PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots v. Bears (10/26) Bedard film review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could come down to how well collins plays the run ? Has been somewhat a weakness in his game so far this yr.
Absolutely, and playing off of what Bedard said I'd look for them to find a way (be it motion or PA...and we all know how much Manning loves that PA outside zone check) to get him out of position and exploit that. Collins' raw ability is indisputable but I think the game still hasn't slowed down for him quite yet.

Having said that, I thought that he was phenomenal against the run early against the Bears. Viewing the field as an inside linebacker without experience is not any easy thing to do, and I couldn't imagine how difficult it must be to do it at NFL speed without a lifetime of experience. So much of playing the run at inside linebacker is viewing the backfield as you close but (for lack of a better term) feeling the actual play as it moves around you. There's a lot of traffic happening in your peripheral that you need to be aware of to scrape well while you use your actual focus to find the ball. Throw in misdirection, backside responsibility, play action recognition, etc and you have a pretty challenging job. I think the coaches have done a great job reaching him and simplifying a lot of the run fits to playing inverted running back. He's made palpable jumps week to week in the run game and to me it's been a central story in recent weeks.

Stork had a few rough moments, but I thought his overall performance was pretty good. I'd certainly rather have a few easily fixed snap issues than a guy who appears incapable of playing the position.

As for Collins, I guess we'll just have to thank our lucky stars that nearly every likely AFC playoff team is pass first. I thought he showed a lot more willingness than against the Jets, so at least there was that much.

Stork was bad, but that's the sort of 'bad' you expect to get early on in his career.
Collins tackles like Deion Sanders.

Edit: Mayo, no matter how many times you <click> disagree about it, the truth is not going to change.

I don't agree with either of those 2 guys being a "down".

Yeah, Stork in particular struck me as an easy selection based on a few notable mistakes.

Granted, you are going to have to search hard for a "down" in a 51-23 game that you lead 38-7 at the half, but I've seen bad. Stork ain't it.

Sure, and that's something they noted at the start.
But Stork was bad enough to earn the spot.

Yeah, Stork in particular struck me as an easy selection based on a few notable mistakes.
Exactly. I take his 3 up/3 down segments with a major grain of salt. He gets his hands on the film at start of business Tuesdays, goes on the air five hours later and has his actual job to work for as well. Simply from a time standpoint he has to skim the tape and looks for pop plays. Complete film study is a very time intensive animal.

Ok, back to Bedard:

Still defending Talib v. Revis

"If they shut down Manning in this game, I back on the Bill defensive mastermind bandwagon."

Stork improved the play of the line. He's a rookie; they make mistakes.

If you want a token "down game" player, Julian Edelman (1 reception on 4 targets with 2 drops).

Stork was not good. Stork earned his spot. It's folly to pretend otherwise. It's a 3 'down' following a game where the team beat the hell out of their opponent. "Down" isn't even particularly meaningful.

Absolutely, and playing off of what Bedard said I'd look for them to find a way (be it motion or PA...and we all know how much Manning loves that PA outside zone check) to get him out of position and exploit that. Collins' raw ability is indisputable but I think the game still hasn't slowed down for him quite yet.

Having said that, I thought that he was phenomenal against the run early against the Bears. Viewing the field as an inside linebacker without experience is not any easy thing to do, and I couldn't imagine how difficult it must be to do it at NFL speed without a lifetime of experience. So much of playing the run at inside linebacker is viewing the backfield as you close but (for lack of a better term) feeling the actual play as it moves around you. There's a lot of traffic happening in your peripheral that you need to be aware of to scrape well while you use your actual focus to find the ball. Throw in misdirection, backside responsibility, play action recognition, etc and you have a pretty challenging job. I think the coaches have done a great job reaching him and simplifying a lot of the run fits to playing inverted running back. He's made palpable jumps week to week in the run game and to me it's been a central story in recent weeks.
Is all of manning's PA from the shotgun ? I wonder if he goes under center at all .

Bedard: Wouldn't mind Jackson. Even with Gronk/LaFell/Edelman, easier to defend in the middle of the field.

Not going to be their best until they get an explosive edge guy. (Ok, now he's back in my head)

Stork improved the play of the line. He's a rookie; they make mistakes.

If you want a token "down game" player, Julian Edelman (1 reception on 4 targets with 2 drops).
Also Logan Ryan. He's been way down this season as a whole. Teams immediately target 26 as soon as he comes on the field.

Also Logan Ryan. He's been way down this season as a whole. Teams immediately target 26 as soon as he comes on the field.
I wonder why they played him over Dennard.

There were some issues, defensively, that a better QB will take advantage of. "Cutler was just so bad in this game".

Still a long way to go and the Patriots will get better. They always do.

Is all of manning's PA from the shotgun ? I wonder if he goes under center at all .
This is purely from memory, but I believe he does run that outside zone from under center quite a bit, if for nothing more than timing. It's a fairly long developing play to effectively sell the playfake of those zone runs from the linemen that running it from gun would look more like a zone read option.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Stork was not good. Stork earned his spot. It's folly to pretend otherwise. It's a 3 'down' following a game where the team beat the hell out of their opponent. "Down" isn't even particularly meaningful.

From Richard Hill on twitter:

Patriots two best offensive days were versus CIN, CHI. Only 2 games with Connolly-Stork-Wendell interior. OL allowed total 1 hit, 7 hurries.

https://twitter.com/PP_Rich_Hill/status/527112980891443200

Stork can be "down" all season for all I care, if that's the kind of OL performance we see.

You're trying to equate "A" with "All that is not B". Stork being better than Devey is not the same as Stork being All-world.

We also don't care who he's better than if it equated to #12 not taking hits. Regardless of it being because of #12 moving or Stork blocking. Really don't care. Offense has looked at its best with that OL combination.

The offense has scored 80 points with Brady manufacturing or being afforded the time to go:

53/70 (75.7%) 646yds (9.2ypa) 9TD 0INT 143.2 Passer Rating (1 sack)

Like I said, I really don't care why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore