PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats work out Connor Barwin

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what you're saying is his Pro Day raised his stock because the new and real information is his commitment and work ethic, which might not have been in evidence before.

I just think that the mania here on this board tells me it might have been in evidence before that. And that maybe the folks here are quicker than some of the dullards in the media. (But that the coaches are already there).
Perhaps, but realize also that teams haven't got their boards set in stone yet, they are still gathering data which is primarily the Pro Days. The film is the foundation for the assessment, then there's All-Star workouts, the Combine, Pro Days, private workouts, stadium visits, medical reports...each plays it's part.

Some fans were finding Barwin back in November, some not until the Combine, but in reality the scouts weren't finding him much sooner. Their assessment on Barwin was more compressed due to the radical new data from the position change, so yes, that Pro Day offered valuable new data that could affect his grade up or down.

Last edited:
Hi all. This is my first post outside of the New Members Area but I've been reading the board for more than 6 months.

I've been following Connor Barwin closely since his name came on this forum and I continue to be intrigued as I see how he tested out at the Combine and his Pro Day.

I recently stumbled across a video on the NFL website where Mayock actually said if he were a GM, he'd look at Barwin more as a tight end and maybe take him in the second round. Search for the video "Hot off the Grill" (I can't post links yet I think). The video is about 2 weeks old (before Barwin's Pro Day) fwiw.

I really respect Mayock's opinion so maybe it is a good idea for New England to look at him as a TE. Watson and Thomas are in their final year. Barwin has good to great speed for his size and if he can learn to block effectively can be a great tight end.

Maybe we take him at #34 and keep him as a 3rd TE on the roster and also give him reps at OLB in TC. If he shows he can set the edge, defend the run and drop into coverage then OLB may be his thing. If not, we have at worst a backup TE and an above average ST.

Everyone raves about how high Barwin's ceiling is but given his versatility and production as a TE, it can be argued that his floor is pretty high as well. Good value at #34 - maybe even #23.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hi all. This is my first post outside of the New Members Area but I've been reading the board for more than 6 months.

I've been following Connor Barwin closely since his name came on this forum and I continue to be intrigued as I see how he tested out at the Combine and his Pro Day.

I recently stumbled across a video on the NFL website where Mayock actually said if he were a GM, he'd look at Barwin more as a tight end and maybe take him in the second round. Search for the video "Hot off the Grill" (I can't post links yet I think). The video is about 2 weeks old (before Barwin's Pro Day) fwiw.

I really respect Mayock's opinion so maybe it is a good idea for New England to look at him as a TE. Watson and Thomas are in their final year. Barwin has good to great speed for his size and if he can learn to block effectively can be a great tight end.

Maybe we take him at #34 and keep him as a 3rd TE on the roster and also give him reps at OLB in TC. If he shows he can set the edge, defend the run and drop into coverage then OLB may be his thing. If not, we have at worst a backup TE and an above average ST.

Everyone raves about how high Barwin's ceiling is but given his versatility and production as a TE, it can be argued that his floor is pretty high as well. Good value at #34 - maybe even #23.

Thoughts?
I've seen the segment with Mayock - you'll note BB had TE's coach Shane Waldron work Barwin out last week.

Last edited:
I've seen the segment with Mayock - you'll note BB had TE's coach Shane Waldron work Barwin out last week.

Yeah I did see that and when I saw the Mayock segment it made me wonder if the Pats maybe even value Barwin primarily at TE.

Where would Barwin fit among this year's class at TE?

After looking at lists of Top TEs (Mayock's and others), I think it'd be top 5... maybe even top 3 given how he tested out.

Yeah I did see that and when I saw the Mayock segment it made me wonder if the Pats maybe even value Barwin primarily at TE.

Where would Barwin fit among this year's class at TE?

After looking at lists of Top TEs (Mayock's and others), I think it'd be top 5... maybe even top 3 given how he tested out.
Pettigrew had 35 receptions/540 yds/4 TDs as a junior, the same year Barwin had 31/399/2. I couldn't say which offensive system was more TE friendly. Pettigrew is considered the better blocker and has a little more size to be more effective as a blocker, by the same token he's more limited as a receiver.

Jared Cook had 37/573/3 as a junior, he's a converted WR who has roughly the same measurables as Barwin, but isn't known for his blocking.

James Casey had 111/1329/13, he's even played some LB, but he's not going to be used as a traditional in-line TE.

Chase Coffman is recovering from injuries and is another who is an overgrown WR, and he's not as athletic as Barwin.

You can make a case for Barwin being at least a second round value as a TE. That's before you factor in his value on Special Teams and whether you would eventually move him to LB.

You can make a case for Barwin being at least a second round value as a TE. That's before you factor in his value on Special Teams and whether you would eventually move him to LB.

One nice thing about the Pats potentially drafting Barwin is that he would automatically fulfill the "need to draft a TE" rule. :D

Barwin has had private workouts for the New England Patriots, Seattle Seahawks, Miami Dolphins and the Denver Broncos. He’ll work out for the Bengals on April 14.

Barwin has taken an official visit to the Buffalo Bills and plans to meet with the Tennessee Titans, Jaguars and St. Louis Rams. He’s also expected to schedule visits with the Atlanta Falcons and the Kansas City Chiefs.

Not sure if this has been posted yet pretty interesting stuff he seems to be drawing a bigger crowd each day.

Not sure if this has been posted yet pretty interesting stuff he seems to be drawing a bigger crowd each day.

Of the posted teams, most would be picking after #34. I doubt St. Louis/KC/Seattle would take him at #2-4. Denver at #12 is a big stretch right now, unless his stock really soars in the next 4 weeks. The second pick for all of those teams is after #34. Miami picking at #25 would be the biggest threat of those teams listed so far if we were to pass on Barwin at #23 hoping he falls to #34. Of course, that excludes the very real possibility that someone trades up to get him in the late first round between #23 and #34.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft