PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get CB Aqib Talib from the Bucs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This secondary has been screaming for this type of corner, a safety with the same attitude would be hitting the jackpot. Honestly, let dennard get his reps, Talib opposite, and mix the safety slots up with McCourty getting the lions share. I honestly think he would be much better off starting play with his head to the ball than turning and running. He is usually where he should be, he just can't make a play on the ball. This is a skill that dennard has shown and Talib seems to have. Instantly upgrade two positions, and leave the secondary far better off than before the trade. Dennard and Talib's physical play well open up the playbook for the front seven. This trade has some huge potential.

And according to him "Pats are really happy with the Talib acquisition. Their plan is to use Talib and McCourty at CB if/when Chung and Gregory get healthy so long as Chung pledges to do his job and quits guessing/gambling with a fall back plan of McCourty at S with Talib and Dennard at CB. Wilson and Arrington for depth and nickel/dime."

Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards - View Single Post - Looking At The Patriots - 2012

Thx for the link, Marqui. Interesting read!

Thx for the link, Marqui. Interesting read!

last time someone thanked the Marqui, Marie Antoinette lost her head....(true story..
liar.gif

Arrington shouldn't be running up and down the sidelines. Hopefully when everyone is healthy he's stuck on inside routes with help.

Forgive me for injecting some "loose" talk radio blather into the Talib discussion...Felger tossed out some numbers showing how QB ratings have steadily increased the past 4 years when QBs target Talib's WR....from a 57 rating his rookie year to Arringtonesque numbers most recently.
If anyone knows where to find such stats, I would love to take a look.

Forgive me for injecting some "loose" talk radio blather into the Talib discussion...Felger tossed out some numbers showing how QB ratings have steadily increased the past 4 years when QBs target Talib's WR....from a 57 rating his rookie year to Arringtonesque numbers most recently.
If anyone knows where to find such stats, I would love to take a look.

Initially, I thought so too as his QB% against has gone up but other stats tell us he is doing just fine.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Aqib Talib

Others have said that he has been distracted these past couple of seasons which has led to his uneven play these past few seasons.

In the end, he has shown that he is a pretty damn good cover guy that has played for a bad team.

Last edited:
That's just it. Times haven't changed. People are making statements without having even a modicum of understanding of what happened.

People seem to forget about Dillon and Moss. They both were brought here with baggage, but had changed. There were others who did things (Kenyatta Jones, Willie Andrews, Danny Baugher) and were cut. There have been others who did things that were dumb (Harrison, Spikes) and they served their time and were done.

People have overblown Talib's issues. Outside of not doing the paperwork to notify the NFL about the Adderall script, there haven't been any anger incidents in over a year. And the ones there were can easily be explained through immaturity and the ADD/ADHD diagnosis.

Although my response was to the arrival of Aqib Talib, my issue is not necessarily with him. It's the character issues that bother me. It's not a major issue with me, as I do have control over what is watched, but if many people did the things that some of these players do, they might be out of a job because of it.

Don't get me wrong. Even if Talib is as bad as his record, if he pick sixes Eli for the winning TD in the SB this year, I'll be jumping through the ceiling with everyone else. Just as I did when Randy Moss caught TD passes for us in 2007.

I don't have to like my pro athletes, but I prefer them to have some awareness of the affect they have on young people. When Shaq stepped up to a microphone with who-knows-how-many young kids listening, and says hey Kobe, how does my ass taste, then something is wrong.

I can sum it up best by trying to imagine what it would be like to have Rex Ryan as our HC. How the heck could I ever root for such a disrespectful loudmouth like that? I coached young kids for many years, and that dope epitomizes everything that I hate about coaches. Yet, if he was holding a Lombardi for the Pats, I'd be celebrating right along with everyone else.

That's all a part of being a fan.

well...YOU may be happy he's here but after reading this thread I'm not so sure HE will be happy he's here....hasn't even played a snap yet and he's Jack the Ripper, the 2nd gunman on the grassy knoll and the genetic result of triple cloning using Rae Carruth's, Cecil Collins and Lawrence Phillips DNA...

I'm willing to give the kid a chance here, but his record was created by Aqib Talib and nobody else. He got the concern from Pats fans the hard way, he earned it. It's now his job to fix it or move on.

Dude, it has nothing to do with the Patriots and what they do.
If you want to make football players your childrens role models, go for it, and be prepared for the disappointment.
My opinion has been consistent for 40 years.

I agree with that 100%, but I reserve the right to complain about public displays of bad character from people who, in many cases, are making a fortune from selling an image to us and our young people. It's pretty hard to shield children from some of the stuff, but it's worth the effort. I see my youngest going through that now with his daughter.

All in all, it's been a great crossover thread to this newcomer. I imagine that it may have taken place here before.

Initially, I thought so too as his QB% against has gone up but other stats tell us he is doing just fine.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Innovative Statistics, Intelligent Analysis | Aqib Talib

Others have said that he has been distracted these past couple of seasons which has led to his uneven play these past few seasons.

In the end, he has shown that he is a pretty damn good cover guy that has played for a bad team.

Fantastic stat sheet that only increases my enthusiasm for this move. While some data look suspect, Talib is targeted a full one-third fewer times between 2009 and 2011, while his Stop Percentage rose. Teams are staying away from him. Bottom chart - Talib's ranking as a corner went from 53rd to 6th in the NFL from 2009 to 2011, based on his success rate when his receiver was targeted.

Yeah, if you go over his career stats and look at years when he was targeted a lot - 77 times in 2009 - the QB's probably did better. His numbers in 2010 were affected by his hip injury when he went on IR. But in 2011 he was targeted 46 times and his success rate rose. This guy is getting better.

The Patriots need exactly this type of production against opponents' top receivers.

Felger is full of crap and either made up the stat about QBR or Passer Rating going up when targeting a specific defender or heard something and decided to repeat it.

Besides, what does that mean? Neither QBR or Passer Rating rating is defensive-back specific. Tampa Bay has been awful for the past few years, a QB's rating goes up against crappy defenses and down against good ones.

It's like saying a 1st basemen's put-outs go up against second basemen. Yeah. Probably because they make contact and hit more ground balls than first basemen who are sluggers who strikeout and fly out more often. There's no link to a specific player in that.

Last season, Brady had two great games against Denver and the Jets. Does that mean Champ Bailey and Darelle Revis suck? No. Last season Brady was awful against the Steelers. Was that all Troy Polamalu? No. Brady was sacked three times and threw for only 198 yards. The Steelers won TOP 39 to 21 and controlled the ball all game long. Their offense won that game.

Felger and Mazz are bloviators who get paid to act knowledgable and provoke their audience. They are not reporters like Bedard or Breer.

Last edited:
They are not reporters like Bedard or Breer.

Umm.. Breer hasn't been a reporter since he left the MetroWest.... but that's another story..

And according to him "Pats are really happy with the Talib acquisition. Their plan is to use Talib and McCourty at CB if/when Chung and Gregory get healthy so long as Chung pledges to do his job and quits guessing/gambling with a fall back plan of McCourty at S with Talib and Dennard at CB. Wilson and Arrington for depth and nickel/dime."

Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards - View Single Post - Looking At The Patriots - 2012

An interesting read. I'm not familiar with those boards or that particular poster, so I can't comment on his credibility.

However, if what he says is true about his conversation with a Pats beat writer - and if they're information is accurate, then:

1) I'm really down on Gronkowski's back. It's amazing he is performing as he is, but it would be an absolute tragedy if it only gets worse as the seasons wear on. If we can't rely on Gronkowski because his back eventually impacts his play then that would be a loss beyond comprehension.

2) I agree with the Chung assessment, and hopefully Bill is on him about his play.

3) Having McCourty at CB instead of a Safety isn't what I imagined, considering how McCourty is great in zone and sucks in man, and Talib is the exact opposite. But this obviously says that the coaches view him better as a CB.

4) I'm hoping Talib is true to his word: Make this a fresh start and embrace the culture.

Although my response was to the arrival of Aqib Talib, my issue is not necessarily with him. It's the character issues that bother me. It's not a major issue with me, as I do have control over what is watched, but if many people did the things that some of these players do, they might be out of a job because of it.

Don't get me wrong. Even if Talib is as bad as his record, if he pick sixes Eli for the winning TD in the SB this year, I'll be jumping through the ceiling with everyone else. Just as I did when Randy Moss caught TD passes for us in 2007.

