PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per ESPN: Josh McDaniels new HC of Broncos; Capers will follow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Per ESPN: Josh McDaniels new HC of Broncos

I don't think the Pats will become an ineffective offense. I just think it could take a step back. There is a lot of room to drop from last year's offense and even the second half of this year's offense.

Josh is a bright youg coach but let's not put him in the hall of fame yet. The offense could have also taken a step back with Josh next yr.

Last edited:
Somewhere,Somehow NEM is having a HUGE party in Arizona and getting happy drunk as I type this

Yes. Its Pees fault that the defense lost numerous starters in 2006 and 2007 and 2008.. Its Pees fault that it took until 2008 for the Patriots front office to finally bring in some young linebackers to give the Patriots some depth at both the ILB and OLB positions.

Pees did the best he could with what he had. People who don't realize that are fooling themselves.

Crennel's defense had to deal with injuries as well. There is no doubt that RAC is a better defensive coach than Pees, no doubt whatsoever. Pees is a good coach just not as good as RAC.

iam now waiting for ESPN and ron borges to spin a story that how pissed BB is with mcdaniels leving him and how unhappy mcdaniels was etc etc just like the mangini exit even though BB has always said only +ve things about his people leaving and also said said good stuff when mangini left.

Josh is a bright youg coach but let's not put him in the hall of fame yet. The offense could have also taken a step back with Josh.

The offense was the most prolific in the history of the NFL. If that's a step back, I hope this team can take about 10 more of those in a row....;)

Hopefully he fares better than the other Belichick assistants.

Belichick has shown he has a succession plan and trains junior coaches to step up into the coordinator role. McDaniels served as coordinator for two seasons, and given the talk of head coach vacancies last year I have to believe Belichick had planned for this eventuality.

I did not see the Capers reference on ESPN. Is he supposed to go as defensive coordinator?

An article from 1 yr ago on BB's philosophy on assitant coaches: For Pats coaches, it's their minds over what some think matters

"The most important thing (in hiring assistants) is to identify what you are looking for," Belichick said. "I think if you know what you want, you have a better chance of finding it, rather than just taking a list of names and picking one out of there."

"He puts the onus on your shoulder to make sure you're prepared," said wide receivers coach Nick Caserio, who was a college teammate of McDaniels at John Carroll.

And for a young coach to sell himself to a meeting room full of professionals? Milloy's advice still holds.

"The most important thing is that as long as you go into the meeting and are prepared and have a plan and are honest with the players and are straightforward and just be yourself, whatever your personality might be," said Caserio. "And as long as you can give them the information they need to be successful on the field, I think in the end, that's what they're looking for.

"I think you just have to be confident in yourself and just make sure that you're prepared, because if you're (not) -- just up there speaking -- the players can see through that."

Get ready to read stories on McDaniels possible replacement that read like this one from when he was promoted:

Patriots.com News Blitz - 01/30/06

Michael Felger of the Boston Herald writes that in replacing three coordinators in the span of 11 months, Bill Belichick has kept his moves firmly in-house. His hires have either come from his cadre of young assistants (Eric Mangini, Josh McDaniels) or from within his extended coaching tree (Dean Pees). Long-trusted lieutenants Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennel - and now Mangini - are gone, but the playbooks are unchanged and Belichick’s scheme is intact. It’s been turnover without turmoil. The bad news for the Patriots is that Belichick’s approach has come at the expense of experience. In tabbing McDaniels to replace Weis as the primary play-caller last year and as the official offensive coordinator earlier this month, Belichick has turned to a 29-year-old with just two years of experience as a full-time positional assistant. In picking Pees to replace Mangini on defense, Belichick has gone with someone who has coached for 33 years, but for only two seasons in the NFL. McDaniels suffered some growing pains last year, as did Mangini. The Patriots can only hope that McDaniels is a fast learner and that Pees is a quick study.

Hopefully he fares better than the other Belichick assistants.

Belichick has shown he has a succession plan and trains junior coaches to step up into the coordinator role. McDaniels served as coordinator for two seasons, and given the talk of head coach vacancies last year I have to believe Belichick had planned for this eventuality.

I did not see the Capers reference on ESPN. Is he supposed to go as defensive coordinator?

Maybe Capers role will be that of Asst HC and mentor for the young and inexperienced McDaniels.

But this Pats fan is one happy camper right now. I think our chances for another Lombardi improved dramtically, and for that I am super-pleased.

I agree our chances to win the big one just improved DRAMATICALLY. McDaniels is an above average OC, but he consistently got stuffed in big games, because calling the same 10 plays over and over again eventually gets you stopped in the playoffs.

We will see a more chameleon type of offense in the future where our playing style capitalizes on the opponent's weaknesses week to week. Previously it was always 'we will telegraph our play and you still can't stop it', where Welker always got his catches and the same plays were called every single week.

I have a friend in Denver and he says this is not playing well there, they all wanted Spagnuolo.

Yes, I suspect that is the case.

This past week, the Post had a poll, with results published today, on who among the 6 candidates for Head Coach they preferred. Number one, of course, was Spags.

Who came in second?

"None of the above"!:confused:

I kid you not!!!:D

I agree our chances to win the big one just improved DRAMATICALLY. McDaniels is an above average OC, but he consistently got stuffed in big games, because calling the same 10 plays over and over again eventually gets you stopped in the playoffs.

We will see a more chameleon type of offense in the future where our playing style capitalizes on the opponent's weaknesses week to week. Previously it was always 'we will telegraph our play and you still can't stop it', where Welker always got his catches and the same plays were called every single week.

Well for that matter, those plays for welker worked mostly. And as much as mcdaniels can be criticized,its still BB's game plan and he oversees everything which is designed and planned for the week. the so called chameleon type offense which we might ahve seen with weiss and with mcdaniels in 2006 was again all bb's oversight. it isnt that mcdaniels did what he wanted and BB couldnt stop him
Yes he lost the big game in the superbowl no question about that but saying running the same 10 plays will get you stopped in the playoffs didnt stop us from getting to the SB and be 2 mins away from winning it. its not we have been knocked out in the 1st playoff game just because we ran 10 plays .
I know he has had his moments but i think he deserves some credit for managing an offense which was virtually unstoppable last yr

At best he is more of a Marino type of OC than a Montana, he has come up short.

The guy is a great OC, but the in-game play calls were his, not Belichick's. Belichick gives the overall direction but he isn't calling the specific plays during games.

I am looking forward to an OC who adapts week to week, rather than our offense the past two years, where it has been 'we've run the same play 1000 times, everyone knows what's coming and you still can't stop it (unless it's playoff time)'

Yes he lost the big game in the superbowl no question about that but saying running the same 10 plays will get you stopped in the playoffs didnt stop us from getting to the SB and be 2 mins away from winning it. its not we have been knocked out in the 1st playoff game just because we ran 10 plays .

We have maybe the best talent on offense ever, that's why we were able to get away with it. People said Norv Turner was a genius too as the Cowboy's dynasty OC, look at what he's done since. McDaniels is going to be the next Norv Turner.

The guy is a great OC, but the in-game play calls were his, not Belichick's. Belichick gives the overall direction but he isn't calling the specific plays during games.

I am looking forward to an OC who adapts week to week, rather than our offense the past two years, where it has been 'we've run the same play 1000 times, everyone knows what's coming and you still can't stop it (unless it's playoff time)'

sure .so you think BB doesnt give the direction before a game in 2 yrs to NOT run the same play 1000 times or maybe he did and mcdaniels just overruled him ?
Pats conciously moved from a chameleon offense to a spread offense in 2007. In fact i read newspaper articles where BB visited florida and then sent josh to go to florida and observe meyer and his coaching staff and offensive system. Everything Mcd has done since becoming a coach has all been instructed and coached by BB. Its not like we bought in mike martz and he ran his own offensive system of running the same play 1000 times. At least thats my 2 cents.
Mcdaniels playcalling can be frustrating but thats with most coaches in the league. We just dont follow many so its easy to say he sucks. he has had his moments and may not be HC material but he can run an offense at least in my opinion.

Crennel's defense had to deal with injuries as well. There is no doubt that RAC is a better defensive coach than Pees, no doubt whatsoever. Pees is a good coach just not as good as RAC.

Crennel's defense didn't have to deal with nearly as many injuries to the front 7 that Pees did. And, go back and look at 2006 as well. See what Pees did.

The 2006, 2007 and a lesser extent, 2008, had issues with LB depth. In 2006 and 2007, the Pats only had 5 LBers they were confident in. And in both years, they lost one of those components and were forced to stop the rotations they were using. The problem with 2008 is that the depth was mainly inexperienced.

Mcdaniels playcalling can be frustrating but thats with most coaches in the league. We just dont follow many so its easy to say he sucks. he has had his moments and may not be HC material but he can run an offense at least in my opinion.

He's a good OC, but with major flaws, and as a head coach there are also major question marks. I hope he succeeds and stays in Denver a LONG time though, because a McDaniels' coached team does not scare me at all in a playoff game against the Pats.

Actually, this isn't true. McDaniels sends in the play he wants, but BRADY is the one who has the final play call because Brady has the option to audible at the line based on his defensive read.

And contrary to what you've said, the Pats ran many different plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes