PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Wallace = target for Pats deep threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well on this we agree. I think Welker fully understands that his success is partially dependent on the system he's in, AND the QB he's playing with.

I'm sure that he realizes that he's now on borrowed time. At his size and age, he should know that he doesn't have much time left, and when it starts to go, it will go fast.

In an ideal world, I think 2 years at $16MM would be the fairest deal for both sides. Though its unlikely to work out that way.

BTW- I just read or PFT, that the franchise tags this year are significantly lower because of the new CBA's way of calculating them. So if the Pats did franchise Wes, it would only be for around $8MM, down from over $10MM in 2011. Other positions saw similar drops.

The franchise tag is lower, but it's $9.4M estimated for WR.

And a 2 year deal for Welker is totally unrealistic. He could play under the tag for that for two years with no security and make $20M+. I don't think Welker will hold out on the tag, but if they were to bring in another WR at top tier money on a long term deal while tagging him, then I could and I wouldn't blame him.

Braylon Edwards

EDIT: Thought he had a history of bad dropsies?

Overstated, I think, and primarily based on his 2008 season in which he was attempting to field passes from that elite, HoF QB triumvirate of Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn and Ken Dorsey (all of whom, I firmly believe, were getting hammered in the locker room before the start of every game). He also wasn't great this season coming off an injury (but still way better than 2008).

Most seasons, he's been over 50%, which is a very reasonable catch rate for a guy who is used so frequently for deep routes. Sure, he drops a few - everybody does. But, as we witnessed watching the Jets a couple times in 2010, he makes Manningham-like grabs on a pretty regular basis, too.

If BB called him up and offered him a Hayneworth-type deal, I think he'd jump on it and report to OTAs in the best shape he's ever been in.

The guy is only 29 - tall, strong, wily. Seems to me he'd be worth the phone call. Plus, there's the bonus effect of shocking the crap out of most everyone.

Edwards had to sign with the 49ers for $1M on a 1 year contract. They benched him in favor of Ted Ginn and Kyle Williams. Yes, that Kyle Williams. He's worthless.

Your IQ of an amoeba brain can Read ? If so, read the link slowly 10x and comeback. Your answer is in the link, then again clueless hillbilly like you may have tough time registering the logic and differences between Wallace and Colston.

Stick to watching GA football.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH[/COLOR][/B]

I'm familiar with the differences between the two WRs. If you were able to comprehend my previous post, you'd understand that. It's you who seems unable to understand anything.

This is a long post you just made that I'm quoting and I have no intention of forcing myself to read any more of your ignorant trash.

Hillbilly? Because I moved from NE to GA?

Go watch GA football? Not a UGA fan either. Your ignorance and lack of intelligence isn't welcome here.

Just get the **** out.

Braylon Edwards? Huh, I'd be curious. The guy seems a little off at times but I'd at least give him a call. If I remember, he was dealing with injuries all season. I think in this environment he would do well. Them he can do The Dougie to Cromartie when he scores a TD on him.

He did have that one great season in Cleveland catching passes from slapdick Anderson and he was pretty good in NY with Sanchez. Why not?

You guys are talking about Braylon. All I remember is him doing a backflip on the field after we lost in the playoffs last year. He can backflip his ass into free agency and stay there.

From what it appears and what BB feels, Wallace is improving in all phases of his route running. He is not just simply a long field threat anymore, and takes advantage of the defenders playing him so far off the line that he utilizes a lot of crossing routes to his advantage too.

He has proven that he's not just a one-trick pony.

That said, I seriously doubt that we'd use a #1 on him w/ a big long term deal; although it would be great.

From what it appears and what BB feels, Wallace is improving in all phases of his route running. He is not just simply a long field threat anymore, and takes advantage of the defenders playing him so far off the line that he utilizes a lot of crossing routes to his advantage too.

He has proven that he's not just a one-trick pony.

That said, I seriously doubt that we'd use a #1 on him w/ a big long term deal; although it would be great.

That was nicely show cased in our week 8 encounter.

Must of been his lowest YPC game in a while.:p

Last edited:
That was nicely show cased in our week 8 encounter.:p

Must of been his lowest YPC game in a while.

According to Belichick prior to that week 8 game he said something very close to the following:

"He has been improving every single week throughout his career, and really runs all of the routes in the offense with much better technique now." (paraphrasing)

Although Wallace 'only' had 7 catches for 70 yds in that meeting, he helped to open up a lot of ground underneath for the other offensive players too.

With that kind of speed, it makes a lot of sense to try and grab him--that's for sure!

Last edited:
According to Belichick prior to that week 8 game he said something very close to the following:

"He has been improving every single week throughout his career, and really runs all of the routes in the offense with much better technique now." (paraphrasing)

Although Wallace 'only' had 7 catches for 70 yds in that meeting, he helped to open up a lot of ground underneath for the other offensive players too.

That as my point, my bad it came across as a diss. I was expecting the torch to nail us deep leading up to that game personally, he hit us on all those short routes effortlessly.
http://gifsoup.com/
7 players, 2 3rds of the defense just got Blazed!!

Last edited:
Reading Peter King's MMQB today, looks like WR's could be expensive buys:

Six teams have more than $40 million in cap room available entering the start of the league year three weeks from now (Tampa, $67M; KC, $62M;CINCI $60M; WASH $49M; DEN $49M; JAX $45M).
What's the one position five of those teams -- all but Cincinnati -- have in common? A need at receiver (considering Dwayne Bowe, if the Chiefs lose him, will leave a hole at wideout for Kansas City). Which is good for a restricted free agent like Mike Wallace, who could get an offer the Steelers won't be able to match because of their cap problems this winter, and for unrestricted free agents like Vincent Jackson, Stevie Johnson, Brandon Lloyd and maybe an under-the-radar guy like Robert Meachem of the Saints. I don't expect Wes Welker to leave New England, but if he does, that'll add to the free-agent mayhem.

Reading Peter King's MMQB today, looks like WR's could be expensive buys:

The Bengals have AJ Green, Shipley and Jermaine Gresham.

The Broncos have Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker and they have a run based offense.

Washington and Jacksonville have many other needs and don't have a QB who can properly utilize a downfield WR.

KC could just keep Dwayne Bowe if they want.

Last edited:
The Bengals have AJ Green, Shipley and Jermaine Gresham.

The Broncos have Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker and they have a run based offense.

True enough on the Broncos; and Cinci's situation was acknowledged. That still leaves some teams with serious cash available looking at WRs. Only takes one or two.

True enough on the Broncos; and Cinci's situation was acknowledged. That still leaves some teams with serious cash available looking at WRs. Only takes one or two.

Good point, I overlooked that. I did however hear someone on ESPN say the Bengals were a candidate to go after Wallace but I think their only logic was that the Bengals have two #1's.

I agree that the market for guys like Meachem and Manningham will be pretty high but I can't see too many teams going after Mike Wallace. I'm hoping the Patriots can agree to a contract for a reasonable price.

So if I understand this correctly the pats could offer him say a 6 year 54 million dollar deal, if the steelers choose to match he has to sign that six year 54 million dollar deal and is stuck with the steelers?

So if I understand this correctly the pats could offer him say a 6 year 54 million dollar deal, if the steelers choose to match he has to sign that six year 54 million dollar deal and is stuck with the steelers?

Yes correct.

Some thoughts to consider

Is it really worth giving up a first round draft pick AND big $$$$$
when there are so many WRs on FA market?

Wallace is great...but...Lloyd will not cost a first round draft pick that is desperately needed to fix defense

Some thoughts to consider

Is it really worth giving up a first round draft pick AND big $$$$$
when there are so many WRs on FA market?

Wallace is great...but...Lloyd will not cost a first round draft pick that is desperately needed to fix defense

Well, if they sign a FA Safety then use the 27th pick and both 2nd rounders on defensive players that wouldn't be so bad.

In the past they've ended up with Maroney, Watson, Graham, and Merriweather with their late first round picks so it's not like they can bank on getting a stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick