PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats vs. Redskins post-game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
as bad as the defense was today, they did
1) get a strip sack fumble recvoery TD
2) held the redskins to 7 pts in the second half (i'm not sure how they pulled that off)
3) got a turnover to end the game

hopefully next week they don't get tebow-ed

I don't really get your points either.....nowhere did I say we need a "big strong, powerful WR"....not sure where u got that.....what we do need is someone that can stretch the field and open up more possibilities for the offense. We have no deep threat right now and down the line that will hurt us more. In regards to the running game chief, look at the stats and watch the playcalling. There is not much confidence in our running game. We will often have no success with several run attpts and then BOB almist compketely abandons the run...Like TB said in interview last week x"We need more balance, need to be able to run the ball more succesfully"....

There is so much fail in this post. I want to disassociate myself from these radical positions.

The OL is not getting destroyed. They are, however, not getting enough opportunities to implement an aggressive mentality. You do this by allowing them to go forward in the ground game. The smallest difference in the mentality of an O-lineman can have a huge effect when there is a need to pick up 1 or 2 yards. Simply being more faithful to the ground game will help reestablish this mind set.

The idea that we need a big physical WR is completely false. We have Gronk and Hernandez. These guys are big, physical and versatile. They can play inside and outside. The personnel that we currently have are perfect and I wouldn't change them at all. This is a precision offense. We are not like the Chargers who are going to say, "Hey, just go long, I'll chuck it up there and let's see what the hell happens." Anyone who holds on to these delusions needs to wake up. This isn't Madden, it is the Patriots system and, IMO, they have the perfect players to run it.

I just have to say, how can so many fans take a win and turn it into such a negative.
Even if someone figures out the magic formula to solve the defensive and offensive problems, its never going to change a thing.
You won the game, and though you had problems your boys went out there and did it.
You should be very proud to have 11 winning seasons, a brilliant coach, the best QB in the NFL, and a team that hasn't been posting in a Browns forum " hoping for the best" every year.
You are truly blessed, and I hope you all see that. In 2001 I can remember you winning most games by 3pts,lol. Maybe it wasn't pretty but you won.

Pats still have a shot at #1 seed. Your players are healthy, and apparently Brady has the same passion he did from day one:) lol, yeah I saw that video. But, you can beat anyone. I mean that.

I am happy you pulled that game off,it was my sleeper, and yeah some things need to be fixed but who doesn't . In the end all we can do as fans is believe in our team and support them. All we do here,and all we do on our forum is talk.
The boys play the game, not us, and sometimes its epic or not pretty. but when they win and pull out a hard one, they shouldn't be berated.
But, I really do believe in N.E.

Last edited:
Good teams win ugly games. Just remember that.

Yeah. Those teams have offenses almost as scary as the 2001 Rams.

Well if we had a defense that remotely resembled the 2001 Patriots, I don't think too many people here would be that worried.

Some observations:

1.) Either Brady was misreading or his receivers were misreading as a group.

2.) McCourty is really not a good player right now.

3.) Dear Lord, the safeties well and truly suck

4.) Lousy game for Brady in some ways, and he still put up 357 yards w/3 TDs :eek:

5.) Woodhead is still the team's best running back. Given his size, that's not a good thing.

6.) Tripplett (sp?) is widely considered the worst in the business. We say why, today.

7.) Gronk is reminding me of Brandon Jacobs in 2007 and 2008 w/the Giants. His size/speed/power combo can't be dealt with by opponents without making him the focal point of the entire defense.

8.) Ninko is still looking for his jock. Hell of a Juke by the Redskin on that play...

9.) Welker: 7 catches for 86 yards and a TD, and he's completely overshadowed by Gronk. That's the good news with the receivers.

10.) The bad news with the receivers: 18 of 22 completions went to Gronk/Welker/Hernandez, with no other receiver having more than one reception.

11.) The Patriots put up 34 points against the Redskins, yet it wouldn't have been enough if not for a penalty and a bobbled catch by Moss.

12.) Mesko had only 3 punts, and his average was not impressive, but there were no returns on the punts. All in all, it's a performance I'm happy to take from the Punter.

13.) Once they got past the jitters, the O-line got the job done against a D-line that has some pass rushing ability. Kudos to them, for continuing to get it done despite all the injuries and personnel changes.

There's more, but that seems like a pretty good start. One more win for the Division title.

Shouldn't you have blown yourself at this point? There are 72 very disappointed virgins right now.

I hope you get banned, you racist scumbag. If the mods allow this it'd be a real travesty.

The irony is that muslimman is a fan of something so quintessentially American - football - and we have an intolerant xenophobe like NEGoldenAge being hostile to him.

Good teams win ugly games. Just remember that.

Ugly wins by Green Bay this season:

- week 2 at Carolina, in Newton's 2nd NFL start. Pack wins by 7, 30-23.

- week 7 at Minnesota. Pack wins by 6, 33-27 against a bad Vikings team.

- week 13 at NYG. Pack wins by 3, 38-35 with a last-minute drive.

The point is that they won those games, even though they didn't really put in a great game. The Pats won't always pummel people. I'd rather win ugly than lose ugly.

I hope you get banned, you racist scumbag. If the mods allow this it'd be a real travesty.

The irony is that muslimman is a fan of something so quintessentially American - football - and we have an intolerant xenophobe like NEGoldenAge being hostile to him.

It has been dealt with, and there were numerous complaints. No need for anyone else to quote this stupid and inappropriate remark and keep it going.

Last edited:
I just watched Ty Law and Troy Brown comment on the 3 Personal fouls calls.

They both agreed that the ones on Carter and Fletcher were bad calls. They were split on the Vince call. I still think it was a bad call.

The point is that they won those games, even though they didn't really put in a great game. The Pats won't always pummel people. I'd rather win ugly than lose ugly.
GB has the personnel to step it up when they have to, they have the same team as last year. And they have an OC that knows what hes doing. Come playoff time i think they're Defense will buckle down and play much better. The Pats on the other hand simply don't have the players on defense to do the same. I think Last years secondary would give the team a better chance to win than this one.

They both agreed that the ones on Carter and Fletcher were bad calls. They were split on the Vince call. I still think it was a bad call.

Vince's foul was terrible. He isn't that nimble and thought it was an awkward fall. Was at the game so couldn't hear the explanation for a foul. Was it because he led with his forearm? Like I said he isn't that agile, and just fell to get contact.

Here's the key item you seem to be missing...

Losses by Green Bay this season:

GB has the personnel to step it up when they have to, they have the same team as last year. And they have an OC that knows what hes doing. Come playoff time i think they're Defense will buckle down and play much better. The Pats on the other hand simply don't have the players on defense to do the same. I think Last years secondary would give the team a better chance to win than this one.

I don't disagree...I think GB is better than NE. I just wanted to point out that even the best team in the league has had some "ugly" wins this year. Everyone has them. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

I agree with O'brien. :) Brady did not have his head in the game on the interception. Brady just needed to throw the ball out of bounds and let Gostkowski kick a field goal. The decision by Brady was awful. Obviously, we all understand Brady's frustration, but a 10 point lead would have been important.

Don't you feel good that we have a QB that only makes bonehead throws like that once every 3 seasons? :)

I have to say I thought the one on Vince was going to be flagged as soon as it happened. You can see he made a last-second decision to get the forearm in there on a guy who was already down. It's a tough thing with football: These guys are coached from day one to be tough as they can be, and learning when to turn that off in a split second has to be very hard.

On Carter and Fletcher penalties: I thought the one on Carter was the worse call, but the one on Fletcher was wrong too. That said, which one do you think will get analyzed and hyped all week on NFLN and other national Sports shows?

I don't really get your points either.....nowhere did I say we need a "big strong, powerful WR"....not sure where u got that.....what we do need is someone that can stretch the field and open up more possibilities for the offense. We have no deep threat right now and down the line that will hurt us more. In regards to the running game chief, look at the stats and watch the playcalling. There is not much confidence in our running game. We will often have no success with several run attpts and then BOB almist compketely abandons the run...Like TB said in interview last week x"We need more balance, need to be able to run the ball more succesfully"....

You made my point for me.. or at least tried to. Several is a definite exaggeration. We hit a few ground attempts, get stuffed a few times, then we go away from the run for whole series at a time. The nature of the run game is that sometimes it goes for no gain. That doesn't mean the o-line sucks. Give them a few more chances in the same game before drawing conclusions.

There has to be enough attempts to gain momentum. Its so hard to go from pass blocking many times in a row and then throw in one or two runs. There is no tempo and consistency with it.

Now, I understand that we have a once in a generation QB. It wouldn't make sense to be a ground and pound team. It doesn't even make sense to be 50-50. But today, as another poster pointed out, we were 37-20 (And if you count Brady's run plays as pass attempts, we were 41-16). Not only does that limit an offense but it impacts the offense line negatively.

I love value draft picks.....

I just have to say, how can so many fans take a win and turn it into such a negative.
Even if someone figures out the magic formula to solve the defensive and offensive problems, its never going to change a thing.
You won the game, and though you had problems your boys went out there and did it.
You should be very proud to have 11 winning seasons, a brilliant coach, the best QB in the NFL, and a team that hasn't been posting in a Browns forum " hoping for the best" every year.
You are truly blessed, and I hope you all see that. In 2001 I can remember you winning most games by 3pts,lol. Maybe it wasn't pretty but you won.

Pats still have a shot at #1 seed. Your players are healthy, and apparently Brady has the same passion he did from day one:) lol, yeah I saw that video. But, you can beat anyone. I mean that.

I am happy you pulled that game off,it was my sleeper, and yeah some things need to be fixed but who doesn't . In the end all we can do as fans is believe in our team and support them. All we do here,and all we do on our forum is talk.
The boys play the game, not us, and sometimes its epic or not pretty. but when they win and pull out a hard one, they shouldn't be berated.
But, I really do believe in N.E.

Thank you for posting this, pherein. Its easy to forget life pre-2001 when a win alone would be cause for celebration. Speaking for myself, I think I do often emphasize only the negative and treat a victory as a given.

I think some of that is due to the post game demeanor of Belichick and Brady, who almost always come to the podium and make a brief comment in passing about being happy to beat a good team, but then proceed to discussing all the mistakes and necessary corrections. Just like the coach and QB, I expect to win and want to find and discuss any chinks in the armor before they are exposed. Humble pie, its the Patriot Way.

I also think that recent playoff losses have me wondering if the team has done enough to address the reasons for those losses. This team is going to be measured by its fans and by the greater NFL community by what it does in January, not during the regular season. Maybe I'm guilty of looking ahead, but the Brady/BB dynasty isn't going to last forever and I think we should get as many Lombardi's as possible out of this era.

I, and maybe others, are critical only because we so badly want to win, but at the same time could learn something about not taking victories for granted.

I am lucky to be a fan of such a great franchise.

No refs can make our defense or running game look any good.

110md.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes