PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Philly are pretty much backed into a corner in this saga - they can't afford to keep him and Samuel can nix any trade he doesn't like by simply refusing to take a salary cut.

Samuel's agent will be aware that all they have to do is wait this one out for a few weeks and then the Eagles will cut him and there will be no restriction at all on where he can sign.

From a pure talent standpoint Asante would be a great pick-up, although he won't come cheap and his 'get paid' persona won't work here.

I dunna know. I know hes not the same player in skill and attitude going back to when he was here but the guy did know the system and perform well in it (when he didn't free lance). If we could get him for a low pick, short $$ I think he might have an opportunity to produce as a dime DB.

I think hes worth a look at in camp.

What part of he's not willing to take a substantial pay cut and he's not willing to play any position other than starting LCB did you miss?? He is due $21M on his contract over the next 2 seasons... No one is trading even a day 3 pick for the pleasure of paying him that. Ergo the problem with trading him...can't find someone willing to trade a pick and pay enough...

Last edited:
If we could get him for a low pick, short $$ I think he might have an opportunity to produce as a dime DB.

I think hes worth a look at in camp.

That is an interesting analysis, RW.

I am not a big A.Samuel supporter myself, but I think you are underestimating his skillset a great deal.

That is an interesting analysis, RW.

I am not a big A.Samuel supporter myself, but I think you are underestimating his skillset a great deal.

Not to mention his ego...

Not to mention his ego...

Yes, his ego--much more than anything else. Samuel's version of a 'pay cut' is from about 10 million to somewhere between 8-8 1/2 likely.

As I said earlier, I am not even sure that Belichick would be interested at 1/2 of what his current salary is, and I honestly believe that.

But the comments of "short $$," "dime DB," and "might be worth a look in camp" really were.....interesting.

On another note, apologies to Andy Johnson, as he is correct...

I re-watched the Welker drop (unrelated, but it came up due to the Samuel discussion and his SB INT drop) and you are certainly correct. It was pretty much a clear cut 'drop' in every sense of the word.

Now I feel even worse about the loss, and I never thought that'd be humanly possible.

Thanks again to the guy who put it up in the Welker thread..that was very kind of you to re-hash that for us. I had somehow managed to escape that for almost 3 months now.

Last edited:
According to Schefter:

The Falcons are on the verge of acquiring Eagles Pro-Bowl cornerback Asante Samuel for a late-round pick.

A..$...$...ante nees to stay far away from this team....far far away.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if Atlanta takes the bait. Would be the second time in a season Dimetroff went against Belichick theory. Third time if you count that first round QB selection although at the time I think they had little choice since they were trying to change an ugly culture on and off the field. And there was the whole flirtation with doing Hard Knocks a week or two ago. I think there is some pressure being exerted by Blank to see what he thought he bought into, NEP South, bear some real fruit. Which may ultimately result in that not ever happening.

I thought Atlanta were close to the cap limit so I'm very surprised at this.

Asante's still a good player but the Eagles overpaid for him. That's the reason why they want to get rid of his contract. I don't know why there's so much animosity towards him in these boards. He performed well for us and made some key plays in big games.

A report on the radio just said that he'll be going to Atlanta with a 3 year, $18 million dollar contract.

A report on the radio just said that he'll be going to Atlanta with a 3 year, $18 million dollar contract.
yea yea I am a falcons fan on a patriots board. but I love football and never troll.
anyhow the falcons were 2 million left in cap space. now they have to find 4 million. this is going to mean one player will be cut; my guess is our LT baker (sack maker is what I call him) is the one who will be gone. but there is also Mughelli who is a pro-bowler but got hurt very bad last season and now the falcons have him and 3 other RB's. so mughelli could be the one cut here as well, sadly.

yea yea I am a falcons fan on a patriots board. but I love football and never troll.
anyhow the falcons were 2 million left in cap space. now they have to find 4 million. this is going to mean one player will be cut; my guess is our LT baker (sack maker is what I call him) is the one who will be gone. but there is also Mughelli who is a pro-bowler but got hurt very bad last season and now the falcons have him and 3 other RB's. so mughelli could be the one cut here as well, sadly.

Robinson, Grimes and Samuel.... very interesting trio for the Falcons.

all I can say is I cannot wait.
now if we can just borrow the patriots O-line......hmmmmm how to work that out. LOL

I hear you. There's a lot about that Falcons team that I like, but it seems to lack toughness on both lines, and I get a general sense of softness from the overall team. Having an ornery bastard like a Mankins might go a ways towards fixing that. But having that CB trio is an excellent approach in a division where they have to face Brees and the Saints twice a year.

Last edited:
They essentially gave him away.

@JasonLaCanfora
Eagles got a 7th round pick for Asante Samuel

They essentially gave him away.

@JasonLaCanfora
Eagles got a 7th round pick for Asante Samuel

I'm waiting to hear that is what the last pick of the 7th rounder.

this is crazy he went down to 6 million per year and signed for 3. and the falcons had to only give up a 7th.

well I know can say with Nolan being our DC and our new secondary coach and with grimes, dunta, Asante; then we should be seeing y'all at the super bowl....right????

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back