PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Light to retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solder did a decent job last year, I'd be fine with having light retire.

3.5 Mil extra to spend in FA = very nice.

One thing the Herald article tells us is that this team isn't set at guard, after all.

In all fairness, what the article tells us is that someone is speculating that. Many of these type of articles predicting how the Patriots feel about a player turn out to be inaccurate too.

It could be a negotiating ploy to offset probable Patriots requests for a pay cut. I doubt he'd walk away from his last $3.5 million assuming no health concerns. $3.5 M buys a LOT of ammo for skeet shooting. Then again after taxes it's under $2M take home. A pittance.

It can't be a ploy when its simpy Ian Rappaport saying he predicts Light will retire base on his feeling a year ago that Light was coming back for one more year, when Light has made no comment on his future.
If I start a thread saying Deion Branch may retire that isn't a ploy by him to negotiate a contract.

It could be a negotiating ploy to offset probable Patriots requests for a pay cut. I doubt he'd walk away from his last $3.5 million assuming no health concerns. $3.5 M buys a LOT of ammo for skeet shooting. Then again after taxes it's under $2M take home. A pittance.

What if Being alive and living a healthy life for next 40 years is more important for him than taking another 3.5Mill home or 2Mill after tax and increase the risk of his brain looking like scrambled eggs in 10-15 years ?

He's earned more than $30Mill in his 10+year career. He's got 3 SB rings, played in 5SB's and protected the greatest QB of the decade...there's not much else left to prove as an OT

Matt Light Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

I'm not sure why folks seem to presuming that Vollmer's health is not an issue.

Solder did a decent job last year, I'd be fine with having light retire.

3.5 Mil extra to spend in FA = very nice.

The Patriots are a very long ways from needing extra cap space at this point in time. Injuries aren't just something that might happen, they absolutely will happen, causing starters to either miss a few games (e.g., Light, Mankins, Connolly); most of the season (Vollmer); or the entire season (Koppen). Waters was the rare exception, able to play every game. On the flip side the Patriots had to go four-deep at center at one point this past season when Koppen, Connolly and Wendell were all injured at the same time and Nick McDonald had to start.

Quality depth is extremely important; contrast what happened with the Jets when Nick Mangold was injured, Rob Turner took his place and ended up on IR, and Colin Baxter played so poorly he got cut after filling in for Mangold after just two games. It had a huge negative effect on both their pass protection as well as run blocking.

If the time comes that the Pats need extra cap space, cut Ochocinco and Mike Wright. If they still need extra cap space perhaps they can restructure a contract or two.

I think it's way too early to consider cutting Light, or hoping he will retire. If Waters retires then Cannon may have to be the starting RG rather than backup OT, which would leave Practice Squad player Matt Kopa as the first tackle off the bench. I think it may be premature to covet the additional cap space his absence would represent.

Last edited:
The Patriots are a very long ways from needing extra cap space at this point in time. Injuries aren't just something that might happen, they absolutely will happen, causing starters to either miss a few games (e.g., Light, Mankins, Connolly) most of the season (Vollmer) or the entire season (Koppen). Waters was the rare exception, able to play every game. On the flip side the Patriots had to go four-deep at center at one point.

Quality depth is extremely important; contrast what happened with the Jets when Nick Mangold was injured, Rob Turner took his place and ended up on IR, and Colin Baxter played so poorly he got cut after filling in for Mangold after just two games. It had a huge negative effect on both their pass protection as well as run blocking.

If the time comes that the Pats need extra cap space, cut Ochocinco and Mike Wright. If they still need extra cap space perhaps they can restructure a contract or two.

I think it's way too early to consider cutting Light, or hoping he will retire. If Waters retires then Cannon may have to be the starting RG rather than backup OT, which would leave Practice Squad player Matt Kopa as the first tackle off the bench. I think it may be premature to covet the additional cap space his absence would represent.

Before Practice squad you have this list to pick from in FA.....
2012 NFL Free Agents: OL

then Draft

then summer cuts.

Even if Light and Water retire, there's lot more out there before dipping into PS players

Matt Light is an all time Patriot.. It will be a sad day when he retires and I hope that's not for at least one more year, hopefully longer.

Before Practice squad you have this list to pick from in FA.....
2012 NFL Free Agents: OL

then Draft

then summer cuts.

Even if Light and Water retire, there's lot more out there before dipping into PS players

The primary reason people want him to be cut or retire is so the Pats can save cap space. If that happens the Pats would need to find someone else to become the top backup, which could become very important if Vollmer's back problems persist, or an unforeseen injury such as Koppen's occur. All of a sudden that extra $3.5 - $4 million of cap space that folks are yearning for is a whole lot less.

Last edited:
If they still need extra cap space perhaps they can restructure a contract or two.

Yeah. Restructuring Brady, for example, can save up to $7.2M against the cap this year, I believe.

Yeah. Restructuring Brady, for example, can save up to $7.2M against the cap this year, I believe.

Holy crap ! In that case do it and it would put cap room around 35Mill before Stinko, Wright cuts, and other restructures could push it to $40Mill.. and go sign Colston, Lloyd, and make the offer to to Super Mario. Should still have $'s to sign Pats FA and draft picks :D

What if Being alive and living a healthy life for next 40 years is more important for him than taking another 3.5Mill home or 2Mill after tax and increase the risk of his brain looking like scrambled eggs in 10-15 years ?

He's earned more than $30Mill in his 10+year career. He's got 3 SB rings, played in 5SB's and protected the greatest QB of the decade...there's not much else left to prove as an OT

Matt Light Contract, Salaries, and Transactions

what about the bolded assuming no health concerns did you miss?

I think he should come back for one more year. Draft a replacement for him this year and have him teach him all he knows.

I think he should come back for one more year. Draft a replacement for him this year and have him teach him all he knows.

This is exactly what they did a year ago.

what about the bolded assuming no health concerns did you miss?

Assume vs. presume

Assume and presume both mean to take something for granted as true. The difference is in the degree of certainty. A presumption is usually more authoritative than an assumption. To presume is to make an informed guess based on reasonable evidence; to assume is to make a guess based on little or no evidence.

Since he has had no health issues(ie concussions, back, knees) you are guessing that you "doubt" he would give up $3.5mill. Based on what ?

It doesn't mean what you say it means

In big part, it's about his health. There's no solid research; guys just have to make their own gut-feel decision about what another year of playing will mean to their long-term health. We don't know to what extent the smaller dings have or haven't built up over the years.

There's also ego. It would pretty much have to be an open competition for the season-beginning starting job; he might not win; if he does win, he might lose the job later.

Last edited:

But things like that can also lead to future cap problems because it really is borrowing against the future. I think BB beleives, and I agree, that a good amount of cap room year in and year out is better than spending huge one year setting up future years of struggling with the cap.

In an earlier post about OT Marcus Cannon, I added a few sentences about the future of long-time left tackle Matt Light. My belief, something that I’ve believed since camp, is that the Pro Bowler signed on for one more season in 2011. The remarks have garnered some attention.

No one has said it, and nothing is certain. Light may be back. But if that’s the case, I would be surprised.

"The new journalism":rolleyes:

crystal-ball.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey