PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per ESPN: Josh McDaniels new HC of Broncos; Capers will follow

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK...sure...I would have accepted resignations from all of them. I am not looking for an argument.

But come on, Josh McDaniels to replace Mike Shanahan? That would be like Microsoft replacing Bill Gates with George Bush.

You do realize that Shanahan came to the Broncos as a failed head coach of the Raiders and this was before Al Davis went completely insane? Besides, what has Shanahan done without John Elway? One playoff win in nearly a decade.

Besides, you don't give McDaniels nearly enough credit. He may not end up being a good Head Coach, but he was a good Offensive Coordinator.

OK...sure...I would have accepted resignations from all of them. I am not looking for an argument.

But come on, Josh McDaniels to replace Mike Shanahan? That would be like Microsoft replacing Bill Gates with George Bush.

And how many people were bashing Kraft for hiring BB? Everyone thought Cleveland hiring RAC was a great move!

Man it's starting to get ******ed with the revolving door at o-cord on this team. I would like to see them go after one of the fired but use to be o-cord guys, this promoting from within seems to always end up with two years of service then they leave for the money.

It's what BELICHICK wants. The Patriots have all but ignored the run against the best run defenses for years, and that's how BB wants it. Whether it's been against the Ravens, the Vikings or any other team playing great against the run, he prefers to use screens and draws rather than wasting downs getting stuffed at the line.

And, of course, most of the time, it actually works.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Minnesota counts itself among the many NFL franchises trying to copy the New England Patriots' plan for success. The Vikings learned on Monday night that they still have a lot of catching up to do.

Tom Brady beat Minnesota's relentless rushing defense by simply throwing over it for 372 yards and touchdowns to four different receivers, and the Patriots pounded the Vikings 31-7 to win their sixth straight regular-season road game.

Man it's starting to get ******ed with the revolving door at o-cord on this team. I would like to see them go after one of the fired but use to be o-cord guys, this promoting from within seems to always end up with two years of service then they leave for the money.

Revolving door? Seriously? The Pats have only had two OCs since Belichick arrived--Weis and McDaniels.

I could not disagree more - Of course the obvious alternative is that the team stinks and then none of our staff would be given interviews in the off season. I like our position, as long as Bill is the coach you can count on a decision being made (either in game planning or coaching moves) that is the best in the NFL.

Good luck to Josh! I didn't read the entire thread but it's interesting how a team who's got defensive problems chose an OC as HC:cool: We'll see who he gets as his DC though.

Denver's got issues; will it be too much for someone of Josh's experience or not.

JMO but the Pats will be ok without him as long as we've still got our essential pieces in place!

You do realize that Shanahan came to the Broncos as a failed head coach of the Raiders and this was before Al Davis went completely insane? Besides, what has Shanahan done without John Elway? One playoff win in nearly a decade.

Besides, you don't give McDaniels nearly enough credit. He may not end up being a good Head Coach, but he was a good Offensive Coordinator.

Mike had 13 years of college and NFL coaching before becoming the head coach of the Raiders. I do not fault anyone for not winning at Oakland.

My guess to how Josh got the OC gig with the Pats is that he told Bill he would tell let everyone that in fact he is Bill's third son.

Good luck to the lad. More importantly for us is who is to come in...

Like the previous poster, I can't claim to have read every post in this thread but...

Congratulations to Josh. I said a while back that I thought he'd only leave for a good HC opportunity. This is definitely a good opportunity. And taking a seasoned defensive expert like Capers with him is a smart first step.

Denver is 24-24 in the past 3 seasons. In those 3 seasons, that offense has finished ranked 17th, 21st and 16th in the NFL on offense. Furthermore, since Shanahan was the G.M., he can't blame anyone but himself for his team's struggles.

Our rushing stats were compiled vs crap teams. We need to be able to run effectively against the SD's and Pittsburghs of the world and early in the game. Our goto running play was the shotgun draw.:rolleyes:

If you have observed Bb's philosophy for each game its to do what works not bang our heard doing what doesnt . He even said before the steelers/seattle SB that you ahve to throw the ball to beat the steelers ,you cant run on them.Even with weiss in 2002season opener we called a million consuective pass plays.
And above all, we have beaten SD and Pitt. Is that more important or rushing stats ?
This is one of the reasons i despise these analysts who keep calling for andy reid's head in philadephoia for not running the ball. He is doing what works for them

Woody Paige of the Denver Post called him "McKid"

"Is McDaniels the answer? There will be questions for quite a while. This crucial decision must be absorbed, considered and critiqued for several days. The final analysis will not be made for several years. This we do know: McDaniels will become the first head coach of one of the four major professional teams in Denver to be carded at LoDo bars. He looks like a college student."
It's wait and see with McKid - The Denver Post

(Reiss sums up more Denver reaction LOL)

Mike had 13 years of college and NFL coaching before becoming the head coach of the Raiders. I do not fault anyone for not winning at Oakland.

My guess to how Josh got the OC gig with the Pats is that he told Bill he would tell let everyone that in fact he is Bill's third son.

First, Oakland was not the team they are now back in the early 90s. In fact, they were perenial contenders and went to the Super Bowl after Shanahan left. The year after Shanahan left, the Raiders went 12-4 and lost in the conference championships. By saying what you did about the Raiders shows how little you know about the history of football.

Also, Shanahan had only about 4 years more experience than McDaniels and about three years less experience at the pro level.

If McDaniels is Belichick's third son, maybe football smarts is a genetic thing.

Note to spacecrimes, this is what I meant by McDaniels haters.

Denver is 24-24 in the past 3 seasons. In those 3 seasons, that offense has finished ranked 17th, 21st and 16th in the NFL on offense. Furthermore, since Shanahan was the G.M., he can't blame anyone but himself for his team's struggles.

I agree with you that his past three seasons have been sub par and a change was due. But you cannot negate his hall of fame coaching resume.

I just think these teams are filling coaching vacancies now based on youth and beauty versus credentials. Why does it take guys like Romeo and Charlie over 25 years to get their chances and guys like Josh and Man-Genius get them so soon?

I agree with you that his past three seasons have been sub par and a change was due. But you cannot negate his hall of fame coaching resume.

I just think these teams are filling coaching vacancies now based on youth and beauty versus credentials. Why does it take guys like Romeo and Charlie over 25 years to get their chances and guys like Josh and Man-Genius get them so soon?

Again, Shanahan didn't have much more experience than McDaniels when he got his first gig. John Madden is a HOF coach and he started his career with the Raiders as head coach at 32. Don Shula got his first head coaching gig at 33. Mike Tomlin got his job with the Raiders at 34 and he is two games away from a Super Bowl ring. Let's not make it out to be a new phenomenon and that just because McDaniels is young and inexperienced that he is going to fail.

Why can't I? It's apparent that he'd lost his coaching fastball. Belichick has publicly lauded Shanahan, but it was definitely time for him to move on. Take away his 2005 aberration (unfair, but done to make a point), and his record from the 2001 season until his firing was just 61-51. That's not a "Hall of Fame coaching resume".

Josh is getting his opportunity because he has been brilliant as an offensive coordinator while serving under the best head coach in the NFL.

First, Oakland was not the team they are now back in the early 90s. In fact, they were perenial contenders and went to the Super Bowl after Shanahan left. The year after Shanahan left, the Raiders went 12-4 and lost in the conference championships. By saying what you did about the Raiders shows how little you know about the history of football.

Also, Shanahan had only about 4 years more experience than McDaniels and about three years less experience at the pro level.

If McDaniels is Belichick's third son, maybe football smarts is a genetic thing.

Note to spacecrimes, this is what I meant by McDaniels haters.

LOL...you forgot to mention the Raiders went 12-4 in the year 2000 too. Does that make them still "PERENNIAL" contenders. I may not be a football genius like you but I can spell.

You are right, what good could 4 years of additional experience do for a guy?

I do not hate Josh. He is simply a PR move by the Broncos. Josh "Young and Fresh" McDaniels.

Again, Shanahan didn't have much more experience than McDaniels when he got his first gig. John Madden is a HOF coach and he started his career with the Raiders as head coach at 32. Don Shula got his first head coaching gig at 33. Mike Tomlin got his job with the Raiders at 34 and he is two games away from a Super Bowl ring. Let's not make it out to be a new phenomenon and that just because McDaniels is young and inexperienced that he is going to fail.
iam a little surprised that there is this much hate for Mcdaniels. If he were this bad, someone like brady or moss wouldve let it know i would think. Why do we always criticize players/coaches when they leave for better gigs in their life.I for one hopes McD does well except against the pats.He has worked hard to be here. And a lot of people think he is an offensive coahc only but BB's philosophy for his coaches is to work on all spots in the team and McD has rotated around quite a bit to know some defense.

Woody Paige of the Denver Post called him "McKid"

"Is McDaniels the answer? There will be questions for quite a while. This crucial decision must be absorbed, considered and critiqued for several days. The final analysis will not be made for several years. This we do know: McDaniels will become the first head coach of one of the four major professional teams in Denver to be carded at LoDo bars. He looks like a college student."
It's wait and see with McKid - The Denver Post

(Reiss sums up more Denver reaction LOL)

Typical paige.Just because someone is old doesnt mean he is good and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back