PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Wallace = target for Pats deep threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some thoughts to consider

Is it really worth giving up a first round draft pick AND big $$$$$
when there are so many WRs on FA market?

Wallace is great...but...Lloyd will not cost a first round draft pick that is desperately needed to fix defense

Wallace is 25 years old and just put up 2 straight thousand yard seasons and he also fills one of the biggest holes on the team. I'd give up the 31st pick for him. If we didn't have another first then I may feel differently but since we do I would love to see us make a move to sign this kid.

That as my point, my bad it came across as a diss. I was expecting the torch to nail us deep leading up to that game personally, he hit us on all those short routes effortlessly.
http://gifsoup.com/
7 players, 2 3rds of the defense just got Blazed!!

I think one of the reasons why he was somewhat limited is because the defender(s) were playing him so deeply. IIRC, Belichick was so worried about his speed that he had the CB line up on the same side of the line of scrimmage as the WR in practice, trying to find a way to replicate that speed from Wallace in the preparations.

I think we were so potentially worried about him that it enabled the other guys to get underneath. In the case of playing for the NEP---that would be a very, very good thing.

It certainly would be a very exciting signing for the potential of the team and its fans. I'm just a bit leery of the potential money that he'd want.

EDIT: That .gif just did it for me. I'm sold!

Last edited:
Braylon Edwards? Huh, I'd be curious. The guy seems a little off at times but I'd at least give him a call. If I remember, he was dealing with injuries all season. I think in this environment he would do well. Them he can do The Dougie to Cromartie when he scores a TD on him.

He did have that one great season in Cleveland catching passes from slapdick Anderson and he was pretty good in NY with Sanchez. Why not?

Well, that's what I'm thinking. Why not?

He's tall, strong, relatively young (younger than Lloyd) but experienced, knows how to get open, especially along the edges and deep. He's made numerous spectacular plays when focused and, as I said, his catch rate (48%) is about average for a guy who's so often used as a deep threat. He may have some attitude issues, but I can't imagine they'd be any worse than Haynesworth's or Moss'.

It probably takes an offer of only a million or so to get him into camp (along with a few other guys) to see what he's got - and the Pats don't even owe him that mil if he doesn't make the roster.

Well, that's what I'm thinking. Why not?

He's tall, strong, relatively young (younger than Lloyd) but experienced, knows how to get open, especially along the edges and deep. He's made numerous spectacular plays when focused and, as I said, his catch rate (48%) is about average for a guy who's so often used as a deep threat. He may have some attitude issues, but I can't imagine they'd be any worse than Haynesworth's or Moss'.

It probably takes an offer of only a million or so to get him into camp (along with a few other guys) to see what he's got - and the Pats don't even owe him that mil if he doesn't make the roster.

Good pick-up on Braylon Edwards.

I'm with you, it's a perfect time for a reclamation project.

All of his troubles on the field stem from a lack of focus and maturity off the field...He tried to go the "entertainer and icon" route.

He'll only be 28, and going from 3rd overall pick superstar wide receiver to forgotten free agent should have an effect on his priorities and perspective...one would think.

He's the prototype for the position...size, strength, and speed.

The environment here would find out quickly how serious he is about football. Everyone is held accountable in meetings and during practice..."nobody here is on scholarship".

A one year deal to get him in camp would be great...If the light comes on and stays on....could be a good thing.

I agree that there is a possible reclamation project out there, but I'm not sure that it'd be Braylon Edwards on this particular team.

I am in agreement with his potential skills, the money factor and what he could offer; however, he does seem to be a knucklehead for the most part. His attitude is what worries me.

I agree that there is a possible reclamation project out there, but I'm not sure that it'd be Braylon Edwards on this particular team.

I am in agreement with his potential skills, the money factor and what he could offer; however, he does seem to be a knucklehead for the most part. His attitude is what worries me.

It wasn't until after that 2007 season, his breakout year, when things started to go downhill.

He started running his mouth, wanting to be a celebrity...trying to keep up with LeBron in Cleveland...Then he starts dropping footballs and making noise off the field negatively.

Then he becomes a Jet ....Lord have mercy.

I find it hard to even want him in camp...But Edwards is uber-talented when he's "on" and playing for the right reasons.

If anyone can get the best out of him in his currently humbling situation, it would be BB, TB, and McDaniels.

It wasn't until after that 2007 season, his breakout year, when things started to go downhill.

He started running his mouth, wanting to be a celebrity...trying to keep up with LeBron in Cleveland...Then he starts dropping footballs and making noise off the field negatively.

Then he becomes a Jet ....Lord have mercy.

I find it hard to even want him in camp...But Edwards is uber-talented when he's "on" and playing for the right reasons.

If anyone can get the best out of him in his currently humbling situation, it would be BB, TB, and McDaniels.

I think all of those points are very fair ones.

It makes for an interesting thought, as I agree that this atmosphere could potentially be the one where he may possibly flourish.

I trust the front office, so whatever they choose will be great with me.

Just to be clear, I'm NOT advocating for Edwards instead of Lloyd or Wallace or even Reggie Wayne. I'm just pointing out that there are plenty of reasons to think he could be a viable OTA/Camp participant in addition to one of these other guys.

My concern with him is NOT his previous "dropsies", but that, like Chad Whatever, Edwards may have a fairly steep hill to climb in making the transition from what has probably been mostly a "sandlot ball" experience to a highly-regimented option-read/timing route scheme. His attitude may play into this in that it raises questions about his self-discipline and the extent of his effort to study/learn.

Now, I don't know that there actually is a specific "McDaniels System" per se. However, it seems reasonable to infer that his offensive schemes (picked up from Weis and BB, who probably picked the concept up from Bill Walsh) include extensive option-read routes for the receivers, the success of which are equally dependent on the QB, by the way. What Lloyd has going for him, really, is that he seems to already be able to handle this sort of thing. Same might be said for Reggie Wayne and his experience in Peyton Manning's offense.

Technically, there might well be room on the 80-man off-season roster for all three of them, if the Pats (and these guys) were wiling to go there.

1. you forgot the trade up in Rd 2 of 2006 for that UF one year wonder Chad Jackson while passing up on a very productive college WR Greg Jennings , 238 receptions at W. Michigan

2. Next, Look at all the WR's drafted after Taylor Price....all contributing...Eric Decker, Emanuel Sanders, Brandon Lafell, Jordan Shipley, Damian Williams

the hits keep on coming......they have no clue how to scout, draft, develop a WR. No clue in 10+ years. Just keep bring scrap heap FA and hope and pray.

Imagine if Dolphins had refused to trade Welker to Pats ! lol.

Damien Williams was drafted #77, Brandon Lafell was drafted #78, Emmanuel Sanders was drafted #82, Jordan Shipley #84, Eric Decker #87, and Taylor Price not until #90. It's nice to say all those players were drafted after Taylor Price, except that it's not true with any of them.

Well, if they sign a FA Safety then use the 27th pick and both 2nd rounders on defensive players that wouldn't be so bad.

In the past they've ended up with Maroney, Watson, Graham, and Merriweather with their late first round picks so it's not like they can bank on getting a stud.

If you're going to go back to Graham, who was before your time but a pretty good TE at the time who won two rings here and only left because he wanted to be something he wasn't, which we weren't going to pay him to be... then you kinda hafta include that Wilfork guy and Mankins... And you have to note that all of them played and at times well here.

People who want to trade a first and perhaps more and back up the brinks truck for Wallace might want to ask themselves why the Steelers seem reluctant to. He had a great rookie season as those go and a breakout second season. Then halfway through this season he seemed to hit the wall. The bulk of his statistical production in 2011 came in the first 8 weeks, and in the Steelers last 9 he was largely MIA. I know Ben had some injury issues late in the season, but that's called dealing with adversity and WR's are expected to step up under those circumstances on championship caliber teams. All of his experience to date is also playing in a very undisciplined offense where scramble drills are the norm and it's athleticism moreso than anything that alternately bails you out or kills you in the long run. We run a very demanding and disciplined precision and timing and read based system here that is predicated moreso on your intelligence and instincts than your prototypical skillset. The Steelers are said to be eyeing a shift to a more disciplined passing offense along with a return to their roots as a team that runs to pass. They may be thinking that the two young WR's right behind him are a better fit for that shift. If that is the case, then he may not be a good fit for the system we run.

If you're going to go back to Graham, who was before your time but a pretty good TE at the time who won two rings here and only left because he wanted to be something he wasn't, which we weren't going to pay him to be... then you kinda hafta include that Wilfork guy and Mankins... And you have to note that all of them played and at times well here.

People who want to trade a first and perhaps more and back up the brinks truck for Wallace might want to ask themselves why the Steelers seem reluctant to. He had a great rookie season as those go and a breakout second season. Then halfway through this season he seemed to hit the wall. The bulk of his statistical production in 2011 came in the first 8 weeks, and in the Steelers last 9 he was largely MIA. I know Ben had some injury issues late in the season, but that's called dealing with adversity and WR's are expected to step up under those circumstances on championship caliber teams. All of his experience to date is also playing in a very undisciplined offense where scramble drills are the norm and it's athleticism moreso than anything that alternately bails you out or kills you in the long run. We run a very demanding and disciplined precision and timing and read based system here that is predicated moreso on your intelligence and instincts than your prototypical skillset. The Steelers are said to be eyeing a shift to a more disciplined passing offense along with a return to their roots as a team that runs to pass. They may be thinking that the two young WR's right behind him are a better fit for that shift. If that is the case, then he may not be a good fit for the system we run.

Wilfolk was much earlier in the first round, #17 I believe. Mankins was a good pick but the others I mentioned were just ok.

Why would they trade more than the 31st pick for a guy who has a 1st round tender?

They are reluctant to franchise hime because of their cap issues, not because he isn't good or worth the money.

I agree that getting Wallace isn't great value, but the other better value options haven't worked in four years. If the Pats got Lloyd and draft a WR in the mid 2nd round I'd be okay with that. I just don't have much confidence that the draft pick will work out.

I'll usually take a flyer on just about anybody but I don't want to see Braylon anywhere near this team. If getting benched in SF didn't turn on a light for him then coming here won't. Albert Haynesworth 2.0, he just doesn't get it.

Last edited:
The Patriots are in prime position to get Wallace.

The Steelers are in salary cap hell for 2012. Even after they make a bunch of cuts, they'll be just even with the cap with a lot of holes to fill. They'll probably need some veterans to restructure, but a lot of them already have previously. So, suppose the Patriots come in and offer Wallace a highly front-loaded contract for, say, $12M guaranteed next year. The Steelers would at that point be in a nearly impossible situation to match the offer.

In addition, the 31st pick in the draft isn't the 10th pick in the draft. This move would make sense. But the question becomes whether he's a fit in the Pats' system. Roethlisberger is not exactly a smart system guy who reads and reacts to defensive formations.

The Patriots are in prime position to get Wallace.

The Steelers are in salary cap hell for 2012. Even after they make a bunch of cuts, they'll be just even with the cap with a lot of holes to fill. They'll probably need some veterans to restructure, but a lot of them already have previously. So, suppose the Patriots come in and offer Wallace a highly front-loaded contract for, say, $12M guaranteed next year. The Steelers would at that point be in a nearly impossible situation to match the offer.

In addition, the 31st pick in the draft isn't the 10th pick in the draft. This move would make sense. But the question becomes whether he's a fit in the Pats' system. Roethlisberger is not exactly a smart system guy who reads and reacts to defensive formations.

Agreed.

I would add that all the guys who didn't fit the Pats system went on to do nothing else in their careers so maybe it's more talent related than we think.

The idea of offering a deal to Wallace is currently being discussed on WEEI.

I find it to be strange that people say I am crazy for saying Moss is coming back, yet here we have a serious discussion about Wallace coming to NE..its not going to happen, no way shape or form.

I'll usually take a flyer on just about anybody but I don't want to see Braylon anywhere near this team. If getting benched in SF didn't turn on a light for him then coming here won't. Albert Haynesworth 2.0, he just doesn't get it.

I don't think Braylon is as much of a jackass as we all think he is. I was reading that while in Cleveland he pledged for 101 kids to receive scholarships if they maintained a grade pt avg over 2.5. Even though he was with the Jets when they graduated he fulfilled his promise and it cost him more then $1 million.

He wouldn't command much of a salary at this point and if he acts up or doesn't work out we cut him. He is what we need at outside WR. A big target who can stretch the field and catch about 50 - 60 balls a year. The bonus is that the money saved by going for Braylon over a higher priced WR is that we can use that money to go after a good defensive FA or 2.

I find it to be strange that people say I am crazy for saying Moss is coming back, yet here we have a serious discussion about Wallace coming to NE..its not going to happen, no way shape or form.

Do you mean Braylon Edwards?..if so then I can see your point. But I don't see how you can say that about Wallace. He's in his prime and has no off field issues.

Do you mean Braylon Edwards?..if so then I can see your point. But I don't see how you can say that about Wallace. He's in his prime and has no off field issues.

Trust me, I hope I am wrong about Wallace, but I dont see NE giving him the contract he will want.

Wallace wasn't even the best receiver on his team last year, or that matter the most consistent. That credit goes to Antonio Brown

Anyone who thinks BB is going to give up a #1 pick(worth gold now given the rookie contracts), AND BE FORCED TO SIGN HIM TO a BIG $$ DEAL is out of their friggin mind, and has not been following his Modus Opendi the last decade plus. Also, why would he be that stupid when there are options in FA which could command the same $'s but no need to lose the draft pick.

As always he will make the picks with 1st of the 1st rounder, and spin the 2nd 1st rounder into multiple future picks.

The time to have selected Wallace was in 2009 draft; BB chose Tate, and 1 pick later Steelers chose Wallace. End of story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore