PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perfect season banner to hang in Foxboro

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather they didn't put this banner up.

Was the season special? definitely

...but you also want to forget about it like an old girlfriend. You don't want any momentos of old girlfriends because you can't reminisce on the good times without also thinking of her cheating on you (or at least an ugly ending).

I could not agree more.

Hanging a perfect season banner when you did not have one, is completely hokie!

The first time I can remember feeling embarrassed for Bob Kraft since his completely hammered 1996 AFC Championship Game speech calling Bill Parcells "the greatest coach in modern times"!

Oh yeah, and there was the time he accidentally gave away his Super Bowl ring to Vladi Putin!

The Patriots did have a perfect Season. The Superbowl takes place in the Post Season. ;)

After all is said and done, I will look at it and know it is a losers banner.

I feel, It simply does not belong, nor should it hang next to Championship banners.

If we played by the old NFL rules in which there were no Playoffs, the Patriots would be Champions due to having the best record. The league decided to halt this because all the great teams like the Packers were winning it every single year. Playoffs were instituted because they wanted to give a chance for the lesser teams to have a shot at glory, create more parity, if you will. That's all playoffs are, a chance for the scrubs to get one more shot at the elites in the league. And sometimes (Superbowls XXXVI & XXXXII for instance), the lesser team wins. The Giants beat the Patriots in one game that decided it all. Whereas the Patriots played an entire season to perfection, playing MULTIPLE games againse MULTIPLE elite teams and winning (and no, I don't consider the 07 Packers elite). The Giants won that one game that mattered most, but don't think for a minuet that the 07 Giants were better then the 07 Patriots, they merely had the best ending, which in any modern sport, matters most.
:rolleyes: the pats dont play in the old nfl. it doesnt matter who most people think was the better team. the giants won the sb and thats all that matters. i could give a rats ass who was the better team. all i cared about was who was holding the sb trophy and it wasnt the pats. its about winning on the field not being the best team on paper.

There's a difference between "legitimate champion" and "best team".

The Patriots were obviously the best team. However the Giants were the legitimate Champion.

On the banner, I would forget the AFC Champion stuff. And I would modify the banner to "16-0 Perfect Regular Season".
if the pats were better they should have won but they didnt. the best team wins the sb.

16-0 was a special season, but it's not the goal. I don't like the banner being put up there next to the Super Bowl championship banners, because it's not on the same level. Hopefully it does serve as motivation.

2008 is a season of unfinished business.

:rolleyes: the pats dont play in the old nfl. it doesnt matter who most people think was the better team. the giants won the sb and thats all that matters. i could give a rats ass who was the better team. all i cared about was who was holding the sb trophy and it wasnt the pats. its about winning on the field not being the best team on paper.

Then why say the Giants were the best team last year if you "don't give a rats ass"? I was making a point but if you don't wanna stick with your initial assertion then fine. Because I agree, all that matters is hoisting the trophy.

Last edited:
Then why say the Giants were the best team last year if you "don't give a rats ass"? I was making a point but if you don't wanna stick with your initial assertion then fine. Because I agree, all that matters is hoisting the trophy.
ill try and make it more clear. the giants were the best team because they won the sb period. that's the only stat that matters. i dont give a rats ass who people think the best team on paper is or what team had the best regular season record or what if this or what if that. that's all bull ****. if the pats were better then the giants last year they would be hoisting a sb banner not some second place regular season crap banner. the Celtics hoist championship banners . that's all the pats should hoist.

Considering that 16-0 has never been accomplished before, I think there should be a banner.

I don't want to see participation banners like the Colts for winning the division but going 16-0 is something different entirely. It is historic, it has never been done before (screw the fins, that was a 14 game season).

As painful as the SB was, I don't ever want to forget 2007, it was an incredible season. Going 16-0 was amazing and it should not be forgotten. Burying 2007 simply because the ending was too painful would be a sin.

The only banner that should be hung is a 19-0 right next to the Super Bowl banner. No Super Bowl banner, no season banner.

As previously suggested, put such a banner/notation/celebration in the Patriots Hall of Fame or inside the stadium somewhere. I find it a joke to celebrate it alongside Super Bowls.

The banners are in a Super Bowl context. The Super Bowl context of the 16-0season is a Super Bowl loss. A season context should be somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes