PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats select CB Terrence Wheatley with 62nd overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
people mosts of you are basing this frivolous idea on the fact that hobbs got beat by plax in the SB. what people fail to realize is that hobbs got faked out of his cleats.height had nothing to do with it.

BS. Hobbs got hung out to dry by the defensive call. It was Man, and Hobbs had to honor the inside fake. He had no choice. Pees banked on pressure getting there first. There was a previous play where Hobbs had inside help and he made the play.

Last edited:
BS. Hobbs got hung out to dry by the defensive call. It was Man, and Hobbs had to honor the inside fake. He had no choice. Pees banked on pressure getting there first. There was a previous play where Hobbs had inside help and he made the play.

You sure it wasn't a blown check-2 zone? Seemed to me like the only way he would jump the in was if he had a safety over the top:confused:

You sure it wasn't a blown check-2 zone? Seemed to me like the only way he would jump the in was if he had a safety over the top:confused:

If you are locked up, your first responsibility is the inside. You can't give up the easy quick slant. The earlier game Hobbs was in the same position vs Plax, and BB had AD split the difference to take away the inside and free up Ellis to play the Fade. In the SB, AD was not there, Pees brought the house. Plax had a 2 way go...and that's six in the NFL.

If you are locked up, your first responsibility is the inside. You can't give up the easy quick slant. The earlier game Hobbs was in the same position vs Plax, and BB had AD split the difference to take away the inside and free up Ellis to play the Fade. In the SB, AD was not there, Pees brought the house. Plax had a 2 way go...and that's six in the NFL.

Wow. Makes so much more sense now that you broke that down. I thought that route was a three to an eight, and Hobbs correctly jumped the three with schematic awareness. If I had a coach like you when I played college ball, I woulda been a much better Sam.

Last edited:
Wow. Makes so much more sense now that you broke that down. If I had a coach like you when I played college ball, I woulda been a much better Sam.

Nah, I coach DB's. Besides, my true love is Offense. Defense just gets in my way. :)

Someday I will coach LB's again, they fascinate me.

I've got a bad feeling about this one. The guy is just too small.... Another Hobbs who plays smaller.

If the Pats had to play a team that had Welker in the slot twice a year, maybe the pick would make sense.

Someday I will coach LB's again, they fascinate me.

Funny thing about that. I've been coachin pop warner after my normal lame finance job in my home town last year and will be again this year (I've been outta school for 2 years) as a defensive coordinator and been trying to instill linebacker values in them. You know, "yes, coach", "thank you, coach.", "that gap was my responsibility, coach" and "I need to work harder, coach". It's kinda fun to see how intense these kids can become with the right coaching. It's amazing how values learned in the game can transcend the field. Their grades improve, their confidence grows, they become better young men. What I loved about playing 'backer from pop warner through dII was the intensity and leadership that came with the position. I felt as though it was an honor to be a linebacker, that I was a part of something so much greater than myself. Everytime I put on that helmet I became something so different than Jay. Something much better than I alone could be. I kinda felt like superman when he stepped into the booth. You could just go to "that place", transcend the metaphysical and emulate the heroes you grew up watching. How suddenly you could go from a grounded, balanced, empathetic person to someone who genuinely hated anyone that stood between you and the football. That they were insulting and challenging you as a man by simply executing their assignment. That, and when I hear the word linebacker I immediately think football player.

Although, I wish I was athletic enough to play strong safety. That was always the dream position back in the glory days:)

Last edited:
I've got a bad feeling about this one. The guy is just too small.... Another Hobbs who plays smaller.

If the Pats had to play a team that had Welker in the slot twice a year, maybe the pick would make sense.

This post physically hurts.

Re: Patriots Select TERRANCE WHEATLEY with 62nd pick

So....nowhere is he ranked 19th. Frankly, the quality of the draft guides you just quoted to me is almost embarrassing. At least I now know who buys them...

Hmmm....I see, and where do you get YOUR scouting reports ? By Osmosis ? Oh yeah, you scout all of the prospects yourself, and sell draft guides that people WANT to buy, right ? Or maybe you get your insights from the more reputable draft websites ? Of course they are way more reputable than magazines, lol.

Unfortunately I made an error in my post, In one magazine, Wheatley was th 24th rate CB, excuse my error, I thought it was 19th. I appreciate most of everybody's optimism about this pick, I'm sorry I can't share the optimism. Reminds me of the Rick Sanford pick in 1979 and Chris Canty in 1997. We need CB's people, and praying that Fernando Bryant, Ty Law, Brandon Merriweather (At CB) & Terrence Wheatley somehow won't be a weakness that won't cost us isn't realistic. That being said, I LOVE the Mayo pick !

Re: Patriots Select TERRANCE WHEATLEY with 62nd pick

Hmmm....I see, and where do you get YOUR scouting reports ? By Osmosis ? Oh yeah, you scout all of the prospects yourself, and sell draft guides that people WANT to buy, right ? Or maybe you get your insights from the more reputable draft websites ? Of course they are way more reputable than magazines, lol.

Unfortunately I made an error in my post, In one magazine, Wheatley was th 24th rate CB, excuse my error, I thought it was 19th. I appreciate most of everybody's optimism about this pick, I'm sorry I can't share the optimism. Reminds me of the Rick Sanford pick in 1979 and Chris Canty in 1997. We need CB's people, and praying that Fernando Bryant, Ty Law, Brandon Merriweather (At CB) & Terrence Wheatley somehow won't be a weakness that won't cost us isn't realistic. That being said, I LOVE the Mayo pick !

I avoid judgment, generally, understanding the inadequacy of the information I have access to. But, to get an idea, the NFL.com profiles are generally the best and most detailed, far better than those found in any of those draft guides.

I'm sorry if Terrence Wheatley reminds you of Rick Sanford. What a terrible burden.

i'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your assessment.

Judging from my perspective, I consider Hobbs an 8 technique cornerback with mid-range functional football speed.

He should have used the back pivot switch and played the outside hip with a responsibilty to the back 1/3 of the field.

I'll stop now. i don't want to confuse anyone.

Agreed, a very bad pick. I keep having nightmares of the TALLER Giants receivers dominating our DB's. If Assane Samuel (Who dropped a SURE INT) was 6'1" instead of 5'10", we win the SB. Hobb's 5'9", Sanders 5'10", Merriweather 5'10", Wheatley 5'9", Bryant 5'10". Nothingbut midgets. There is still a ton of talent on the board, and the Pats have the 6th pick in the 3rd round tomorrow, maybe we grab another DB or LB, one with some size (and speed). Charles Godfrey 6'0" 207 4.35 is still on the board, Justin King 6'0" 190 4.31 still on the board, Chevis Jackson 6'0" 191. Also like Josh Barrett, a 6'2 231 safety with blazing speed !Of course, I'd also love to get OLB/DE Cliff Avril, but I bet he'll be gone before our first 3rd rounder. He would have been a way better choice than Wheatley. Oh well, I love the Mayo pick !

i'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your assessment.

Judging from my perspective, I consider Hobbs an 8 technique cornerback with mid-range functional football speed.

He should have used the back pivot switch and played the outside hip with a responsibilty to the back 1/3 of the field.

I'll stop now. i don't want to confuse anyone.

Outside leverage on the goalline while locked up?

A Pop Warner QB could throw for a TD there.

Here's the weird thing about the pick -- the Pats have 3 picks in fairly close succession.

Taking Wheatley in this spot is an indication of significant concern that he wouldn't fall to them a few picks later.

I think I trust their estimation on that over what the media said before the draft. I say this without having any particular idea of WHY that was.

Gentleman, Lets face it we were 50/50 today. The good news is we have 6 more shots to get it right. Perhaps they will draft a CB in the third like Molden or Branch. We drafted a KR in round two is kind of........................
Shockey would have cost us a two or why not Tommy Z because we need a safety big time. Sheppard?
There are three that we all would have taken instead.
DW Toys

??? Branch?

I've watched a lot of him. He can't cover. Branch is the second coming of Tebucky Jones. Blazing fast, great athlete, can hit and come up in run support (though not a big guy), but can't swing his hips to save his life. Wasn't even the best CB on UConn.

I thought Justin King would be a good pick because he has the physical tools AND he has extensive experience playing zone.

That being said, he has played very soft at PSU, though I think that's a byproduct of their defense, which is the opposite of aggressive.

I think I'll trust the Hall of Fame coach ahead of any 'experts' on here :)

I suppose he has a chance. I mean even I would have a chance. I am just going to have nightmares before our game in SD if we have Wheatley matching up against Vincent Jackson, Chris Chambers, or Gates.

How big will Peyton Goober's eyes be when he looks left and looks right coming to the line and staring at these guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
How big will Peyton Goober's eyes be when he looks left and looks right coming to the line and staring at these guys.

Yeah, Peyton sure feasted on the "midget sized" Asante Samuel, didn't he?

Seeing you guys talk it appears: a) every receiver in the NFL is over 6'3 b) every ball ever throw by a QB is a jump ball. Calm down, there's no reason to get your panties in a bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back