PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are giving him away, and no one is taking. Nice story/excuse, but it really doesn't hold water to argue he was their best corner last year. Of course, thats because he wasn't.

I ask again who was LAST YEAR

I'm not saying he's greatest just that he's better than alot of teams CBs, I never said I was smarter than the Eagles' FO but to say just cause they're getting rid of a 31 year old CB making 11 million each of the next two years and no one wants to pay that means he hasn't been good. For instance Revis is the 16th highest paid CB, Eric Wright is the 5th highest paid so using what other teams think once again isn't a great example.

I am saying that I watch him play, and he is not the best corner on the Eagles.
I am saying that if he was better than their other corners they wouldn't be giving him away. That is really what they are doing. They will give him to anyone who will take him. That is not what you do with your best corner.
The fact that there are no takers also illustrates what other teams feel about him.
I am not saying he sucks, but IIRC, you called him a top 5 corner. If ANY teams felt he was a top 5 corner they would jump at this deal and gladly pay him what is owed on his contract.
I am not saying this is the basis of my position, but that I watched him play and feel his play was nowhere near as good as you are calling it, and these facts support what I saw with my eyes.

Not interested. Don't think his style fits the current pats scheme, think he burned bridges here on his way out, and honestly really don't want to have to root for him again. Very me type of player.
Deion Branch burned just as many bridges and he was welcomed back. Thankfully, Belichick makes these decisions without any sort of emotional interference.

I am saying that I watch him play, and he is not the best corner on the Eagles.
I am saying that if he was better than their other corners they wouldn't be giving him away. That is really what they are doing. They will give him to anyone who will take him. That is not what you do with your best corner.
The fact that there are no takers also illustrates what other teams feel about him.
I am not saying he sucks, but IIRC, you called him a top 5 corner. If ANY teams felt he was a top 5 corner they would jump at this deal and gladly pay him what is owed on his contract.
I am not saying this is the basis of my position, but that I watched him play and feel his play was nowhere near as good as you are calling it, and these facts support what I saw with my eyes.

I did say threw 13 games last year he was rated as a top 5 corner i can't for sure tell you how he finished and you still didn't say which corneron the eagles was better last year because Nnamdi and DRC were awful last year.

Deion Branch burned just as many bridges and he was welcomed back. Thankfully, Belichick makes these decisions without any sort of emotional interference.

I don't really see any emotion in "this guy's cap hit is way too much." Branch took a $3.75M pay cut on his 2011 salary to come back. Samuel wants every penny he can get.

I did say threw 13 games last year he was rated as a top 5 corner i can't for sure tell you how he finished and you still didn't say which corneron the eagles was better last year because Nnamdi and DRC were awful last year.

Asomugha is a much better corner. Its not even close.
I don't know what you mean by through 13 games and you don't know how he finished? I thought you watched him play.
Are you just reading Pro Football Focus and calling that analysis?
Pro Football Focus uses people with no football background to grade players from the TV feed that doesn't even show 75% of corner play. They have an epically horrendous record of grading players, including rating Tom Brady 30th in the league in 2010 when he was the only unanimous MVP ever.

Asomugha is a much better corner. Its not even close.
I don't know what you mean by through 13 games and you don't know how he finished? I thought you watched him play.
Are you just reading Pro Football Focus and calling that analysis?
Pro Football Focus uses people with no football background to grade players from the TV feed that doesn't even show 75% of corner play. They have an epically horrendous record of grading players, including rating Tom Brady 30th in the league in 2010 when he was the only unanimous MVP ever.

I said I didn't watch the last game he only played 14 and you said Nnamdi is a better corner but based off last year and last year only Samuel was better even Eagle fans will tell you that so did you really watch the game because again Nnamdi was bad last year.

I said I didn't watch the last game he only played 14 and you said Nnamdi is a better corner but based off last year and last year only Samuel was better even Eagle fans will tell you that so did you really watch the game because again Nnamdi was bad last year.

Clearly you think Samuel is better than Asomugha, and I totally disagree.
It is silly going back and forth and finding different ways to say the same thing.

By the way, you didn't say you watched 13 games, you say you know 'where he was ranked after 13 games but have no clue where he ended up".
You aren't very consistent in your comments, which is why I am figuring you read Pro Footballl Focus and let them give you your opinion.

In any event, we are getting nowhere. Last word is yours. I'm done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly you think Samuel is better than Asomugha, and I totally disagree.
It is silly going back and forth and finding different ways to say the same thing.

What's funny is I don't but last year may have been Nnamdi worst year that's all I was saying. In that scheme the Eagles were using didn't utilize his strengths and he struggled.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=nnamdi+asomugha+struggles&oq=nnamdi+asomugha+str&aq=0v&aqi=g-v1&aql=&gs_nf=1&gs_l=serp.1.0.0i15.3771.5933.0.9732.3.3.0.0.0.0.67.184.3.3.0.8vJmTTJIe1g&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=5842385ffbbc5004&ion=1

Last edited:
What's funny is I don't but last year may have been Nnamdi worst year that's all I was saying. In that scheme the Eagles were using didn't utilize his strengths and he struggled.

Not really. Everyone expect his side of the field to be taken totally out of play, like it was in Oakland. He allowed some completions early in the season, and as often happens, that created the myth that he played poorly all season. He didn't.

Oops. said I was giving you the last word, but you went in a different direction, and I responded. Back to last word is yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd happily pick up Samuel once hes released if he wanted 1million per season. If not then no thanks.

I don't really see any emotion in "this guy's cap hit is way too much." Branch took a $3.75M pay cut on his 2011 salary to come back. Samuel wants every penny he can get.
Yes, his cap number should absolutely be a factor is making any such decision. I was just replying to someone who said Asante "burned his bridges" and I'm saying the manner in which he left the team a couple years ago should not and will not be a factor.

Last edited:
Yes, his cap number should absolutely be a factor is making any such decision. I was just replying to someone who said Asante "burned his bridges" and I'm saying the manner in which he left the team a couple years ago should not and will not be a factor.

It should be if the reason he left is still a problem now. For both, money was the reason they left. With Branch, money was not a problem when he came back. For Samuel now, money is a problem.

It should be if the reason he left is still a problem now. For both, money was the reason they left. With Branch, money was not a problem when he came back. For Samuel now, money is a problem.

Also, Asante took a bunch of personal shots at Belichick after he left. Belichick and Branch had always adored each other and were clearly still close when they warmly embraced on the field in Seattle in 2008. Not nearly the same thing.

IMO Samuel will take a pay cut to go to a team that he wants to play on. But it will not be much to facilitate a trade. He rather play for the eagles at his salary or get cut and go to the team of his choice and get another 8 figure SB.

At his age and skill level I think he can command 3 years 7 mill per and 10 mill in bonus on the open market. Tampa would be a likely landing spot.

The Eagles braintrust seems to have come to the conclusion that part of the reason for that WAS the existence of one corner on their roster who has limited versatility combined with an ego that will only play LCB and is only effective in zone coverage that forced them to deploy their secondary in a way that failed to make the best use of all of their other corners...;)

If Asante was scheme versatile and willing to restructure his contract to reflect his actual value the Eagles wouldn't now be serious about looking to unload him as they have been toying with the concept of doing for the last couple of seasons...

I'd happily pick up Samuel once hes released if he wanted 1million per season. If not then no thanks.

Which is the equivalent of saying no thanks...

I dunna know. I know hes not the same player in skill and attitude going back to when he was here but the guy did know the system and perform well in it (when he didn't free lance). If we could get him for a low pick, short $$ I think he might have an opportunity to produce as a dime DB.

I think hes worth a look at in camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back