PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perfect season banner to hang in Foxboro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go ahead! No judge would convict you. :)

Do you really think so? :singing:

PJ, the guy just makes me so angry. The fact that he is still writing for that paper pisses me off even more. I trust NOTHING reported from that rag of a newspaper.

But back on topic, I get the point. I think that they should recognize their season, because it really was special. I also, think that the banner idea is ok too. I'm a little uncomfortable with the rings, but you know, it might just be Bob Kraft's way of saying thank you to his team.
Besides, I thought that the Losers of the Super Bowl still got rings for winning their conference. At least that's what I've heard.

It's like having the most amazing road trip, then crashing into a tree at the very end.

Despite how fantastic the ride was, the crash is what you'll always remember the most.

For some people at least...

Funny you should use such an analogy.

Depends on a person.

I had a friend in college, Cindy, she is the most amazing up beat person you will ever meet. She also has a nasty scar that runs down the entire length of her face.

One day I got the nerve to about the scar.

She started the story off, "The summer between 7th and 8th grade my family rented a mobile home went cross country ..." She spent 15 mins telling me about all the awesome stuff she did and saw and how much fun she had.

She spoke nonstop for 15 barely stopping for a breath. I figured it was her way of telling me she didn't want to talk about it. So apologized for asking about the scar and said I shouldn't have asked such a personal question.

Her response: "Oh no, it is fine, I started answering your question and then, I got so involved in telling you about the trip I forgot to answer your question, on the last day of the trip we were about a half hour from home and my dad had to slam on the brakes, I was walking around the mobile home and banged my head on the table. Need 23 stitches.

Every time any one asks me about the scar or I see it in the mirror it reminds me of the totally outstanding summer I had."

I wish I could say I had the positive outlook on life Cindy does. But I am trying.

Actually, it's the exact same thing. Unless it is there for motivational purposes and gets taken down after the Super Bowl 43 win, then it's ok with me.

The "exact same thing" only in that it is a banner with the word "Championship" on it.

If you don't see the difference between commemorating 18-0 with a banner as opposed to commemorating a loss in the AFC Championship game of a 12-4 season, I suppose there's nothing I can say to show you the folly in such a comparison.

One never happened before, the other happens every season.

There's been alot to be proud of over the years. Not any of those were commemorated with a banner or rings. Especially not those that ended with one of the biggest heartbreaks of my life.

No one is saying anyone shouldn't be proud of 18-0. But I like my banners to be for championships, not for an awesome run and then falling short. Every time I'll see that banner, which will be every home game soon enough, I'll be reminded of that fall.

First, there's a giant banner of Russ Francis there now that's bigger than the SB banners (others too).

The banner is cathartic. It hopefully helps fans to embrace the fullness of what this team really has done, rather than cherry pick the times that everything went their way as though those breaks were earned. I'm much less likely to take the prior SBs for granted these days, or to think that "clutch play" or skill or coaching was the difference between SB38 or SB42. There is a LOT more luck to the outcome of any game and any season that most fans and commentators are willing to accept. That includes the SB outcome.

Pats fans have for too long used the SB as a way to bash teams like the Colts or others that have an impressive run of sustained excellence. Yes, excellence AND SB wins is better than just excellence, but not by the degree to which is typically showcased here.

The real banners should be for sustained excellence - seven straight years of winning record, six straight years of playoff appearances, four AFC titles, three over all titles. It's that pyramid of constant success which points to the real accomplishment of an organization.

All I Know is that THE BOSTON HERALD and their HACK REPORTERS AND EDITORS RUINED THE SUPER BOWL FOR ME. I'm willing to bet that they ruined the Super Bowl for the team too...and the Giants completed the job.
This is the thing that I'll never get. How anyone straight-faced can maintain all these months later that a newspaper decided a football game, because that's essentially what you're saying here. Am I to assume that they won in 2001, 2003 and 2004 because the papers ran supportive articles before those games?

Why can't we just accept that they just got beat? That they weren't good enough to close the deal at the end? Since that's happened two years running, we ought to have gotten at least gotten familiar with the notion by now.

I ask the question because I've felt for several months that the best thing we can do for ourselves as fans is to let all the crap from last year go and move on, and I know I've seen that same sentiment expressed here too. Yet some folks continue to rail about Tomase and the Herald all these months later. Anytime there's an article written by Tomase in that paper, the venting starts all over again, there and here. There isn't a contradiction there?

We've been so blessed as fans over the past eight years, and by all accounts, we'll have another great team to follow and pull for again this year. In other words, these are the best of times for us all. Why are we so intent on lugging this crap forward for another year?

This is the thing that I'll never get. How anyone straight-faced can maintain all these months later that a newspaper decided a football game, because that's essentially what you're saying here. Am I to assume that they won in 2001, 2003 and 2004 because the papers ran supportive articles before those games?

Why can't we just accept that they just got beat? That they weren't good enough to close the deal at the end? Since that's happened two years running, we ought to have gotten at least gotten familiar with the notion by now.

I ask the question because I've felt for several months that the best thing we can do for ourselves as fans is to let all the crap from last year go and move on, and I know I've seen that same sentiment expressed here too. Yet some folks continue to rail about Tomase and the Herald all these months later. Anytime there's an article written by Tomase in that paper, the venting starts all over again, there and here. There isn't a contradiction there?

We've been so blessed as fans over the past eight years, and by all accounts, we'll have another great team to follow and pull for again this year. In other words, these are the best of times for us all. Why are we so intent on lugging this crap forward for another year?

Your point is well taken my friend. :) Can you blame fans for being so hostile towards Tomase? Everytime I see anything associated with the Herald, I remember what Tomase did. I avoid them at all costs. Unfortunately that Super Bowl and Tomase's BS report will forever be linked. We fans rely on the reporters who cover the team to give us valid and "factual" information. Is that to much for a fan to ask?
I also think that we are spoiled. We haven't seen this team lose a Super Bowl under Brady and BB's watch. We are not used to that. It was going to happen at some point. It was harder to take than losing the AFC championship game. Spygate made it feel worse.

dang...im also against that banner....

i just dont see much point in it

but u know what, can u imagine the players from last years team seeing that there?

ill go out on a limb right now, and say we go undefeated at home this year

Funny you should use such an analogy.

Depends on a person.

I had a friend in college, Cindy, she is the most amazing up beat person you will ever meet. She also has a nasty scar that runs down the entire length of her face.

One day I got the nerve to about the scar.

She started the story off, "The summer between 7th and 8th grade my family rented a mobile home went cross country ..." She spent 15 mins telling me about all the awesome stuff she did and saw and how much fun she had.

She spoke nonstop for 15 barely stopping for a breath. I figured it was her way of telling me she didn't want to talk about it. So apologized for asking about the scar and said I shouldn't have asked such a personal question.

Her response: "Oh no, it is fine, I started answering your question and then, I got so involved in telling you about the trip I forgot to answer your question, on the last day of the trip we were about a half hour from home and my dad had to slam on the brakes, I was walking around the mobile home and banged my head on the table. Need 23 stitches.

Every time any one asks me about the scar or I see it in the mirror it reminds me of the totally outstanding summer I had."

I wish I could say I had the positive outlook on life Cindy does. But I am trying.

Exactly why I added for some people. :D

Hopefully I'll be able to think of 2007 without feeling sick eventually.

I think this will be the first season I actually hope for a loss and early in the season. So all the bs hype doesn't start up again. And they can stay focused on what matters most.

The "exact same thing" only in that it is a banner with the word "Championship" on it.

If you don't see the difference between commemorating 18-0 with a banner as opposed to commemorating a loss in the AFC Championship game of a 12-4 season, I suppose there's nothing I can say to show you the folly in such a comparison.

One never happened before, the other happens every season.

:rolleyes: Oh, I get it, you're doing a grammer police thing. Ok, it is not the "exact same thing". We never hung a banner (yet) that said AFC Finalist. Substitiue "AFC Finalist" for "2007 Super Bowl Finalist" and, while not the "exact same thing", is pretty close and it DOES happen every season. Or, why not have a banner that says "Super Bowl 42: Patriots 14 - Giants 10 with 2:23 remaining in the 4th quarter"? Because, hey, at that point we were almost the champions.

Banners are for championships. Last year we were 2 minutes from winning a championship. Hence, no need for a banner. I don't see any 1985 Super Bowl Finalist or 1996 Super Bowl Finalist banner hanging anywhere in Foxboro.

I think this will be the first season I actually hope for a loss and early in the season. So all the bs hype doesn't start up again. And they can stay focused on what matters most.

Yeah, me too. I am actually going to cheer for them to lose 8 and miss the playoffs so they are REALLY focused next year. :rolleyes:

Sorry man, but cheering for a loss makes no sense. I imagine BB doesn't coach the team to lose, so I am not going to cheer for them to lose.

Yeah, me too. I am actually going to cheer for them to lose 8 and miss the playoffs so they are REALLY focused next year. :rolleyes:

Sorry man, but cheering for a loss makes no sense. I imagine BB doesn't coach the team to lose, so I am not going to cheer for them to lose.

Uhm yeah OK. :rolleyes:

I don't see any 1985 Super Bowl Finalist or 1996 Super Bowl Finalist banner hanging anywhere in Foxboro.

I believe that we did have an 85' AFC Champion and 96' Champion banners in the old stadium and they just didn't move.

FYI Colts don't have a banner from SB5. And they won that game, it just didn't move.

who is getting tonight's game ball?

The banner

Last edited:
I think I am coming across a bit harsher than I mean to. I am just not into a banner commemorating the 18-1 season. Not just because it was an 18-1 season, but because we didn't win it all. Just my opinion, of course.

Sorry Michael and Bradmahn, I am not trying to be a **** to either of you. :eat3: Cheers to this coming season!

Can you blame fans for being so hostile towards Tomase? Everytime I see anything associated with the Herald, I remember what Tomase did. I avoid them at all costs. Unfortunately that Super Bowl and Tomase's BS report will forever be linked. We fans rely on the reporters who cover the team to give us valid and "factual" information. Is that to much for a fan to ask?
No, I understand that people were angry about the story. I don't expect them to forget it. I know I was mad as hell - not so much at the time it was published (hey, it could have been true, after all), but certainly a few months later when it was all proven to be BS. Especially when you consider (as you pointed out) that Herald management, who clearly drove a ill-sourced story to the front page to cash in on the Pats success and visibility while the whole world watched, hid behind their sacrificial lamb as if the idea for the story was his and his alone. They're punks. They always have been.

No, expecting valid and factual information from reporters should not be too much to ask. but I would argue that it is naive in this day and age. We do so at our peril, especially when we look to a failing enterprise like the Herald. They're clearly desperate. Still, there's a few people out there that have demonstrated they can be trusted - Mike, Gasper, SMY, Doug Flynn, our own Chris Price, Karen Guregian, others - but in my life as a Pats fan, folks like this have been the exception and not the rule.

I understand people were angry but I really believe its time for everyone to move on. This is the best time of year for me, with football back and the Pats back at it, and I don't want to be stomping around pissed off over something that should be in our rear view by now.

We didn't come to football and the Pats because of any reporters, we came because we loved the game and the team. Yet when I see the comments section of any Tomase article, I have to wonder what it is that those people love. I think they love having something to be outraged and indignant about, far more than they love the team they purport to defend.

There is nothing more annoying to me than Pats fans wanting to lose this season, as if it will have any positive effect what so all on a Super Bowl championship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye