PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per ESPN: Josh McDaniels new HC of Broncos; Capers will follow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't I? It's apparent that he'd lost his coaching fastball. Belichick has publicly lauded Shanahan, but it was definitely time for him to move on. Take away his 2005 aberration (unfair, but done to make a point), and his record from the 2001 season until his firing was just 61-51. That's not a "Hall of Fame coaching resume".

Josh is getting his opportunity because he has been brilliant as an offensive coordinator while serving under the best head coach in the NFL.

Will you do the same to Bill?

2006 Sets NFL record by blowing 18 point lead in AFCC
2007 Spy Gate
2007 Loses SB to #6 seed while being 14 favorite
2008 Cannot make playoffs with 11 wins

I would not do that to Bill they you are doing it to Mike.

LOL...you forgot to mention the Raiders went 12-4 in the year 2000 too. Does that make them still "PERENNIAL" contenders. I may not be a football genius like you but I can spell.

You are right, what good could 4 years of additional experience do for a guy?

I do not hate Josh. He is simply a PR move by the Broncos. Josh "Young and Fresh" McDaniels.

You can spell but you can't comprehend he was saying they were perennial contenders when Shany left and up until the last few years they were.

I am far more upset about the fact we lost Capers because that means Pees is still here. @$)&#%!!!!!!!!

If you have observed Bb's philosophy for each game its to do what works not bang our heard doing what doesnt . He even said before the steelers/seattle SB that you ahve to throw the ball to beat the steelers ,you cant run on them.Even with weiss in 2002season opener we called a million consuective pass plays.
And above all, we have beaten SD and Pitt. Is that more important or rushing stats ?
This is one of the reasons i despise these analysts who keep calling for andy reid's head in philadephoia for not running the ball. He is doing what works for them

Exactly the Pat's play situational football to insure a win.. for each game their is a game plan that plays to our strengths and the other teams weakness.. no sure why so many people on this board right now are spouting fables about this O and this D.. we are a very good team in all three aspects, there are some needs by the glass is 75% full.. it does not matter if we rush for 50 yards against Pitt and win.. it is all about the W's.. not style or anything else.

We need tweaking, but overall there is great depth and a whole lot of draft choices...

Last edited:
LOL...you forgot to mention the Raiders went 12-4 in the year 2000 too. Does that make them still "PERENNIAL" contenders. I may not be a football genius like you but I can spell.

You are right, what good could 4 years of additional experience do for a guy?

I do not hate Josh. He is simply a PR move by the Broncos. Josh "Young and Fresh" McDaniels.

Sorry, I don't spell check my posts. There is a big difference between mispelling a word on a message board and making incorrect statements about about 15 years of Raiders' history. The fact of the matter is the Raiders being the doormats of the league is a recent trend and the the Raiders went from 8-8 when Shanahan was fired to 12-4 the following year.

I do think it is funny that you trash McDaniels in a dozen posts by saying things like "Good riddance Josh....you were under qualified in your position here in New England and should have been fired for the SB "Debacle". " and "But come on, Josh McDaniels to replace Mike Shanahan? That would be like Microsoft replacing Bill Gates with George Bush." and then say you don't hate the guy. Don't insult my and others on this board's intelligence like others who say "I don't hate Josh" or "I think he is a good OC" and then go onto trash the guy in virtually every post. You hate the guy. Admit it.

Do McDaniels haters really think that if they qualify their posts in that they don't hate McDaniels or that they think he is a good OC and then proceed to trash the guy that others will really believe they are being objective and non-biased?

iam a little surprised that there is this much hate for Mcdaniels. If he were this bad, someone like brady or moss wouldve let it know i would think. Why do we always criticize players/coaches when they leave for better gigs in their life.I for one hopes McD does well except against the pats.He has worked hard to be here. And a lot of people think he is an offensive coahc only but BB's philosophy for his coaches is to work on all spots in the team and McD has rotated around quite a bit to know some defense.

There are only 2 basic options for coordinators to call: run or pass. This is true on both offense and defense. Therefore, people ignore the complexities of playcalling and don't think about the fact that each game plan has a list of 50+ different plays that will be called, because every run off tackle looks the same to them. It's why the complaints about coordinators are the same in almost every NFL city.

You can spell but you can't comprehend he was saying they were perennial contenders when Shany left and up until the last few years they were.

Your statement, like his, is incorrect. The two years before Mike took over the Raiders they were 8-8 in 1986 and 5-10 in 1987. Mike's year they went 8-8. The Raiders were on the decline before he showed up. One 12-4 season in 1990 does not make you a world beater. In 1991 they dropped to 9-7 followed by 7-9 in 1992.

Last edited:

2007 Spy Gate

Why would I do the "the same to Bill"?

1.) Unlike yourself, apparently, I can see the difference between winning 14 games and winning 7

2.) I'm not fool enough to think 39-9 over 3 years is a bad stretch or to hold not making the playoffs with 11 wins after the team lost the best quarterback in the game, during the first quarter of the first game of the season, against a coach.

Last edited:
iam a little surprised that there is this much hate for Mcdaniels. If he were this bad, someone like brady or moss wouldve let it know i would think. Why do we always criticize players/coaches when they leave for better gigs in their life.I for one hopes McD does well except against the pats.He has worked hard to be here. And a lot of people think he is an offensive coahc only but BB's philosophy for his coaches is to work on all spots in the team and McD has rotated around quite a bit to know some defense.

Actually, Brady loves the guy. In fact, he made a comment a year ago when McDaniels was a hot head coach candidate that if McDaniels left, so would he. Granted he was using a hyperbole, but the point was clear. Cassel has given him tons of credit for turning him into the QB he has become. He is definitely loved and respected by the Pats players.

As for the hate, the OC seems to get all the blame on this team whenever things go wrong. Weis did before him. It always seems the case. The defense can give up 35 points in the second half vs. the Colts in the AFC Championships and people aren't complaining how the Pats couldn't cover Dallas Clark even if they were allowed to play 14 players on defense, but how the offense blew it. I don't get why it is. I wonder if it is the same in other cities.

Your statement, like his, is incorrect. The two years before Mike took over the Raiders they were 8-8 in 1986 and 5-10 in 1987. Mike's year they went 8-8. The Raiders were on the decline before he showed up. One 12-4 season in 1990 does not make you a world beater. In 1991 they dropped to 9-7 followed by 7-9 in 1992.

They had a three year slump after their Super Bowl and playoff runs of the early 80s. I may have exaggerated a bit about being perennial contenders, but they were four years removed from winning their second Super Bowl in four years (third in eight years) when Shanahan took over and they went 12-4 the year after they left. Let's not make it out to be that the Raiders of today are the same Raiders in the 90s.

Sorry, I don't spell check my posts. There is a big difference between mispelling a word on a message board and making incorrect statements about about 15 years of Raiders' history. The fact of the matter is the Raiders being the doormats of the league is a recent trend and the the Raiders went from 8-8 when Shanahan was fired to 12-4 the following year.

I do think it is funny that you trash McDaniels in a dozen posts by saying things like "Good riddance Josh....you were under qualified in your position here in New England and should have been fired for the SB "Debacle". " and "But come on, Josh McDaniels to replace Mike Shanahan? That would be like Microsoft replacing Bill Gates with George Bush." and then say you don't hate the guy. Don't insult my and others on this board's intelligence like others who say "I don't hate Josh" or "I think he is a good OC" and then go onto trash the guy in virtually every post. You hate the guy. Admit it.

Do McDaniels haters really think that if they qualify their posts in that they don't hate McDaniels or that they think he is a good OC and then proceed to trash the guy that others will really believe they are being objective and non-biased?

I hate the Miami Dolphins. I truly do not hate Josh.

I do not think Josh was qualified to get the job in the first place. He was in charge of the highest scoring offense in NFL history(655 points including postseason) and only scored 14 points in SB .

Mike Shanahan was the offensive coordinator for the 2nd highest scoring team in NFL history (636 points including the postseason) and scored 49 points.

Also, why would you guys wish him luck in Denver anyways?

I do not think Josh was qualified to get the job in the first place. He was in charge of the highest scoring offense in NFL history(655 points including postseason) and only scored 14 points in SB .

Mike Shanahan was the offensive coordinator for the 2nd highest scoring team in NFL history (636 points including the postseason) and scored 49 points.

Let's give the Giants some credit. As they showed this season, their defense was no joke and they were without their two best pass rushers from last year in this season. Also, let's not forget the loss of Stephen Neal was big too. Add Brady's leg injury that people feel was bothering him more than he was letting on. Besides, you cannot compare people based on one game each.

I wish Josh luck personally, but not the Broncos. I hope he does well in his

I must have missed the plays where McDaniels was out there waving at Tuck as he blew past him.....

You do realize that your argument makes absolutely no sense at all, right?

2007 Spy Gate

You can do the same thing to any coach that doesn't win the Super Bowl. You could make the case that Belichick did an amazing coaching job during these years:

2006 Gets to AFCC game and 1 minute from SB despite playing 4th road game in 5 weeks...@JAX(8-6), @TEN(8-7), @SD(14-2), @IND(14-4)
2007 Gets to 18-0 and 1 minute from SB win despite historic pressure and distractions
2008 Gets to 11 wins despite losing MVP QB and multiple other starters to injury

I struggle to see where Belichick came up short in coaching during these seasons. They didn't reach the goal in any of them and Belichick gets his share of the blame...but certainly can't lump him in with Shanny during this time. The Broncos are a mess as an organization and Shanny rode them straight into the ground. He isn't a bad coach...he was just a terrible leader for that organization for the last few years. The Pats are still an elite organization and given the state of the playoffs this year, would you bet against the Pats playing in the SB next season?

OK...sure...I would have accepted resignations from all of them. I am not looking for an argument.

But come on, Josh McDaniels to replace Mike Shanahan? That would be like Microsoft replacing Bill Gates with George Bush.

Firing someone and accepting their resignations are two different things. Clearly you, like many McDaniels haters, have a propensity of ignoring reality and exaggerating what happens to the extreme in a vain attempt to prove your point.

The fact that you make a laughable attempt at a comparison between the Denver Broncos and Microsoft is amazing. First off, Bill Gates isn't the CEO of Microsoft. He hasn't been for awhile. Secondly, McDaniels is better than you give him credit for. Third, Shanahan hasn't done much since 1998. So, Pat Bowlen decided that there needed to be a change. And he followed the same template he followed when he hired Shanahan.

And how many people were bashing Kraft for hiring BB? Everyone thought Cleveland hiring RAC was a great move!
Cleveland hiring RAC was a great move. Cleveland hiring Savage is what wasn't. Savage = more ignorant than some of the posters on this board.

My guess to how Josh got the OC gig with the Pats is that he told Bill he would tell let everyone that in fact he is Bill's third son.

When all else fails, just slander the guy. Great idea there. And you wonder how Pats fans get a bad name?

Sorry. I'm calling BS on you man. This sort of garbage is for ignorant trolls. If you chose to be one, great. But be prepared for the consequences of your actions. It won't be pretty.

I agree with you that his past three seasons have been sub par and a change was due. But you cannot negate his hall of fame coaching resume.

I just think these teams are filling coaching vacancies now based on youth and beauty versus credentials. Why does it take guys like Romeo and Charlie over 25 years to get their chances and guys like Josh and Man-Genius get them so soon?

Filling coaching vacancies based on youth and beauty? Did you think that up all by yourself?

When did 8 years of experience in the NFL amount to "youth and beauty"? McDaniels, besides 3 years as the OC, has 5 years as the QB Coach. He clearly earned the respect of Belichick and Brady. Yet, you show your finite wisdom an claim that he doesn't have credentials?

Why does it take guys like Romeo and Weis time? Because every situation is different. I would think that ANYONE who has worked in the real world would understand that. There are a finite number of professional opportunities. Not to mention a finite number of windows in which a Coordinator may feel ready to go it on his own. Then you have the interview process. And maybe they didn't interview well. Who knows. YOU certainly don't. But you'd chalk it up to some imagined discrimination rather than any of the other possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back