PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How to level the financial playing field in the NFL

Nah, pay the money or continue to watch the Chiefs evaporate your accomplishments because they're willing to pay more than the cap unlike the Patriots ownership.

Nothing needs to change, kicking the can down the road is smart if you have any business brain because the cap is always going up so you're actually getting a bargain by doing it.

The Patriots don't do it because the Krafts don't want to spend more than the cap, they have the same options as everyone else to do it.

The cap might be crap but real cash matters, some owners are willing to hand out much more than others and that's why the Patriots act like the cap is a 100% hard cap cause the Krafts just want to spend to the cap year to year, it's a business to them. They want profit

BUT Mark Cuban said a few years ago...the NFL is a greedy pig ripe for slaughter.... that point will be reached, IMO.
I see people reference that comment every once in a while and talk about how it is going to happen.

That comment was made over 10 years ago, and the NFL has never been stronger. It's time to come to the realization that he was wrong.

2. Adjust Salary Cap for each team based on their home State's Income tax; For example, FLA teams with 0% state tax would have a downward adjustment to their cap, High State Income Tax teams..like California, NY, MA would have higher salary cap relative to FLA and Texas
No.

Just no.

You're talking minor money, and since EGO drives the top of the top more than money, the teams with state income tax would beat out the others. Agents make the deals, and agents don't care which state they're in for a deal, as their cut comes off the gross, not the after-tax net (which changes every year).

You're talking minor money, and since EGO drives the top of the top more than money, the teams with state income tax would beat out the others. Agents make the deals, and agents don't care which state they're in for a deal, as their cut comes off the gross, not the after-tax net (which changes every year).
Since when is millions of dollars "minor money"..??

If Baker Mayfield signed with NE instead of TB, he'd be taking home $2.5 million less from his signing bonus. That ain't minor money.

I see people reference that comment every once in a while and talk about how it is going to happen.

That comment was made over 10 years ago, and the NFL has never been stronger. It's time to come to the realization that he was wrong.

Agree to disagree.

- I don't think the NFL is going to expand further off shore. Maybe there will be 4 International teams MAX in the next 20 years...and maybe 4 more teams in the U.S. at most...and that would only increase revenues by 25%+ MAX.
- Streaming revenue will increase, but only in line with inflation. So, expect a 10-12% increase each time a new TV deal is done (I mean DirecTV/At&T lost money with Sunday Ticket...and YouTube.Tv/Google sees it as a loss leader on their books...but gets customers for YTTV and ad revenue on the back end to off set).
- Owners won't be selling MORE merch, more tickets, more parking, and/or more concessions unless we expand the league....

Let's also consider the perspective of teams in low/no tax states.

If I am a Cowboys fan, how do I feel if the NFL changes the salary cap rules so that the Giants and 49ers can outspend the team I root for.

Would Jerry Jones ever stand by and allow the NFL to let the Maras and DeBartolos to abide by rules that benefit their teams, while punishing his club?

I don't ever see this idea happening.

Agree to disagree.

- I don't think the NFL is going to expand further off shore. Maybe there will be 4 International teams MAX in the next 20 years...and maybe 4 more teams in the U.S. at most...and that would only increase revenues by 25%+ MAX.
- Streaming revenue will increase, but only in line with inflation. So, expect a 10-12% increase each time a new TV deal is done (I mean DirecTV/At&T lost money with Sunday Ticket...and YouTube.Tv/Google sees it as a loss leader on their books...but gets customers for YTTV and ad revenue on the back end to off set).
- Owners won't be selling MORE merch, more tickets, more parking, and/or more concessions unless we expand the league....
Expansion will occur, maybe an international emphasis. They are classic greedy businessmen. The game has changed so much. I have a mandated change from cable to streaming coming up and I don't even care if I get the NFL Network anymore. Taunting is bad, stupid dances in the end zone, ridiculous penalties. One reason playoff games are better is because they let them play with less ticky tack calls. I know some of you like that stuff and that's okay. Just one man's opinion and comfortable with it.

Agree to disagree.

They are going to go to 18 games and it is going to be a HUGE revenue increase from the networks and streaming platforms.

Let's also consider the perspective of teams in low/no tax states.

If I am a Cowboys fan, how do I feel if the NFL changes the salary cap rules so that the Giants and 49ers can outspend the team I root for.

Would Jerry Jones ever stand by and allow the NFL to let the Maras and DeBartolos to abide by rules that benefit their teams, while punishing his club?

I don't ever see this idea happening.
Just make it such that state tax has a separate quota . And it's not in the main cap. So every players state tax will be paid outside the cap.

Jerry Jones need not spend that while Kraft can spend that and that will directly be paid to state and not to players pocket and there will eb audit to ensure that it is according to cap spent and corresponding tax obligations.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back