PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per ESPN: Josh McDaniels new HC of Broncos; Capers will follow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry we need someone that will spend at least a bit of time on the running game......

Let get someone in that can revamp the run attack a bit, get the TE back involved.

Dude? What team were you watching? The Patriots were #4 in rushing attempts and #6 in rushing yards, and had the most balanced attack in the game.

The guy really didnt do anything inovative, he inherited some of the best talent in the league certainly the best QB of all time. And we still couldnt win a SB.

Sorry we need someone that will spend at least a bit of time on the running game, and its true as somone said eaerlier he did cost us the SuperBowl and anyone who watches our offense can can flat out call the same 8 playes we have been running fo the last few years.

Let get someone in that can revamp the run attack a bit, get the TE back involved.

While it may be the same 8 formations (which it isn't), there are numerous different plays that the Pats can run out of each formation. And Brady is the one who has the final say on the play call based on what he reads at the line.

im kinda mad now that they let Shanahan go. Didnt he own Belicheck or something? Plus Belicheck always owns his former workers, so i am not glad of him being the new Head Coach because the Broncos are one of the few teams that know how to beat the Patriots...

I should start by offering congratulations to Josh. It's hard to know exactly how much credt to give him, but the Pats had a good O when scraping by with mediocre talent in 2006, a record-setting O in 2007, and overcame obstactles to have a pretty good O and team record rushing offense in 2008. He deserves a HC chance with that resume.

However, the more I think about the Denver HC job the worse it sounds:
* Although his specialty is offense he is going to have to keep the same offensive coaching staff and players that were there.
* Shanahan was also the GM so the whole scouting and player development part of the organization needs to be rebuilt.
* The Denver D is terrible and he's going to have to find new players and hope he learned something from BB on how to built on that side of the ball
* He's young and replacing a legend and therefore be challenged to control the locker room.
* He will be under considerable pressure to win now. He's not taking over a 4-12 team with low expectations--Denver was a tiebreaker short of the playoffs this year. He will be on a short leash.

Good luck, Josh!

Our rushing stats were compiled vs crap teams. We need to be able to run effectively against the SD's and Pittsburghs of the world and early in the game. Our goto running play was the shotgun draw.:rolleyes:

The guy really didnt do anything inovative, he inherited some of the best talent in the league certainly the best QB of all time. And we still couldnt win a SB.

Sorry we need someone that will spend at least a bit of time on the running game, and its true as somone said eaerlier he did cost us the SuperBowl and anyone who watches our offense can can flat out call the same 8 playes we have been running fo the last few years.

Other than Brady in 2006, name some the best talent in the league he inherited?

How long have Doug Gabriel, Jabar Gaffney Chad Johnson, Reche Caldwell, Kelvin Kight and Bam Childress been considered "some of the best talent in the league"? I ask because that was the team's receiving corps in 2006, along with a Troy Brown who was on his very last legs as an NFL player.

Last edited:
Well, I'm really disappointed to lose another coordinator.
I guess that's the price of a successful franchise.
Weis, Crennel, Mangini, McDaniels - four coordinators lost to head coaching positions elsewhere over the past couple years.

McDaniels did a great job here, obviously.
I think he has a good chance at being successful.

It's tough to be the guy replacing the legend, but McDaniels should be very solid.

Belichick was able to turn his back to the offense during games, secure that McDaniel was completely in charge, and spent the majority of his game time focused on the defense. That will have to change. Again.

Our rushing stats were compiled vs crap teams. We need to be able to run effectively against the SD's and Pittsburghs of the world and early in the game. Our goto running play was the shotgun draw.:rolleyes:

The Pats' goto play on a lot of games netted the Pats 7-8 YPC. Just because it was a draw from the shotgun, people act like it wasn't a real running play. It worked so well because it spread out the defense and left gapping holes up the middle. I see that play as a strength of the McDaniels' defense, not a weakness.

BTW, when the Pats played the Chargers, they were a crap defense. The Pats gave up on the run because the Pats got down by several TDs early. By the end of the the half, it was 17-3 and 27-3 by the end of the third. Besides, the Pats did have 106 rushing yards (4.1YPC) on 26 attempts. Those aren't great numbers, but not bad numbers as you sugguest.

Against the Steelers, the Pats had 122 rushing yards (6.1 YPC) and the only Patriots TD was a rushing TD. Again, your argument there failed too.

Re: Per ESPN: Josh McDaniels new HC of Broncos

I don't think the Pats will become an ineffective offense. I just think it could take a step back. There is a lot of room to drop from last year's offense and even the second half of this year's offense.

I'd share your concerns if it weren't for the fact that the system is in place and the personnel is there. Just look at that Gaffney tidbit in the Sunday globe, you have Moss watching film and coming up with plays for McD to implement week to week. Between Brady, Moss, Belichick, whoever takes over as OC (I'm assuming its within the organization), that's a lot of bright football minds.

I admire what McDaniels did this season w Cassel. He truly knows his X's and O's and I think his game planning has proven unmatched. On the flip side, I do not think he is a great in-game tactician like Weis was. I won't go into the Super Bowl, the loss can't be blamed on him, but let's just say it wasn't his best game either. So what's lost is a guy who crafts a great game plan - but all the pieces to continue to do that (the playbook, the bright offensive minds) all remain behind as he goes to Denver.

Last edited:
The Pats' goto play on a lot of games netted the Pats 7-8 YPC. Just because it was a draw from the shotgun, people act like it wasn't a real running play. It worked so well because it spread out the defense and left gapping holes up the middle. I see that play as a strength of the McDaniels' defense, not a weakness.

BTW, when the Pats played the Chargers, they were a crap defense. The Pats gave up on the run because the Pats got down by several TDs early. By the end of the the half, it was 17-3 and 27-3 by the end of the third. Besides, the Pats did have 106 rushing yards (4.1YPC) on 26 attempts. Those aren't great numbers, but not bad numbers as you sugguest.

Against the Steelers, the Pats had 122 rushing yards (6.1 YPC) and the only Patriots TD was a rushing TD. Again, your argument there failed too.

Yeah because we failed to establish the run early and padded our stats by running aforementioned shotgun draw when were we getting blown out.

Im not saying its a bad play but we need to lbe able to line up and ruin it at the best teams that was not what we did this year.

06 had nothing to do with Mcdaniels we won on Defense 07 and 08 were because we had moss and welker (some of the best offensive talent in the league as I previously pointed out)

Neither you nor I, nor the Herald, the Globe, ESPN, SI, Fox, and everyone else besides Brady, his doctor, and a handful of other people have any idea about that.

Moreover, none of us are going to have any idea until training camp or (even more likely) the next-to-last exhibiton game next August.

There is no reason for people in the know to leak truthful information, and based upon past history, they have not and they will not.

No one will know anything about how Brady is progressing until he

remains on PUP when the roster is cut to 53.

Good riddance Josh....you were under qualified in your position here in New England and should have been fired for the SB "Debacle". I expect you to do as well as Man-Genius and Romeo.

Yeah because we failed to establish the run early and padded our stats by running aforementioned shotgun draw when were we getting blown out.

Im not saying its a bad play but we need to lbe able to line up and ruin it at the best teams that was not what we did this year.

06 had nothing to do with Mcdaniels we won on Defense 07 and 08 were because we had moss and welker (some of the best offensive talent in the league as I previously pointed out)

9 of the Pats 20 rushing plays against the Steelers including a TD run were in the first half.

Besides, the Pats proved you can pass to set up the run. This team is made up to pass the ball and part of the year their lead RB was Ben Jarvus-Green Ellis. Other parts, it had a far less than 100% Sammy Morris running the ball. I think people are reaching for arguments.

Funny, when Weis was here the complaints were that he would give up on the run in the second half far too quickly. Now it is McDaniels didn't establish the run early.

For crying out loud, how many times does Belichick have to go on television and radio and explain to you people? Belichick doesn't want to bother pounding his head against a wall, and he's not going to waste lots of plays running into a defense that's excellent against the run. It's what BELICHICK wants. The Patriots have all but ignored the run against the best run defenses for years, and that's how BB wants it. Whether it's been against the Ravens, the Vikings or any other team playing great against the run, he prefers to use screens and draws rather than wasting downs getting stuffed at the line.

Last edited:

No one will know anything about how Brady is progressing until he

remains on PUP when the roster is cut to 53.

Except for everyone in the Chiefs and Broncos and FO. :D

Good riddance Josh....you were under qualified in your position here in New England and should have been fired for the SB "Debacle". I expect you to do as well as Man-Genius and Romeo.

*ROFLMAO* If you were going to fire someone, wouldn't you fire Scarnecchia since it was his job to get the O-line ready? Or how about the entire coaching staff since they all failed in prepping the team? Or maybe just letting guys like Samuel go. You know, the guy who wanted 9.3 million a year but failed to come up big and got burned by a junk WR by the name of David Tyree. Not once, but TWICE..

*ROFLMAO* If you were going to fire someone, wouldn't you fire Scarnecchia since it was his job to get the O-line ready? Or how about the entire coaching staff since they all failed in prepping the team? Or maybe just letting guys like Samuel go. You know, the guy who wanted 9.3 million a year but failed to come up big and got burned by a junk WR by the name of David Tyree. Not once, but TWICE..

OK...sure...I would have accepted resignations from all of them. I am not looking for an argument.

But come on, Josh McDaniels to replace Mike Shanahan? That would be like Microsoft replacing Bill Gates with George Bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes