/3 or something.

16-0 is quite an accomplishment. No one has every done that before. As a Patriots fan for over 30 years, I remember when just making the playoffs was celebrated.

But, the best place for the banner would be in the new Patriots Hall of Fame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes