PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats get CB Aqib Talib from the Bucs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fairness to the Patriots, some of us have been calling for a nasty prick in the Secondary for some time. Now that Talib has arrived, I'd look like a hypocritical wanker if I derided the move given my position toward much needed DB attitude.

I'll welcome Talib, but I was hoping for a "nasty prick" at free or strong safety. Like Ryan Clark. Did you see what he did to Victor Cruz yesterday? Cruz caught a few more balls after that, but he clearly wasn't the same after that hit.

I welcome a couple of "nasty prick" CBs like Talib, and, dare I say, Alfonzo Dennard. Feisty, physical guys with an attitude. Ty Law and Rodney were nasty pricks. If Talib can keep it on the field, he'll be a welcome addition. I've had enough of soft DBs who get pushed around and torched. It's not a position for ****ies.

Brandon Meriweather actually had a little bit of the "nasty prick" attitude, but he couldn't play with enough discipline. But at least he wasn't soft. I'f had enough of soft.

I'm a beggar and I certainly can't be choosing right now Kontra. I'm with you that I would prefer a Safety, but I'll take a corner when presented with one.

Regarding Clark, I did see the hit. That was a hit. A hit I tells ya a hit.

biglead_original.gif

Clark made up his mind that he was going to blast Cruz regardless of the ball getting there on that play. I like that. I feel like it chaged the tone of the game for the New York offense. Suddenly, passes started to fly on Eli over the middle of the field and no doubt that the hit Clark put on Cruz had a lot to do with it. I wonder how much he'll get fined for it, though.

I welcome a couple of "nasty prick" CBs like Talib, and, dare I say, Alfonzo Dennard. Feisty, physical guys with an attitude. Ty Law and Rodney were nasty pricks. If Talib can keep it on the field, he'll be a welcome addition. I've had enough of soft DBs who get pushed around and torched. It's not a position for ****ies.

Brandon Meriweather actually had a little bit of the "nasty prick" attitude, but he couldn't play with enough discipline. But at least he wasn't soft. I'f had enough of soft.
It does feel like "our" secondary has been filled with nice boys who you'd ask to mow your front lawn than go out to make some heavy and tough football hits. It's a shame Meriweather didn't work out because his presence has been missed.

As for you Kontra, football is a tough sport. I honestly believe hits like that can ignite something in defensive players. I wouldn't mind seeing some of that aggression in the Patriots secondary (provided it doesn't lead to a TD that is).

I thought I mentioned at the beginning that I wasn't talking about Talib.

The examples I gave were of people who showed me that they don't represent the way that I feel people should act, especially famous people who get the eyes and ears of our children.

Let's start with a mild example from one of my favorite Boston athletes of all time (I've been seeing them since the 60s) Larry Bird. I absolutely cringed when he stepped up to a microphone with millions listening, and uttered that stupid Moses does eat s*** line. Isn't it a bit ironic that I can't actually print the words here? :D

Let me now add "Pop" Cromartie to the list. I haven't done a whole lot of research or followed any links from here to there, but I know from his words and actions that he isn't someone that I would want any child to emulate.

I'm willing to give Talib a chance, and if he does turn it around it will be a great story. Hopefully, we'll all be celebrating that and/or a SB win in three months.

Who in their right minds would hold up any athlete as a model for their children?

Clark made up his mind that he was going to blast Cruz regardless of the ball getting there on that play. I like that. I feel like it chaged the tone of the game for the New York offense. Suddenly, passes started to fly on Eli over the middle of the field and no doubt that the hit Clark put on Cruz had a lot to do with it. I wonder how much he'll get fined for it, though.

From the looks of it, one can make the point clark was trying to block cruz because he thought the ball was intercepted.

It's like the famous Kurt McHale clothesline play on Kurt Rambis in the 1984 (I think) NBA finals. Brutal play. But it sure slowed down the Lakers for the series. Made them think twice.

The Steelers did the same thing to us last year. Smashed us in the face. And we didn't like it. This year, I think we're much better prepared to play a physical brand of football on both sides of the ball. I'm all for up tempo and all that, but it's still a brutal game underneath, not a finesse sport.

From the looks of it, one can make the point clark was trying to block cruz because he thought the ball was intercepted.

Somebody could probably make that argument, sure. But it wouldn't be very convincing.

It does feel like "our" secondary has been filled with nice boys who you'd ask to mow your front lawn than go out to make some heavy and tough football hits. It's a shame Meriweather didn't work out because his presence has been missed.

As for you Kontra, football is a tough sport. I honestly believe hits like that can ignite something in defensive players. I wouldn't mind seeing some of that aggression in the Patriots secondary (provided it doesn't lead to a TD that is).

Well considering the rate at which they are giving up TDs now, I'll take the "message" hit even if it DOES result in a TD.

There will be less of them in the future when the receivers' heads are on swivels.

Ask the 2001 Rams about the Pats' SB-winning secondary.

Somebody could probably make that argument, sure. But it wouldn't be very convincing.

The ball was in ike taylor's hands 2 seconds before the hit. Cruz looked like he was ready to tackle.

Last edited:
I'f had enough of soft.

Agreed....you develop a bit of a nasty reputation back there, at a minimum you might start to see a few more drops. Can't have receivers feeling so cozy.

Well considering the rate at which they are giving up TDs now, I'll take the "message" hit even if it DOES result in a TD.

There will be less of them in the future when the receivers' heads are on swivels.

Ask the 2001 Rams about the Pats' SB-winning secondary.
Perhaps Brandon Spikes can teach the DB's how to enforce a hit?

The ball was in ike taylor's hands 2 seconds before the hit. Cruz looked like he was ready to tackle.

Watch the .GIF again. Clark's head and eyes are turned toward Cruz the entire way, even before the ball hits Taylor in the hands. He was going for the knockout shot regardless of whether or not Cruz caught the ball.

Last edited:

Considering Clark is well-known for his billy goat martial arts technique, no it wouldn't be very convincing.

In fairness to the Patriots, some of us have been calling for a nasty prick in the Secondary for some time. Now that Talib has arrived, I'd look like a hypocritical wanker if I derided the move given my position toward much needed DB attitude.
Yep, just because someone strikes me as someone I wouldn't want to hang out with doesn't mean I can't root for them. Reminds me of a Team America quote.
As long as they avoid the head I'm in complete agreement. How Clark sent that message is exactly how guys should over the middle.

He shouldn't be fined at all. That was a clean, legit hit; proof once again that the feckin jints
get all the feckin calls.

Thanks for the link to PP. Very interesting.

I also assumed that they did an extensive background check on Talib and i'm sure that they didn't like everything they saw (like Dillon and Haynesworth) they figured they have nothing to lose so what the heck.

A 4th-round pick, esp in a draft in which Bill already had no 5th- & 6th-rounders
(one of which would likely have been the compensation for Talib had one been available)
isn't nothing; otherwise, I agree.

Oh what I'd do for the Steelers safeties

He shouldn't be fined at all. That was a clean, legit hit; proof once again that the feckin jints
get all the feckin calls.

Wasn't the call on the field that Cruz was a defenseless receiver? If so (and I think it was), Clark could very well receive a fine.

Wasn't the call on the field that Cruz was a defenseless receiver? If so (and I think it was), Clark could very well receive a fine.

The call was wrong, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore