PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Light to retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

he played in 30 of 32 games in 1st 2 years
this his third year he still played 6 games this year in reg season due to injury, and was not IR'd

Not sure how this makes him a concern from durability standpoint. Could have said the same for Light after his 2005 season which he missed 13 games, or Mankins in 2010 season when he played 9 games.

Vollmer is 27. If he was 32/33, different story.

"The new journalism":rolleyes:

crystal-ball.jpg

That could be the new journalism and we might possibly see the fruition of those "beliefs" at some point down the line. Or not.

That could be the new journalism and we might possibly see the fruition of those "beliefs" at some point down the line. Or not.

Yes, I predict Light will retire, or not, every fall until he does. it's not exactly going out on a limb, and writing it as if it's "news" causes these robosites to pick it up as such, when there isn't a shred of actual news there, as the columnist admits.

Here's the beginning of the original post, none of which is true, as admitted by the columnist. Of course the OP wouldn't be the only one drawing that conclusion by the articles inference.

The Boston Herald reports LT Matt Light is considering retirement, and that the "expectation" is he won't be back with the Patriots in 2012.

The "expectation" is the tingly feeling in the pinkie of the columnist. Apparently, he has inside information that the patriots drafted a tall left tackle in the first round this year.

It's a guess, not worthy of a column. He could have simply said i wouldn't be surprised Light retired after admitting he knew no more than the average fan.

Of course, the OP totally misrepresented what the column said too.

Last edited:
Light tackles decision to play again - BostonHerald.com

FWIW here is the full article from todays' Herald.

"But internally, a source said, the Pats are planning on last year’s first-round pick, Nate Solder, as their future left tackle." ya think?

Not much substance in this piece, just speculation as many people expected.

Haven't read the 7 page thread.....My question may have already been answered...
Question...if Light retires, won't he have to return a portion of his bonus?

With any luck this is pure conjecture, but I get the sense that someone is leaking the real possibility that Light might hang it up.

Concerns about his own health could be a factor, regardless of his performance this season.

Light is also smart enough to know that when a LT loses a step it has a major impact on a QB and I've always had the sense that Light would not be one to extend his career and place the team in jeopardy.

That being said if he's considering retirement he must feel one of the younger guys is ready to take his place.

If Waters is considering retirement as well this is going to make free agency and the draft very different. The good news is that I think there's typically good value to be found late in the first round and through the second round of the draft when it comes to OL.

My preference would be to see that addressed with in house players and use those picks or that f.a. money for a LB or deep WR.

Haven't read the 7 page thread.....My question may have already been answered...

Yes, he would legally be bound to return $3 million.

Nope... Unless the new CBA changed the rules his signing bonus is his to keep - the only guaranteed salaries that NFL players get (unless those bonus dollars that were payable at a future date based on say, being on the roster or a workout bonus.)

Any bonus money paid upfront is the players to keep, as long as he wasn't outsted due to some character issue with a "bad boy" clause written into the contract.

Light would keep the $6 million bonus and $3 million of that would hit the Pats salary cap this year whether he plays or not.

Last edited:

Quite an assumption there by the Herald. I assume Cannon is a tackle because that is where he played in college and where he played for us when used this season. He has a body type that says tackle more than guard.

I really think the only reason any of us even mention him as a guard was because of depth last year. We drafted him last year and he would have been the fourth tackle. But we at the time only had Mankins as a reliable guard maybe Connolly too (but I think we all have a higher opinion of him now than last offseason). There was some minor knock on his footwork and thus we all just jumped on the guard train.

Is it still possible we move him to guard? Sure especially if Waters retires. He is the third best tackle on the team right now and 4th with Light but he could be one of the 5 best OL we have so you have to find a role for him.

I will say it one more time we are in a good postion at Tackle with or without Light obviously better with him but we are not set at interior OL as all we have locked up there of any value is Mankins. We either need to resign both Connolly and Koppen or one and have Waters return and even still we should be drafting this position if we lose all three this will be the biggest offseason need.

Nope... Unless the new CBA changed the rules his signing bonus is his to keep - the only guaranteed salaries that NFL players get (unless those bonus dollars that were payable at a future date based on say, being on the roster or a workout bonus.)

Any bonus money paid upfront is the players to keep, as long as he wasn't outsted due to some character issue with a "bad boy" clause written into the contract.

Light would keep the $6 million bonus and $3 million of that would hit the Pats salary cap this year whether he plays or not.

When Ricky Williams retired the first time, Miami went after a portion of his bonus. I just don't believe the NFL perceives bonuses as unretrievable gifts

I do not believe that is correct. If I recall correctly Barry Sanders, Jake Plummer, Ricky Williams and others have had to return a pro-rated portion of their signing bonuses when they retired.

If you stop and think about it, if that was the case then what's to stop a player from signing a six or eight year deal with a huge signing bonus, and then retiring a week later?

Last edited:
With any luck this is pure conjecture, but I get the sense that someone is leaking the real possibility that Light might hang it up.

That's funny, why doesn't Rappoport, or whoever wrote this article saying he has absolutely no information saying Light will retire, know about that leak?

The author said he predicted light would retire after this season at the beginning of the year.

Of course, once Solder was drafted, everyone had this thought, so maybe it's a mass ESP leak.

Quite an assumption there by the Herald. I assume Cannon is a tackle because that is where he played in college and where he played for us when used this season. He has a body type that says tackle more than guard.

I really think the only reason any of us even mention him as a guard was because of depth last year. We drafted him last year and he would have been the fourth tackle. But we at the time only had Mankins as a reliable guard maybe Connolly too (but I think we all have a higher opinion of him now than last offseason). There was some minor knock on his footwork and thus we all just jumped on the guard train.

Is it still possible we move him to guard? Sure especially if Waters retires. He is the third best tackle on the team right now and 4th with Light but he could be one of the 5 best OL we have so you have to find a role for him.

I will say it one more time we are in a good postion at Tackle with or without Light obviously better with him but we are not set at interior OL as all we have locked up there of any value is Mankins. We either need to resign both Connolly and Koppen or one and have Waters return and even still we should be drafting this position if we lose all three this will be the biggest offseason need.

I believe he's projected as a guard in the NFL due to lack of foot speed/agility. fine for a backup tackle, though. Lots of college tackles play guard, Mankins, for instance.

Last edited:
I believe he's projected as a guard in the NFL due to lack of foot speed/agility. fine for a backup tackle, though. Lots of college tackles play guard, Mankins, for instance.

Connolly too. I was really hoping to see an OL of Light, Mankins, Connolly, Kaczur, and Vollmer at some point. Five college left tackles.

Connolly too. I was really hoping to see an OL of Light, Mankins, Connolly, Kaczur, and Vollmer at some point. Five college left tackles.

Didn't know that. I suppose it's the "most talented guy" effect. Most colleges don't have an NFL quality LT obviously, so they stick their best lineman there to keep their QB out of the hospital.

The Boston Herald reports LT Matt Light is considering retirement, and that the "expectation" is he won't be back with the Patriots in 2012.

I mustve missed the memo. I thought we didnt believe anything the Herald reports? :bricks:

and i believe Light plays one more year, then retires, and awaits the call to the HOF. :D

I mustve missed the memo. I thought we didnt believe anything the Herald reports? :bricks:

and i believe Light plays one more year, then retires, and awaits the call to the HOF. :D

I assume Justin Tuck will provide the intro for Light's HOF induction?

If I recall correctly Barry Sanders, Jake Plummer, Ricky Williams and others have had to return a pro-rated portion of their signing bonuses when they retired.

If you stop and think about it, if that was the case then what's to stop a player from signing a six or eight year deal with a huge signing bonus, and then retiring a week later?

The bar is pretty high for a team to be able to get any of the signing bonus money back.

A. The employer has to give pretty clear evidence that the contract was signed under false pretenses (as in your example, a player having no intent to play, obviously, retiring right after a contract being signed).

Or...

B. They need to show that the player did something so much in violation of the terms of his contract (Michael Vick's dog-fighting conviction, as an example) that his own mis-deeds were the reason for the contract being rightfully voided, and thus a pro-rated portion of the bonus should also be voided.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back