I don't have to like my pro athletes, but I prefer them to have some awareness of the affect they have on young people. When Shaq stepped up to a microphone with who-knows-how-many young kids listening, and says hey Kobe, how does my ass taste, then something is wrong.

I can sum it up best by trying to imagine what it would be like to have Rex Ryan as our HC. How the heck could I ever root for such a disrespectful loudmouth like that? I coached young kids for many years, and that dope epitomizes everything that I hate about coaches. Yet, if he was holding a Lombardi for the Pats, I'd be celebrating right along with everyone else.

That's all a part of being a fan.

I am curious: do you judge these 'character' issues based on what the press disclosed when they reported the trade? Or after you dig deeper into what really transpired?

Take the more serious gun charge against this new Patriot. Do you know more about the guy who made the complaint or more about the incident?

I ask because if you did, it may shed light on why those charges were dropped and maybe reduce the harshness with which we tend to judge individuals based on the preliminary reporting of the media.

Very good move by Belichick. He had to do something with that awful secondary. Talib can play for sure. Question is will he be a problem while he's here. I don't think so. Talib has too much to lo$e because he's going to playing for one of the high profile teams in the league. Talib has a lack of character not brains.

I am curious: do you judge these 'character' issues based on what the press disclosed when they reported the trade? Or after you dig deeper into what really transpired?

Take the more serious gun charge against this new Patriot. Do you know more about the guy who made the complaint or more about the incident?

I ask because if you did, it may shed light on why those charges were dropped and maybe reduce the harshness with which we tend to judge individuals based on the preliminary reporting of the media.

I thought I mentioned at the beginning that I wasn't talking about Talib.

The examples I gave were of people who showed me that they don't represent the way that I feel people should act, especially famous people who get the eyes and ears of our children.

Let's start with a mild example from one of my favorite Boston athletes of all time (I've been seeing them since the 60s) Larry Bird. I absolutely cringed when he stepped up to a microphone with millions listening, and uttered that stupid Moses does eat s*** line. Isn't it a bit ironic that I can't actually print the words here? :D

Let me now add "Pop" Cromartie to the list. I haven't done a whole lot of research or followed any links from here to there, but I know from his words and actions that he isn't someone that I would want any child to emulate.

I'm willing to give Talib a chance, and if he does turn it around it will be a great story. Hopefully, we'll all be celebrating that and/or a SB win in three months.

Seems like a possible douche with a bad temper. Hopefully he gets the temper in line and doesn't let it derail his life. Right now he's saying and doing the right things, so until he effs up again I have no problem rooting for him. This is a far cry from Vick running the dog fights, but I do find it amusing that Reid's a humanitarian and BB is desperate (according to the media) when picking up character concerns.

Seems like a possible douche with a bad temper. Hopefully he gets the temper in line and doesn't let it derail his life. Right now he's saying and doing the right things, so until he effs up again I have no problem rooting for him. This is a far cry from Vick running the dog fights, but I do find it amusing that Reid's a humanitarian and BB is desperate (according to the media) when picking up character concerns.
In fairness to the Patriots, some of us have been calling for a nasty prick in the Secondary for some time. Now that Talib has arrived, I'd look like a hypocritical wanker if I derided the move given my position toward much needed DB attitude.

In fairness to the Patriots, some of us have been calling for a nasty prick in the Secondary for some time. Now that Talib has arrived, I'd look like a hypocritical wanker if I derided the move given my position toward much needed DB attitude.

I'll welcome Talib, but I was hoping for a "nasty prick" at free or strong safety. Like Ryan Clark. Did you see what he did to Victor Cruz yesterday? Cruz caught a few more balls after that, but he clearly wasn't the same after that hit.

I'll welcome Talib, but I was hoping for a "nasty prick" at free or strong safety. Like Ryan Clark. Did you see what he did to Victor Cruz yesterday? Cruz caught a few more balls after that, but he clearly wasn't the same after that hit.
I'm a beggar and I certainly can't be choosing right now Kontra. I'm with you that I would prefer a Safety, but I'll take a corner when presented with one.

Regarding Clark, I did see the hit. That was a hit. A hit I tells ya a hit.

biglead_original.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes