PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Wallace = target for Pats deep threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why settle for a Chicken MacNugget when you can have a Big Mack? WR is too rich in 2012 to miss out even if we resign Welker. They are alot of young WR's going into their primes who will be available. I just cannot see us sigining Welker only and call it a Rap. Imo Ocho Stinko = Gone! Branch = Gone. WR is a NEED and knowing it's a desperate NEED...you just don't fill it with jags. Cannot wait for BB's decision on this. I think we are going to surprised by the quality.:cool: We had very good pass Offense in 2011 but it wasn't Great. Before Gronk's injury we were struggling against the Ravens one of the better Defenses. Both Greenbay and the Saints sport Elite Offenses who can beat you from anywhere on the Field...our Offense wasn't that dangerous...hence the need on the outsides.

The problem is the salary cap and the committing so much money to 2 WRs, knowing that (a) your defense is bad, and (b) Gronk and Hernandez will be up for contract in 2 years (or even less). Those 3 guys are Brady's top 3 targets, which leaves minimal opportunities for everyone else.

So the real question is - how much money do you want to pay for a guy like Wallace, knowing that he will take targets away from Gronk, Welker, and Hernandez. Personally, I don't want to pay much at all. So my proposal - get rid of Ocho Stinko, like you said. Bring back Branch in Ocho's role, at minimal salary. Get an outside WR who will be a slight upgrade over Branch. I'd love to get Lloyd, but if his price goes too high, I'll be happy with Meachem or Robinson and put the money into the defense. And to wrap up the WR/TE set, draft a WR on day 2 and get a legit backup TE for Gronk (probably via FA).

What am I flipping? I just pointed out the only one actually trolling is you. No need to get into a rage because you fail to see that. Fact is, you've been trolling.

I'm not in any kind of rage. I'm merely pointing out that you're trolling. What's funny is that you're trolling and trying to engage me in an argument about trolling, while claiming you're not trolling.

I'm not in any kind of rage. I'm merely pointing out that you're trolling. What's funny is that you're trolling and trying to engage me in an argument about trolling, while claiming you're not trolling.

Actually I'm not trolling. Timeline of events:

Dues calls MSU a troll.
MSU points out a fact that it is clearly Dues who is trolling.
Dues calls MSU a troll.
The cycle continues.
Keep trollin' in denial buddy. Maybe one day you'll realize what is happening.

Wallace comments on the situation:

“[Pittsburgh is] where I would like to be, but we all know that it is a business and you have certain things you have to handle,” Wallace said, via the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “So if I have to go elsewhere, you know Pittsburgh will always be in my heart, but I have to do what I have to do.”...

...“Yeah, we are talking, but I don`t know how far they are going to get right now because of the situation,” Wallace said. “I know that they are working hard trying to take care of it, but I don`t know. We’ll see.”

Mike Wallace: I want to stay in Pittsburgh, but it’s a business | ProFootballTalk

Actually I'm not trolling. Timeline of events:

Dues calls MSU a troll.
MSU points out a fact that it is clearly Dues who is trolling.
Dues calls MSU a troll.
The cycle continues.
Keep trollin' in denial buddy. Maybe one day you'll realize what is happening.
Only explanation: trolls trolling trolls.

Last edited:
Mike wallace is a troll

Last edited:
Only explanation: trolls trolling trolls.

Careful, now... under MSU's interpretation of the definition, you're trolling.

It's wrong to look at Wallace as simply a deep threat. He's also a guy that can catch a short pass, make 1 guy miss, and then turn on the jets and take it down the field. He's a game changer.

Wonder where this game changer was the last 9 games of the 2011 regular season when he collected 36 catches for 463 for 12.8avg playing against such vaunted pass defenses as
1. Patriots
2. Ravens
3. Bengals (2)
4. Cleveland (2)
5. Rams
6. Chiefs
7. 49ers

and could not crack 100 yards - toppin out at 82 yards and next against the Pats at 70 yards. Only the Ravens or 49ers could be viewed as challenging pass defenses

His 2 biggest yardage games all last year were in a 24-0 blowout against a Seahawks team, and the biggest yardage gainer against a pathetic Colts team.

This is no game changer WR. He is a good WR and very inconsistent. Heck this supposed game changer was not even the best WR on his OWN team in 2011

Last edited:
Steelers Mike Wallace Says He's Interested In Playing For 49ers And Patriots - SB Nation Pittsburgh

"Most definitely. Those are two playoff-caliber teams. Super Bowl-caliber teams," Wallace said on Sirius NFL radio about the prospect of playing for the San Francisco 49ers or New England Patriots. "I think that the right person or the right piece for those guys could put them over the top. All they need is one more piece ... most definitely, those are Super Bowl-contending teams."

That's it. Those inbreds in Poopsburgh are now going to want to run him out of town.

That's it. Those inbreds in Poopsburgh are now going to want to run him out of town.

I prefer the term "Sh!tsburgh," Don..

As in, the Sh!tsburgh Steelers.

This is an admittedly pro-Wallace article, as if written by the agent, but none the less, there are some good tidbits.

"No active receiver has put together a more impressive résumé during his first three seasons as a pro than has Mike Wallace....He's scored 24 touchdowns in his first three seasons, more than any other receiver in football besides Braylon Edwards....Among active wideouts, Wallace's 3,206 receiving yards are the second-most accrued during a player's first three seasons, behind only Anquan Boldin....Only two receivers in the past 30 years have gained more receiving yards and scored more touchdowns during their first three years than Wallace, and they make for pretty good company: Randy Moss and Jerry Rice......."

He's never been hurt and has seen his stats suffer while Ben was either less effective due to injury or out due to his Rapes or injuries.

Free Agent Preview: Mike Wallace - The Triangle Blog - Grantland

Written by the sites senior fantasy analyst... Another windows advocate...

As much as New England fans may hate to admit it, their team’s window for winning another Super Bowl is rapidly closing. Tom Brady turns 35-years-old in August and Wes Welker and Vince Wilfork turn 31 in May and November, respectively. Add in the fact that the Patriots ranked 31st in the NFL in total defense during the 2011 regular season and you have a team that’s probably better-suited throwing all of their eggs in one basket rather than looking ahead to the future by making a series of less-impactful transactions. :eek:

Remember, the last time Brady and Belichick had a viable deep threat committed to the cause came in the form of a 30-year-old Randy Moss, who caught 98 passes for 1,493 yards and a staggering 23 touchdowns in 2007 en route to a 16-0 regular season and a spot in the 2008 Super Bowl. The Patriots may have come up short against the Giants when it mattered most...

Yeah, I remember that...

So WTF is your point, Joe...

Before dismissing this as coming from B/R, Erik Frenz is pretty good Pats writer (he writes for NESN too); he's probably about the only B/R writer worth following.

New England Patriots Should Avoid Mike Wallace, Better Options Available

With so many free-agent wide receivers available, the Patriots better be very certain that Wallace is the answer if they're willing to give up a first-round pick in addition to the long-term deal he'll command.

While Wallace may be the best wide receiver available in terms of skill, we've learned it's not always about that when it comes to whether a receiver succeeds or fails in New England. There are so many more reasons to stay away from Wallace than there are reasons to pursue.

The prospect of Wallace flying down the sideline on go routes all day may be a beautiful sugar plum dancing through Bill Belichick's mind as he sleeps, but will he regret trading a first-round pick and giving Wallace a long-term deal when he wakes up from that dream and it becomes a reality?

I hope the Pats drive up the price on the Steelers...but at the end of the day...no thanks...

IMHO, any and all big money signings need to be made on D.

Jeff Howe seems to think the Pats should try to acquire Wallace.

Patriots Mailbag: Mike Wallace Is Logical Fit for New England's Need at Receiver, NFL Draft Could Fill Other Holes - New England Patriots - NESN.com

Is Mike Wallace a logical option for the Patriots?

Oh, absolutely. Since the Steelers reportedly won't franchise Wallace -- which makes sense because they're hurting to restructure a bunch of contracts right now -- they'll tender him as a restricted free agent with first-round protection. The debate for the Patriots is simple: If they're planning to address the wide receiver position early in the draft, is Wallace better than what they can get at the end of the first round?

If they believe he is, then it makes sense to pry him from Pittsburgh. But if they're confident in the draft class or the rest of the free agents, they'll hold back and see what they can get in April. The good thing is we'll have that answer in a couple weeks.

I understand Howe's logic of which makes more sense, Wallace or a first round pick - but in my opinion he fails to continue to pursue that thought process and instead ends it right there. Specifically, he neglects to factor in compensation and the salary cap. While Wallace would reasonably be expected to outperform a rookie, he also takes up a higher percentage of cap space.

The real question should not be whether Wallace will outperform a rookie; it should be whether spending X amount of dollars on WR is better than spreading some of that money around elsewhere.

Also, your best value comes from whatever productive rookies outperform their first contract. One less early draft pick means one less chance at that kind of value, which in turn gives you more space to work with under the cap.

Jeff Howe seems to think the Pats should try to acquire Wallace.

Patriots Mailbag: Mike Wallace Is Logical Fit for New England's Need at Receiver, NFL Draft Could Fill Other Holes - New England Patriots - NESN.com

I understand Howe's logic of which makes more sense, Wallace or a first round pick - but in my opinion he fails to continue to pursue that thought process and instead ends it right there. Specifically, he neglects to factor in compensation and the salary cap. While Wallace would reasonably be expected to outperform a rookie, he also takes up a higher percentage of cap space.

The real question should not be whether Wallace will outperform a rookie; it should be whether spending X amount of dollars on WR is better than spreading some of that money around elsewhere.

Also, your best value comes from whatever productive rookies outperform their first contract. One less early draft pick means one less chance at that kind of value, which in turn gives you more space to work with under the cap.

Agree wholeheartedly. I'd rather see them draft one of the big, tall, fast receivers projected to be in the late 1st to mid 2nd round range - Reuben Randle, Stephen Hill, Alshon Jeffery; than give up a first and over half of the cap space they reportedly have ($20 mill) to get Wallace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back