PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats work out Connor Barwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wasn't Matt Patricia there? Are the Pats convinced from the limited views they have of him standing up that he can play OLB?
The Pats know he's a project at OLB, he might prove to be an exceptional student and pick up enough to contribute by the end of the season, but for the most part he's going to be playing Special Teams on game day. Now if he can contribute as a TE, then he can do more to help the team as a rookie, while still working on his OLB skillset. Shawn Crable played no Special Teams and saw no OLB reps last season - he was a high 3rd round value (#69 initially, then BB got a trade offer from SD and took him later at #78). Barwin's TE potential may mean the difference between #23, #34, #47, or #58, that's why Waldron and not Patricia.

Clearly someone in the Pats war room is looking at Barwin's JUNIOR tapes.

Maybe Barwin's athletism and ST ability has intrigued BB. But it also says volumes that no defensive coaches were present.
Which volumes though?

Barwin won't be able to contribute right away.

I can't wait to see how Larry English performs at his pro day.

The open question is whether the patriots are willing to use a 2nd for a developmental project at OLB, after we used a 3rd last year on the same position, and are unlikely to get major production from either this year.

I have tried to put a good spin on having two developmental players, but I am not sure that it is the most reasonable use of resources.

The Pats know he's a project at OLB, he might prove to be an exceptional student and pick up enough to contribute by the end of the season, but for the most part he's going to be playing Special Teams on game day. Now if he can contribute as a TE, then he can do more to help the team as a rookie, while still working on his OLB skillset. Shawn Crable played no Special Teams and saw no OLB reps last season - he was a high 3rd round value (#69 initially, then BB got a trade offer from SD and took him later at #78). Barwin's TE potential may mean the difference between #23, #34, #47, or #58, that's why Waldron and not Patricia.

The open question is whether the patriots are willing to use a 2nd for a developmental project at OLB, after we used a 3rd last year on the same position, and are unlikely to get major production from either this year.

I have tried to put a good spin on having two developmental players, but I am not sure that it is the most reasonable use of resources.

Maybe after a year of watching Crable perform poorly on ST and given his lack of sand in the pants and chicken legs that prevent him from anchoring effectively or setting the edge, maybe the Pats are thinking of moving in a different direction at the spot.

Or maybe they are trying to light a fire under Crable. Motivating him to stay out of the trainer's room.

Anything could be brewing behind the scenes, but at the end of the day, I do not really consider Crable, Woods, Redd or Craig legitimate playmakers from the OLB spot.

Although in all fairness to Crable, with some added size, he might one day fill that role.

I agree with your characterization of the players we have. What I question is why that assessment leads you to draft another project, only this time in the second instead of the third.

I would think that someone like English, or even Sintim, would be ready faster than Barwin. Do you disagree? And, of course, this assumes that you want no part of Cushing or Matthews who may be boom or busts but are less of a project than Barwin. Do you disagree.

This does not even consider DE's like Ayers or Brown, but I think that they will both be gone early.

Maybe after a year of watching Crable perform poorly on ST and given his lack of sand in the pants and chicken legs that prevent him from anchoring effectively or setting the edge, maybe the Pats are thinking of moving in a different direction at the spot.

Or maybe they are trying to light a fire under Crable. Motivating him to stay out of the trainer's room.

Anything could be brewing behind the scenes, but at the end of the day, I do not really consider Crable, Woods, Redd or Craig legitimate playmakers from the OLB spot.

Although in all fairness to Crable, with some added size, he might one day fill that role.

I agree with your characterization of the players we have. What I question is why that assessment leads you to draft another project, only this time in the second instead of the third.

I would think that someone like English, or even Sintim, would be ready faster than Barwin. Do you disagree? And, of course, this assumes that you want no part of Cushing or Matthews who may be boom or busts but are less of a project than Barwin. Do you disagree.

This does not even consider DE's like Ayers or Brown, but I think that they will both be gone early.

For the same reason BB keeps drafting TE's. If at first you don't succeed, draft, draft again.

I am scared of drafting Barwin, English and Mathews, but I think all project long term better than Crable, if used correctly.

If I want a true pass rushing 3-4 OLB demon off the edge, I would try to trade up for Orakpo, since he is the closest this draft has to offer. But not of the same quality as a Ware or Merriman.

I think Sintim or Cushings could play in our defense, just not from day #1.

Not sure I see putting Clay III at ILB. Not exactly a run-stopper at 6-3, 240. Actually weighs 5 pounds less than Guyton.

On these pages, it seems as though many posters see a 3-4 ILB as a position rookies can just adapt to in a few months. I read names like Matthews, Barwin or Ayers and have them getting put in the middle. Didn't it take Bruschi about five years before he was taking reps there? :confused:

Yeah, it took forever for Mayo to adapt to 3-4 ILB (if that's the case, I wonder how amazing the 2008 DROY is going to perform next year). Matthews might not be perfect for a 3-4 ILB spot straight out of school, but honestly acting like every 3-4 ILB is going to take the same track as Bruschi did is a little asinine.

By the way, at 240 he weighs as much as David Harris and Bart Scott, the two projected starting ILBs for the Jets this season. People seem to think 250 is this magic weight, but if a guy is something special and weighs a little less than that he isn't going to be thrown to the trash.

That doesn't mean Matthews is the ideal pick at #23 or that the Patriots would take him, or that he'd project to ILB at all. It's that people poo-pooing the idea that he could potentially be projected to ILB don't have any idea whether the Patriots feel the same way, because despite all the arguments, smaller and less likely players have become ILBs in the 3-4.

Yeah, it took forever for Mayo to adapt to 3-4 ILB (if that's the case, I wonder how amazing the 2008 DROY is going to perform next year). Matthews might not be perfect for a 3-4 ILB spot straight out of school, but honestly acting like every 3-4 ILB is going to take the same track as Bruschi did is a little asinine.

By the way, at 240 he weighs as much as David Harris and Bart Scott, the two projected starting ILBs for the Jets this season. People seem to think 250 is this magic weight, but if a guy is something special and weighs a little less than that he isn't going to be thrown to the trash.

That doesn't mean Matthews is the ideal pick at #23 or that the Patriots would take him, or that he'd project to ILB at all. It's that people poo-pooing the idea that he could potentially be projected to ILB don't have any idea whether the Patriots feel the same way, because despite all the arguments, smaller and less likely players have become ILBs in the 3-4.

I don't pooh-pooh the idea of Matthews moving inside - I suggested it as a possibility weeks ago. The general concensus at that time was that it wasn't a likely move, but if the Pats thought it made sense I would be all for it. I agree with your point about his size being adequate, it's more a question of whether he has the mentality to take on the blockers which we crave in an SILB. I would have been quite happy with Bart Scott next to Mayo (minus the punk attitude).

This seems like quite a stretch to me. Why wouldn't the Patriots send the LB coach to evaluate Barwin's ability at OLB in a private setting as opposed to the TE coach evaluating his ability to contribute at TE this year? If the Patriots are interested in Barwin as an OLB, I can't imagine that they would prefer to find out more about his TE skills (for short term value while he learns OLB) than his ability to play OLB. I don't think a players abililty at an alternate position is going to make the difference when talking about a first or second round pick.

It's just my opinion, but the added value of an alternate position shouldn't apply to first and second round draft picks. I want the best OLB, not the best OLB who also can play TE on the goal line. I want the best CB, not the best CB who also will be our kick returner. When choosing in the 5th round taking an OLB that also can play TE over an OLB who has no position flexibility makes more sense.

This seems like quite a stretch to me. Why wouldn't the Patriots send the LB coach to evaluate Barwin's ability at OLB in a private setting as opposed to the TE coach evaluating his ability to contribute at TE this year? If the Patriots are interested in Barwin as an OLB, I can't imagine that they would prefer to find out more about his TE skills (for short term value while he learns OLB) than his ability to play OLB. I don't think a players abililty at an alternate position is going to make the difference when talking about a first or second round pick.

It's just my opinion, but the added value of an alternate position shouldn't apply to first and second round draft picks. I want the best OLB, not the best OLB who also can play TE on the goal line. I want the best CB, not the best CB who also will be our kick returner. When choosing in the 5th round taking an OLB that also can play TE over an OLB who has no position flexibility makes more sense.
Okay, NE is shopping for Barwin as a TE. Barwin is projected to the high second round by a majority of pundits & draftniks. Ben Watson was drafted at #32, David Thomas was drafted at #86, and NE just signed a veteran TE (#88 in 2002) at a little less than $3M/year...does BB take Barwin at #23, #34, or hope he lasts to #47?

Perhaps they've seen all they wanted to know from the film they have. They just want to confirm some tihngs about his tight end ability. Barwin IS a hybrid player after all. It is legitimate to want to know about all he has to offer.

Okay, NE is shopping for Barwin as a TE. Barwin is projected to the high second round by a majority of pundits & draftniks. Ben Watson was drafted at #32, David Thomas was drafted at #86, and NE just signed a veteran TE (#88 in 2002) at a little less than $3M/year...does BB take Barwin at #23, #34, or hope he lasts to #47?

You don't seriously think he will last to pick 47 do you? I think it's only 50/50 that he'll even make it to 34.

Last edited:
You don't seriously think he will last to pick 47 do you? I think it's only 50/50 that he'll even make it to 34.
Shhhhh...I wouldn't be surprised if he went in the Top 10, but some folks just love him for his TE skills.

One reason they work out these guys is that they set a pick # on them, like if he drops to 34 he's in the mix with fellas A & B and if he drops to 47 he's the prime pick. If you've charted out everything before draft day, it makes decision making simpler. Bill is an analytical guy.

One reason they work out these guys is that they set a pick # on them, like if he drops to 34 he's in the mix with fellas A & B and if he drops to 47 he's the prime pick. If you've charted out everything before draft day, it makes decision making simpler. Bill is an analytical guy.
Dang it, I knew I couldn't slip anything by you! :help:

Loading...00Connor Barwin0Connor Barwin Clear Chat History

9:51pmPaul
not that you know me or anything, since i live in the uk, but just to let you know that there are a lot of patriots fans who want to draft you this year, good luck wherever you end up, hopefully in NE

9:53pmConnor
haha thanks man

ne would be good

9:55pmPaul
you had much contact from foxboro, i heard about them apparently talking to you about if you could help out at TE on the Goalline like Vrabel used to

9:55pmConnor
yeah there te coach came and worked me out

9:56pmPaul
you got any teams that you would prefer to be drafted by?

9:59pmConnor
it doesnt matter at all to me

10:00pmPaul
if you're playing in the league, i guess thats all that matters. good luck anyway, i've got my fingers crossed that i hear your name at #23 in the draft

10:01pmConnor
haha yeah thatd be awesome

10:02pmPaul
anyway, take care, dont go getting injured before we draft you :)

10:02pmConnor
haha im staying healthy

10:02pmPaul
good luck anyway, i'm off nice to talk to a future probowler ;)

10:03pmConnor
haha thanks buddy

Here you are, a nugget, a private interview with Connor Barwin.

Who needs an entire Scouting Department when you have online contacts like I do.

This conversation took place a few minutes ago, sounds like a decent guy and takes time to talk to random strange people on the internet that aren't even in the same country as he is.

I'm taking requests.

Who do you want me to give a 10 minute interview where I act like a stalker and find out about players for you.

Clay Matthews?
Rey Maualuga? (Can be done pretty quickly)
Robert Ayers?

Any others?

I'm warming up to Barwin. I'm also impressed by his numbers at the combine. a few combine numbers:

40 yard: 4.66
vertical: 40.5" (wow)
broad jump: 10' 8"
3 cone: 6.87
20 yard shuttle: 4.18

Claw Matthews was right there too on these numbers. Sadly Barwin was not to be found on the top performers list on the bench press.

Patriots Daily had an interview with Barwin back on March 2nd:

With New England’s needs on defense, Cincinnati Bearcat Connor Barwin’s name has arisen as a prime candidate for outside linebacker in the Patriots’ 3-4 system. We owe thanks to his agent (Shawn Smith at XAM Sports) for arranging this exclusive interview, and thanks to Connor for taking the time to answer these questions.

Though this exchange got started before news hit of Mike Vrabel’s trade to Kansas City, the questions about him take on new relevance.

I'm warming up to Barwin. I'm also impressed by his numbers at the combine. a few combine numbers:

40 yard: 4.66
vertical: 40.5" (wow)
broad jump: 10' 8"
3 cone: 6.87
20 yard shuttle: 4.18

Claw Matthews was right there too on these numbers. Sadly Barwin was not to be found on the top performers list on the bench press.
The bench, like the 40, is overrated. The jumps and change of direction numbers, plus the 10 yd split, have more relevance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back