PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign RB Lex Hilliard

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know im coming off as a big woodhead nut, but honestly the guy is so freaking underrated hes a match up nightmare for teams, about his blocking sure he isnt the biggest but neither was faulk. and he has proven he doesnt shrink he played good in the superbowl 4-42 yards 10.5avg 19-long 1td not bad

A lot of posters want him off the team for some bizarre reason, maybe he doesn't look the part, I don't know. Yet somehow Vereen is described as dynamic and explosive as he runs a yard into a defender and falls down. On top of that Vereen can't block, so yeah let's get rid of the one and only guy on the team who has produced as a 3rd down back. Brilliant.

A lot of posters want him off the team for some bizarre reason, maybe he doesn't look the part, I don't know. Yet somehow Vereen is described as dynamic and explosive as he runs a yard into a defender and falls down. On top of that Vereen can't block, so yeah let's get rid of the one and only guy on the team who has produced as a 3rd down back. Brilliant.

No one in this thread suggested getting rid of Woodhead.

Also no one has seen Shane Vereen play any meaningful downs in the Pats passing attack to say if he can or can't block. I know Vereen led all RB's in his draft class, with the most bench press reps. He's very strong, so right off the bat, he has something that Woodhead doesn't (The strength to hold up). Woodhead gets run over. He'll stick his nose in their and put his body on the line, but he's just not a good blocker.

I was just speculating as why the pats would add Hilliard, and the only thing I could think of is our current roster of RB's aren't good or aren't proven that they can pass protect.

No one in this thread suggested getting rid of Woodhead.

Also no one has seen Shane Vereen play any meaningful downs in the Pats passing attack to say if he can or can't block. I know Vereen led all RB's in his draft class, with the most bench press reps. He's very strong, so right off the bat, he has something that Woodhead doesn't (The strength to hold up). Woodhead gets run over. He'll stick his nose in their and put his body on the line, but he's just not a good blocker.

I was just speculating as why the pats would add Hilliard, and the only thing I could think of is our current roster of RB's aren't good or aren't proven that they can pass protect.

You said Woodhead is obviously the worst blocker, which is a false statement. Bench strength doesn't mean as much as technique and awareness.

Last edited:
You said Woodhead is obviously the worst blocker, which is a false statement. Bench strength doesn't mean as much as technique and awareness.
Agreed, which is why I said NO ONE has had enough time to evaluate Vereen to see his technique and awareness. Woodhead on the other hand has awareness and smarts, not sure how good or bad his technique is, but he continues to be a liability in pass protection, by getting run over by LB's. You can watch the tape on Woodhead and see that, there is no NFL tape to suggest Vereen can or cannot pass protect adequately.

Agreed, which is why I said NO ONE has had enough time to evaluate Vereen to see his technique and awareness. Woodhead on the other hand has awareness and smarts, not sure how good or bad his technique is, but he continues to be a liability in pass protection, by getting run over by LB's. You can watch the tape on Woodhead and see that, there is no NFL tape to suggest Vereen can or cannot pass protect adequately.

I assume you mean that, if you ignore plays such as the one where Vereen all but whiffed on a rusher and nearly got Brady killed, "there is no NFL tape to suggest Vereen can or cannot pass protect adequately."

Here's the thing: this isn't new for Vereen. PFW was pointing it out when evaluating him for the draft:

Too often whiffs in pass protection.

ProFootballWeekly.com - Patriots No. 3 pick scouting report: RB Shane Vereen, California

And Vereen has known about his pass protection issues from the beginning:

Improve the most in one area?
I think the area that I most need to improve in is my pass-protection technique.

I assume you mean that, if you ignore plays such as the one where Vereen all but whiffed on a rusher and nearly got Brady killed, "there is no NFL tape to suggest Vereen can or cannot pass protect adequately."

Here's the thing: this isn't new for Vereen. PFW was pointing it out when evaluating him for the draft:

ProFootballWeekly.com - Patriots No. 3 pick scouting report: RB Shane Vereen, California

And Vereen has known about his pass protection issues from the beginning:

Go back and reading Brady's college scouting report. I don't put much stalk into those reports. Thats why I'm reserving my judgement on Vereen as a pass blocker until I have a chance to see him for myself. He only played a handful of snaps last year.

Got any links to support Armchair's claim that Woodhead is a good blocker?

You've gone from Woodhead being "obviously the worst" to NO ONE has had enough time to evaluate Vereen. There was talk last year that one of the reasons Vereen couldn't get on the field last year was his blocking in pass protection. Woodhead blocks well enough for BB to trust him in that role.

Go back and reading Brady's college scouting report. I don't put much stalk into those reports. Thats why I'm reserving my judgement on Vereen as a pass blocker until I have a chance to see him for myself. He only played a handful of snaps last year.

The kid said it himself. Are you saying that he's lying about his own weaknesses as a RB?

Last edited:

Just came across this. One man's opinion but he does have NFL scouting experience. Listed as strengths or limitations.

Quick-hit evaluations of RBs - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Ridley - Limitation: Can improve as pass blocker and in blitz recognition.
Vereen - Limitation: Can be better in protection.
Woodhead - Strength: Understands blitz pick-up and pass protection responsibilities very well.
Bolden - Strength - Showed some ability to take on blitzers as a pass protector.

This guy is so gonna get cut by next week.

So what's wrong with getting $5k or so to come here and workout, grab a few lobsters and shag some local talent?

Speaking of Vereen... He and Shiancoe remain out of practice today. I don't think Woodhead is on the bubble. Meanwhile it's possibly a tossup for the in season IR designation between Vereen and Shiancoe. Since players have been added in the absence of each.

You've gone from Woodhead being "obviously the worst" to NO ONE has had enough time to evaluate Vereen. There was talk last year that one of the reasons Vereen couldn't get on the field last year was his blocking in pass protection. Woodhead blocks well enough for BB to trust him in that role.
I haven't changed my stance, that was my original statement that from the begining...

what we know...

Ridley needs work

Woodhead gets run over (and yes is the worst) I agree with the report that he understands blitz pickups very well as i mentioned earlier, he just can't stay upright.

And I haven't seen enough from Vereen or Bolden to say either way. Most rookie RB's have issues picking up blitzes in the pro game, so it's no surprize that it's been listed as a weakness. I just prefer to see him with my own eyes.

My original statement was the whole group was lacking at picking up the blitz, and maybe thats why they picked up Hilliard.

But we'll just have to agree to disagree on Woodhead's blocking ability. I once was a believer that he could hold up until seeing him get run over last year.

I haven't changed my stance, that was my original statement that from the begining...

what we know...

Ridley needs work

Woodhead gets run over (and yes is the worst) I agree with the report that he understands blitz pickups very well as i mentioned earlier, he just can't stay upright.

And I haven't seen enough from Vereen or Bolden to say either way. Most rookie RB's have issues picking up blitzes in the pro game, so it's no surprize that it's been listed as a weakness. I just prefer to see him with my own eyes.

My original statement was the whole group was lacking at picking up the blitz, and maybe thats why they picked up Hilliard.

But we'll just have to agree to disagree on Woodhead's blocking ability. I once was a believer that he could hold up until seeing him get run over last year.

You're entitled to believe what you want to believe. I can believe an apple is an orange but that doesn't make it one.

what we know...

Ridley needs work

You also know that calling someone the worst while at the same time fully admitting that you haven't seen enough from two of the other players to know how good they are. How do you know he's worse than them then?

Last edited:
You also know that calling someone the worst while at the same time fully admitting that you haven't seen enough from two of the other players to know how good they are. How do you know he's worse than them then?
I was seperating the known, from the unkown. My overall point was the RB's we have are weak at pass protection and the other ones haven't proven anything in this league.

Also with regards to Woodhead being the worst, I'm not just talking going into this year, I'm talking about every year he's been on the roster.

I'm just guessing that maybe Hilliard is the best pass protecting RB on the roster. Woodhead is obviously the worst..

No one has seen Shane Vereen play any meaningful downs in the Pats passing attack to say if he can or can't block.

what we know...

Ridley needs work.

And I haven't seen enough from Vereen or Bolden to say either way.

Also with regards to Woodhead being the worst, I'm not just talking going into this year, I'm talking about every year he's been on the roster.

Ok, black is white, up is down and Woodhead is the worst blocker even though he understands blitz pickups very well, Ridley needs works, you haven't seen enough from either Vereen or Bolden to say either way and you've somehow decided Hilliard is the best.

You were once a believer in Woodhead's blocking ability until seeing him get run over last year but he then retroactively becomes the worst since he's been here.

Um.... OK

Better put in one of the unknowns, unknowns are better than worst, right? Or better yet, put in the best, Hilliard is the best right? Seen him play a lot? He's been here an half an hour. Oh hell, maybe just put in the guy he needs work. Anybody but the guy who the team has put in on passing downs the last two years. He's the worst.

I was seperating the known, from the unkown. My overall point was the RB's we have are weak at pass protection and the other ones haven't proven anything in this league.

You sit here and tell us that Woodhead is the worst, he has been the third down back for two years! did brady get killed? BB had saw enough to let Bennie leave. you hate on woodhead for his size, and that is the most stupidest argument. its like the expression its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog. it implies to woodhead all his life he has been proven doubters wrong. Its time to give credit where credit is due the dude is a great third down back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft