PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
From rotoworld.com (Rotoworld - Fantasy Baseball, Basketball, Football, Baseball and Hockey. Draft guide, news, projections, cheatsheets, depth charts and more.

"ESPN's Adam Schefter said on SportsCenter Monday that the Eagles' asking price for Asante Samuel "isn't very much at this point."
Schefter also reiterated that the Eagles want this deal done before the draft. The latest reports out of Philly suggest they'd accept a conditional fifth-round pick, and Schefter has said the Eagles probably won't net more than a sixth-rounder. Because Samuel controls his contract, however, he has a large amount of say in where he goes. He'll have to restructure for a deal to happen. Apr 23 - 10:44 AM"

The Patriots don't have a pick past the 4th round this year, but if the Eagles will ultimately accept a sixth rounder this year, the equivalent might be a fifth rounder in 2013. If you're NE, and can get Samuel to restructure his contract (currently it's set for $8.4 million in 2012 and $10.4 million in 2013) - i.e., he restructures at a very reduced rate - would you trade your 2013 5th rounder for Samuel?

I don't think he's as good as he once was, but he's probably still significantly better than what they currently have. If the price wasn't that high, would it be worth it to you? Or would you rather skip that altogether and just go with what you have and use a draft pick on a CB?

For a 5th or 6th? I'd pull the trigger on that deal in a second, I don't even care if he restructures. The Pats have a crap load of cap space even with Welker not signed.

From rotoworld.com (Rotoworld - Fantasy Baseball, Basketball, Football, Baseball and Hockey. Draft guide, news, projections, cheatsheets, depth charts and more.

"ESPN's Adam Schefter said on SportsCenter Monday that the Eagles' asking price for Asante Samuel "isn't very much at this point."
Schefter also reiterated that the Eagles want this deal done before the draft. The latest reports out of Philly suggest they'd accept a conditional fifth-round pick, and Schefter has said the Eagles probably won't net more than a sixth-rounder. Because Samuel controls his contract, however, he has a large amount of say in where he goes. He'll have to restructure for a deal to happen. Apr 23 - 10:44 AM"

The Patriots don't have a pick past the 4th round this year, but if the Eagles will ultimately accept a sixth rounder this year, the equivalent might be a fifth rounder in 2013. If you're NE, and can get Samuel to restructure his contract (currently it's set for $8.4 million in 2012 and $10.4 million in 2013) - i.e., he restructures at a very reduced rate - would you trade your 2013 5th rounder for Samuel?

I don't think he's as good as he once was, but he's probably still significantly better than what they currently have. If the price wasn't that high, would it be worth it to you? Or would you rather skip that altogether and just go with what you have and use a draft pick on a CB?

Unless he takes a Moss-style pay cut (if not more), YOU have a better chance of playing for the Pats in 2012.

Not interested. Don't think his style fits the current pats scheme, think he burned bridges here on his way out, and honestly really don't want to have to root for him again. Very me type of player.

Don't think Belichick pursues it without a pretty massive restructure, and at that point, why wouldn't other teams beat him to the punch?

Then again, Samuel at FS would be really interesting.

He is not the same player who left here, and it would seem his attitude has only gotten worse.
The Eagles simply do not want him on their team, and it isn't because of money. That should tell you all you need to know.

IMO, this is a guy who played well when under the thumb of 'the Patriot Way" while wanting to fight it but knowing his teammates wouldn't let him.
As soon as he was gone, he became the epitome of a selfish ME player, and I think the chance of coming back from that is minute.

Not interested. Don't think his style fits the current pats scheme, think he burned bridges here on his way out, and honestly really don't want to have to root for him again. Very me type of player.

Don't think Belichick pursues it without a pretty massive restructure, and at that point, why wouldn't other teams beat him to the punch?

Then again, Samuel at FS would be really interesting.

What do you do with a S who doesn't want to hit anyone?

Not going to happen

Overrated from day one. Glad he's gone. Hate to see him back.

No thanks who needs a nickel back, who does not like to hit people..

The Iggles overpaid for him..

Last edited:
Been There, DONE THAT & DONE US IN!
I keep thinkin about that butter fingers miss that would sealed'da deal anyway NO Use in rehashin.......I'll Pass!

He'll land somewhere this year, go through training camp, get cut during the final cutdown, and be out of football by September.

IMO, that ship sailed a long time ago.

Took them long enough to get buyer's remorse :D

Don't forget - the Patriots don't have a fifth or a sixth rounder. Also...Schefter also said on Twitter that there is "no chance" the Patriots get Samuel.

If he's willing to restructure that'd be very attractive

hate it...

There was a similar thread just a few days ago. Based upon last season, Samuel would be the best CB on the Patriots, despite his freelancing tendencies and general aversion to defending the run game. However, it's not likely that BB would be willing to pay the money he's due, so I don't see this happening.

Had BB been willing to shell out this kind of coin on a CB, there were some available in free agency that wouldn't have cost a draft pick on top of the salary compensation.

Last edited:
He makes that int in SB 42. I name my children after him.

he didn't.

M'eh

He is not the same player who left here, and it would seem his attitude has only gotten worse.
The Eagles simply do not want him on their team, and it isn't because of money. That should tell you all you need to know.

IMO, this is a guy who played well when under the thumb of 'the Patriot Way" while wanting to fight it but knowing his teammates wouldn't let him.
As soon as he was gone, he became the epitome of a selfish ME player, and I think the chance of coming back from that is minute.

If the Pats can get him for a late round pick, 5th, 6th...IMO there is a good chance that he returns. The Pats need to re-do much of their secondary, especially at slot corner.... and the addition of Samuel would give them enough decent players at the corner slot to make the move. Of course, the other key is getting rid of Arrington, the weakest link in the secondary.

Dowling returns, a couple of secondary free agents, the 2nd and 3rd year players gaining more experience... i dont think this secondary will be anywhere near as bad as sme are suggesting.

And, hopefully, with a re designed pass rush, the defense, overall, will be a huge amount better than last season. I see this defense working its way into a top ten, or even better.

And no, I have not lost my marbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back