PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats select CB Terrence Wheatley with 62nd overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Terrence Wheatley highlight video link

Yes! Bring back Tebucky Jones at CB! At least when the WR runs by him for the 800th time, he will be very tall.

That is soooo excellent. Thanks! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Patriots Select TERRANCE WHEATLEY with 62nd pick

I've been following the team since 1975, so I think I have every right to question taking the 19th rated CB in the second round over someone people have rated as the 4th best CB. By the way, people here can talk about Wheatley's speed, but guess who's bigger, faster, and most likely better ? Godfrey. Sugar coat it all you want folks, but you can't tell me that we couldn't have gotten Wheatley with our 3rd third round pick. This has Bethel (f&cking) Johnson written all over it. That was my nickname for Bethel, and now my nickname for our new munckin CB. Btw, we have THREE third round picks, why didn't we trade up ?

I just did a quick search of randomly choosing the 2003 draft.

The 6th WR off the board was 19th ranked Anquain Boldin.
The 7th DE off the board was 22nd ranked Osi Umenyiora.
The 14th CB taken was 28th ranked Asante Samuel.

At the same time, I saw a TON of the higher ranked players that have done nothing in the NFL.

I'm not going to say that Wheatley is bound for greatness just because Belichick and Pioli took him. However, I'm not going to stress over where he was ranked compared to someone else.

Yes! Bring back Tebucky Jones at CB! At least when the WR runs by him for the 800th time, he will be very tall.

We do have that great WR we could convert. Randy Moss...? No uh.. Oh Yeah Chad Action Jackson or more like Chad Missing in Action Jackson.

I understand exactly what you were saying, and was completely sincere in what I said. It was geniune, respectful thanks.

I appreciate it. The thing people miss is that a CB on the Pats may suck on the Colts etc...A Cover 2 CB is a guy who plays the flat area, is a hard run force player and is rarely asked to play the deep third.

On the Pats, their DB's play Man, Cover 3, Cover 2, Cover 2 Man...a guy's skill is all relative to your system.

That is soooo excellent. Thanks!:rofl:

The guy was fine once they gave up and moved him to Safety...but as a Corner he was awkward and a borderline sex offender.

He would probably be good for about 280 yards in penalties per game if he played under "Polian's Rules of Conduct for non-Colts DB's"

I cannot articulate the importance of the audio found here http://youtube.com/watch?v=eXi-VQaxc6s&feature=related
towards another evaluation of this player as a patriot! He sounds eloquent and intelligent....and he's a corner...and not just a corner, but a "speed corner"!!!!

Wow! Super well spoken.. Obvious smarts.. And the youtube video of him?!! What a crazy second gear that guy has.. Great freakin hands.. I know he's small but seems like he makes up for it in every other area.. yea!

Ah, yes. The hallmark of BB/Pioli's tenure. A lack of preparation and the desire to do hard work. Brilliant!

Lets face it. Second round drafts choices are terrible. We already have him( See Hobbs). What does he add? A speedy nickel back... Big woop! Hey, I would not ***** if he was a sixth rounder, but two? You are kidding yourself. This was a wiff. He'll stick for a year or two even if he doesn't deserve it. They were trying to trade out and got caught with this kid. BB and Pioli are too smart to know he wouldn't have lasted until at least #69.
Wit a minute! I got it! They are going to put Hobbs on Wheatleys' shoulders to make one CB that can cover a bigger WR.
DW Toys

Lets face it. Second round drafts choices are terrible. We already have him( See Hobbs). What does he add? A speedy nickel back... Big woop! Hey, I would not ***** if he was a sixth rounder, but two? You are kidding yourself. This was a wiff. He'll stick for a year or two even if he doesn't deserve it. They were trying to trade out and got caught with this kid. BB and Pioli are too smart to know he wouldn't have lasted until at least #69.
Wit a minute! I got it! They are going to put Hobbs on Wheatleys' shoulders to make one CB that can cover a bigger WR.
DW Toys

I bet you love tall recievers like Mike Williams and Charles Rogers, too. You really don't get schematic fits, do you?

DW Toys

I remember back in 2004 when people on this board laughed when the Colts drafted a shrimp of a safety named Bob Sanders. (also a round too early based on pre-draft projections) What does he add?

DW Toys

You could do a lot worse than Ellis Hobbs. The guy is a tough SOB that played all year when most guys would have gone on the IR.

Anybody know why he didn't start a single game as a senior? I wasn't tuned into Colorado football this season to have known the inside story.

DW Toys

I love how we still question some of the great talent evaluators in the league. They aren't perfect but they have hit more than missed and hit more than most of the other teams in the league. Go off mock drafts that had Gerrard Warren ranked higher than Richard Seymour. I'll take my chances with BB and Pioli thank you.
Go back to reading the 3 page printout and the 15 minute draft cram session you did three days ago. I'll go with hours of footage and interviews conducted by professionals.

Building for the future doesn't involve Lito Sheppard. You are singlehandedly bringing down the integrity of patsfans.com

Gentleman, Lets face it we were 50/50 today. The good news is we have 6 more shots to get it right. Perhaps they will draft a CB in the third like Molden or Branch. We drafted a KR in round two is kind of........................
Shockey would have cost us a two or why not Tommy Z because we need a safety big time. Sheppard?
There are three that we all would have taken instead.
DW Toys

Gee Pioli might be out of a job soon ... :rolleyes:

You could do a lot worse than Ellis Hobbs. The guy is a tough SOB that played all year when most guys would have gone on the IR.

Touche on that one. Yes I do agree with you there. Hobbs is tough but man, we need a taller CB.
DW Toys

Anybody know why he didn't start a single game as a senior? I wasn't tuned into Colorado football this season to have known the inside story.

He was first team all-big 12. Are you sure he didn't start?

people would be salivating over the thought of getting this kid had he not sat out in 2005 with an injury. he is going to be a very good player. and stop overrating height, its getting a bit ridiculous. unlike Samuel, you can actually put Terrence in man to man that offers alot of flexibility.I get the feeling capers, peas, and BB will implement alot more man to man coverage this year and this kid fits the bill as does hobbs. get this idea of a 6'2 200lb shutdown corner out of you heads, mosts of you are basing this frivolous idea on the fact that hobbs got beat by plax in the SB. what people fail to realize is that hobbs got faked out of his cleats.height had nothing to do with it.

He was first team all-big 12. Are you sure he didn't start?

Look at his stat-line. It's the same in two places. 10 games played...zero starts.

4.39 speed?? Blazing kick returner? all conference honors?

how did we get hoodwinked into drafting this SIXTH round talent???....oh wait

Gentleman, Lets face it we were 50/50 today. The good news is we have 6 more shots to get it right. Perhaps they will draft a CB in the third like Molden or Branch. We drafted a KR in round two is kind of........................
Shockey would have cost us a two or why not Tommy Z because we need a safety big time. Sheppard?
There are three that we all would have taken instead.
DW Toys

DW - you are smarter than the way you are coming across about this guy - he is money.

He is smart, fast and make plays - all the time.

I really get excited when we draft CB's that make plays all over the field and is faster than all the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye