PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats select CB Jonathan Wilhite with 129th overall pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off noone who plays division 1 football in college is bad. And I'm not saying he is a sure thing but with coaching up and the locker room around him he could be a very good football player.

Asante Samuel is 5'11 and he ran a 4.45, for the record.

He ran a 4.51 at the combine from what I can find and he's listed at 5'10". Where'd you get your numbers?

I love this quote from nfl.com:
Lacks height preferred for the position and doesn't have much room for additional growth
It's several thousand feet before the air gets thin.

He's almost 5-10 and has 4.46 sped.

An earlier post had him at 4.38

Thats a big difference.... any idea why?

On a completely seperate note.....I don't see how anybody could complain about this draft. The Pats have chosen the exact mix of players people have been asking for. It might not be the exact guys some wanted, but when does that EVER happen? Plus I trust BB/Pioli have some idea how to evaluate talent. These all address a hole we needed to fill.....

2 CB's
1 ILB
1 OLB
1 QB with high upside

plus we have 3 more picks coming and an extra 2nd rounder next year to look forward to.

All of these players by the way, were among the fastest at their positions.

Time will tell if any or all of these guys stick.

Basically when the pats went shopping, they may have not gotten the brands you want, but they still got everything on the list (at the top anyway) ;)

An earlier post had him at 4.38

Thats a big difference.... any idea why?

On a completely seperate note.....I don't see how anybody could complain about this draft. The Pats have chosen the exact mix of players people have been asking for. It might not be the exact guys some wanted, but when does that EVER happen?

Some fans forget that a) 31 other teams have good scouts and most of them pick ahead of the Pats and b) the pats scouts watch thousands of hours of tape, interview people, watch them live, have lots more inside information and understand the game better than any of us fans. I'm much more likely to trust their judgement over mine, anyone's on this board or the enthusiastic "draftnik" who has no experience of the NFL.

Meet Ellis Hobbs the Third... err Jonathan Wilhite. He seems to have similar attributes to Hobbs... OMG they are cloning him!!! :) But without the return ability of Wheatley. Thus he's a 4th round pick. Par for the course. So we added a dime corner here?

I can confirm that Wilhite displayed 4.38 speed at the combine.
Our new corners may be smurfs, but they are SPEEDY smurfs.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/combineDB.html

Last edited:
I know that BB didn't like all the zone coverage they've been forced to play

Why, then, do you suppose BB told Curran (I think it was) he prefers zone to man coverage?

Or do you think he's changed his mind since then?

Last edited:
I remember Pete Carroll, who expertise is the defensive secondary, saying if you draft short DB's they better be fast or have long arms and good leaping ability. Looks like these picks are winners. How valuable of a commodity is it to be able to land a tall DB who is fast? Very rare.

So we're making due with what's available. It'll be nice to see this infusion of youth and speed back there to compete during training camp. That's key: creating competition.

And people can overlook the veterans we've brought in. So I'm not worried about the loss of Asante, Eugene Wilson, or Randall Gay.

Interesting, Rivals.com has him listed as 5'11" 185.

Maybe that was his height on his pro day. A lot of guys are tall on their pro days than at the combine ;) Fast track or something, I dunno

Samuel ran a 4.55

Injury Report
2006: Had his wisdom teeth removed in May...Suffered a right hamstring pull, missing most of the Louisiana State game (9/16) and the entire Buffalo (9/23) and South Carolina (9/28) contests...Underwent surgery in early December after tearing his right knee meniscus in practice, missing the Cotton Bowl vs. Nebraska (1/01/07).

Well great, he had his wisdom teeth pulled. He's clearly an injury risk. I mean seriously, was that even worth reporting?

Also had the fifth-best vertical jump among cornerbacks at 36 1/2 inches

Maybe short, but the guy can jump!

If short CBs are so damned valuable, then how come BB puts Randy Moss in at CB in certain situations?

I've had it with the midget express.

If short CBs are so damned valuable, then how come BB puts Randy Moss in at CB in certain situations?

"Certain situations" as you describe consist of Hail Mary passes at the end of a half. That's it. Those plays are entirely height and jumping ability and other qualities like agility and change of direction are completely useless.

"Certain situations" as you describe consist of Hail Mary passes at the end of a half. That's it. Those plays are entirely height and jumping ability and other qualities like agility and change of direction are completely useless.

Right, but aren't you sick and tired of watching Hobbs, Gay, etc. get burned on fades in the end zone in short and goal situations? It's frustrating as hell.

I don't understand the hate on the smaller CBs. Most tall guys just can't stay with NFL wide recievers. They are among the best athletes on the field. You give a up a few inches to have someone who can run with these athletes. It's either that or put someone on them that they will just seperate from and burn..

Pete

Right, but Samuel was a TALL CORNER!!! :rolleyes:

So 5'10" is TALL but 5'9.5 is short?

(unless you're being sarcastic, which you probably are, in which case I totally agree)

So 5'10" is TALL but 5'9.5 is short?

(unless you're being sarcastic, which you probably are, in which case I totally agree)

The sarcasm was dripping off his post. I think it even stained yours.

Right, but aren't you sick and tired of watching Hobbs, Gay, etc. get burned on fades in the end zone in short and goal situations? It's frustrating as hell.

Actually, we're pretty good on those fade routes. I wish I knew how many fade route TD's were completed on us but I would say it wasn't that many and was comparable or better than the rest of the league.

The Pats gave up ZERO fade TD's in short and goal this season. Zero. Get a clue if you're going to post crap like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News