PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per ESPN: Josh McDaniels new HC of Broncos; Capers will follow

Status
Not open for further replies.
We ran the same 3-WR set with the same routes for maybe a third of our plays going back to the 07 season, most of my buddies could call where the ball was going before it was even snapped. It's true Brady can audible out, but he is more likely to adjust the protection than to repeatedly switch the play off, especially since the talent is so good that you can probably pull off the play even if the defense knows it's coming.

We ran the same 3-WR set with the same routes for maybe a third of our plays going back to the 07 season, most of my buddies could call where the ball was going before it was even snapped. It's true Brady can audible out, but he is more likely to adjust the protection than to repeatedly switch the play off, especially since the talent is so good that you can probably pull off the play even if the defense knows it's coming.

other than the SB was it productive or not ?? And i posted this in another thread, this offense ,defense and whatever is all designed and developed with BB's ideas . not that josh just came in and ran his way

Check this out

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/28/sports/ncaafootball/28spread.html
New England Patriots Coach Bill Belichick, fresh off his third Super Bowl title in four years, flew to Florida and spent four hours discussing and dissecting the offense in the film room with Meyer. He later dispatched his quarterbacks coach, Josh McDaniels, to Gainesville for two days to learn from Meyer and Dan Mullen, the Florida offensive coordinator, who was Meyer's quarterbacks coach at Bowling Green and Utah.

"Some of the concepts they have are good," Belichick said in a recent interview. "I think a couple of them complement something we do or could do."

At the end of Belichick's meeting with Meyer, he gave the system his blessing, the coaching Yoda approving the work of the young Jedi.

"He felt like it was fundamentally sound, that it wasn't a gimmick," Meyer said. "Coming from him, that's the ultimate compliment."

So if you dont like this offense then blame BB also for going this way not just josh .At least thats my opinion.

Yawn, McDaniels to the Broncos? Who cares? Let Brady call his own plays.

Bottom line: Super Bowls Won with McDaniels as OC? 0

Wake me up when BB leaves.

Bottom line: Super Bowls Won with McDaniels as OC? 0

Wake me up when BB leaves.

Yup. Our defense has been excellent the past 3 years and we have amazing offensive talent, yet have come up short every time.

Good luck McDaniels, I hope you stay at Denver a LONG time so we won't have to worry about facing the Broncos in a meaningful playoff game.

rofl, dumb move by the Broncos. He's not ready yet, he's going to fall flat on his face. I'm sure he'll make a great coach in a few years, but wow

I wish Josh the best (well, second-best) and thank him for his contributions to the Pats. Starting with the team when he was 6 and working is way up to OC at age 11 and becoming a head coach at 14 1/2 - it's unprecedented! Good for him, he should have a good, long career in front of him.

Re: Per ESPN: Josh McDaniels new HC of Broncos

Things just got a lot more interesting in New England.

Belichick gave McDaniels the highest possible recommendation to the Broncos. Either he's the nicest guy in the world when it comes to getting his coaches better jobs in the NFL, or he feels like he's losing his touch and Kraft was thinking it's time for new blood at the top--a coup with McDaniels taking over as HC.

What's the rush, Josh?

As itemized elsewhere, he's coming off one of the best streaks an OC has ever had. It's time to strike while the iron is hot, cliche cliche cliche.

Congrats to Josh, he will do well.. now PFT is reporting that he want the secondary coach from Philly, McDermott, as his d-coordinator...

Bummer. Wonder if Bill takes this over and brings someone into the role over the coming year.

The guy really didnt do anything inovative, he inherited some of the best talent in the league certainly the best QB of all time. And we still couldnt win a SB.

Sorry we need someone that will spend at least a bit of time on the running game, and its true as somone said eaerlier he did cost us the SuperBowl and anyone who watches our offense can can flat out call the same 8 playes we have been running fo the last few years.

Let get someone in that can revamp the run attack a bit, get the TE back involved.

I fell asleep early last night and woke up to hear the news of McDanials's departure...Good luck to Josh!! It was interesting that Burton had an old interview where he talks about his 8 years with teh Pats and how he started more working with the Defense..so in fact one coming up can learn it all. Really good luck Josh!! (except when playing the Pats of course..)
I think Box had a good findd..maybe O'Brien..

Interesting. A guy who was a TE and LONGSNAPPER is the Secondary Coach for the Eagles.... I would never have figured that...
Actually I thought the same thing for a bit until I looked at the bio...not the same person..He's been with the Eagles of 8 years..went to William and Mary..

Last edited:
I think Box had a good find..maybe O'Brien..

If you or anyone would also like to have a "good find", go to the Patriots.com home site, look at the coaching bios, and select those who may fit best as our new OC. For future reference, if we think there's a good chance the Pats will fill a coaching position in-house, these coaching bios are a no-brainer starting point.

Crennel's defense didn't have to deal with nearly as many injuries to the front 7 that Pees did.
In 03, Colvin broke his hip IR; Washington broke his leg was out for a bunch of hames...so wasn't Ted Johnson who broke a foot...I believe both returned after the Pats bye that tear...Also VVrabel missed 3 games with a broken arm. In 04 the only big injury was Seymour's knee and that was late in the year.

The guy really didnt do anything inovative, he inherited some of the best talent in the league certainly the best QB of all time. And we still couldnt win a SB.

Sorry we need someone that will spend at least a bit of time on the running game, and its true as somone said eaerlier he did cost us the SuperBowl and anyone who watches our offense can can flat out call the same 8 playes we have been running fo the last few years.

Let get someone in that can revamp the run attack a bit, get the TE back involved.

I have no problem with the #5 in total offense in the league or #6 in the league in rushing offense... sometimes it is perception.. 2008 was a pretty good O year.

Hear the criticism of McDaniels all the time, last year a record setting offense.. this year a team decimated with injuries and still #5 in total offense.. as I remember last year in the SB there was plenty of blame to go around, it was not all on McDaniels.. coaches coach, players play.

This is false and basically BS.. While they may line up in the same formation, there is 6 or 7 different passing plays and several different running plays depending on the read. There were numerous possibilities from each formation.

Also, there is such a thing as execution. If your team executes better, it doesn't matter if the other team is expecting it or not.

Yup. Our defense has been excellent the past 3 years and we have amazing offensive talent, yet have come up short every time.

Good luck McDaniels, I hope you stay at Denver a LONG time so we won't have to worry about facing the Broncos in a meaningful playoff game.

There have been issues on the offense and the defense over the last 3 years. Its not just one or the other, but a combination.

2006 - Lack of depth at LB and the quality of the WR corp
2007 - Lack of depth at LB, the O-line getting manhandled, and the playmakers not making the plays.
2008 - Injuries abound. Inexperience at LB. Inexperience and depth in the secondary.

But, according to YOU, it was JUST McDaniels... Take the horse blinders off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents