PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The WR Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we are to run primarily a 2TE, 2WR set, I would expect that we need two REAL wide receivers plus a backup.

I think it most likely that Welker will go, and that we re-sign Edleman and a couple of mid-level receivers.

If we are to run primarily a 2TE, 2WR set, I would expect that we need two REAL wide receivers plus a backup.

I think it most likely that Welker will go, and that we re-sign Edleman and a couple of mid-level receivers.

I concur. It will be interesting to see if BB uses the draft to fill one of the vacancies. At some point you'd think it would be long term advantageous to develop a home grown product.

Isn't 5'7 kinda too short for WR? Rarely, if ever, see a guy shorter than 5'9 out there. Maybe I'm wrong I dunno, if you're gonna be short does 2 inches matter? Just a thought, would seem to be difficult to throw them the ball down the field without it going over their heads.

Well in the case of Demps (as fast as anyone in the world up to ~60m see the 100M finals of the Olympic trials), if you are 10 yards past the closest defender height isn't as big a consideration.

Bob Hayes was 5'11" and 185 lbs

Cliff Branch 5'11in and 179 lbs

Stanley Morgan 5'11", 181 lbs

It would be nice if Demps were a couple of inches taller, but if sent in motion he threatens the deep part of the field on every time.

Well in the case of Demps (as fast as anyone in the world up to ~60m see the 100M finals of the Olympic trials), if you are 10 yards past the closest defender height isn't as big a consideration.

Bob Hayes was 5'11" and 185 lbs

Cliff Branch 5'11in and 179 lbs

Stanley Morgan 5'11", 181 lbs

It would be nice if Demps were a couple of inches taller, but if sent in motion he threatens the deep part of the field on every time.

Mark Duper was 5'9" 185# and had 64 TD receptions. His teammate Mark Clayton was 5'10".

Any patriot draftee at WR is a long shot. We have Ebert on the squad now. My DRAFT priorities are a couple of lineman (one on each side of the ball) and a defensive back or two.

I concur. It will be interesting to see if BB uses the draft to fill one of the vacancies. At some point you'd think it would be long term advantageous to develop a home grown product.

Really what it comes down to is if Welker leaves, can Woody, Vereen, and Demps take over the short passing game with their versatility?

Will they run? Will they split out? Will they run a screen? Pass to the flats? Toss?

All three can conceivably do these things and would give interesting flexibility that using WRs as pass catchers and RBs as rushers alone don't offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back