PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots v. Bears (10/26) Bedard film review

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no question that Devin's very good at his job. In this scheme, if you're seeing your FS with a lot of tackles, your team stinks.

Could see Devin on Julius Thomas. BB's trying to get him more involved, putting Harmon back deep.

Easley's not there yet. Coming back from ACL, he doesn't have same snap off the LOS as we saw in college. Future is bright for him.

Likes his versatility. Will need to get stronger. About a year or two away.

Doesn't think Easley is where he needs to be yet as a pass rusher. But he is showing a lot of promise, more than he thought he would coming off the injury. He is versatile which is what Belichick likes. Needs to get stronger. Thinks he is a year or two from really pops in the defense. Likes his promise.

How the Patriots do against the run is extremely important in this game. Keeping offense on side too long gets it out of rhythm.

Thinks it will be a low scoring game for a half, followed by adjustments.

Gotta find a way to get some shot plays to take advantage of Rahim Moore.

Also, look for low crossers to take advantage of Broncos LBs on the inside.

Big fan of this one. Very interesting. Looking for some creative stuff on Sunday.

I could see that as a handoff/tandem situation on a few occasions, too, with Collins starting on him and giving him a bump, then peeling off and McCourty taking him downfield.

This is the game where we get to see what we all thought Revis would allow BB to do with coverage. This feels like a game where the '11 polymorphic coverages are going to make a big comeback. Bringing McCourty up to play on Julius is a great solution, affords a lot of different coverages off of the looks and perhaps most importantly enables Collins to blitz. Other interesting potential is what Easley's athleticism affords. If they do intent to counter all those bunch picks and rubs with zones, I'd look for a lot of dog blizting with Collins and Hightower. It should be a look at 70% of what they will be able to do when a healthy Jones returns.

(edit: these are my thoughts, not Bedard's)

This is the game where we get to see what we all thought Revis would allow BB to do with coverage. This feels like a game where the '11 polymorphic coverages are going to make a big comeback. Bringing McCourty up to play on Julius is a great solution, affords a lot of different coverages off of the looks and perhaps most importantly enables Collins to blitz. Other interesting potential is what Easley's athleticism affords. If they do intent to counter all those bunch picks and rubs with zones, I'd look for a lot of dog blizting with Collins and Hightower. It should be a look at 70% of what they will be able to do when a healthy Jones returns.

That last part was obvious. Good stuff, as usual.

3 up

Gronk - He was awesome. Anything he wanted to do, he did.
Brady
Ninkovich - Had a very good game. 2 hurries, 2 knockdowns, fum rec. Very smart player. When he has an advantage, he takes advantage of it.

3 down

Skinner - Terrible every time he came into the game. Always in the wrong place.
Collins - Had some decent plays (hurry/sack assist) but another tough time in the run game. If I'm any offense that comes in, I'm keying off Collins and getting him out of position
Stork - had a rough time in the game.

Goal line quick snaps are screwing up the OL, since they aren't getting enough time to figure out who to block.

Edit: Personal note on this one.... I think this quick snap (in general, not just on the goal line) would be much more effective if they'd run a pass or two from it. Teams know that it's always a run. Just having a TE slip out could literally be a game changer.

Could come down to how well collins plays the run ? Has been somewhat a weakness in his game so far this yr.

great updates - thanks guys

3 up

Gronk - He was awesome. Anything he wanted to do, he did.
Brady
Ninkovich - Had a very good game. 2 hurries, 2 knockdowns, fum rec. Very smart player. When he has an advantage, he takes advantage of it.

This is why Ninkovich is so underrated. He's not the flashiest player, but he rarely makes mistakes. He's just not as physically gifted as everyone else on the field, and the fact that he does as much as he does it a statement to just how much he understands football.

Thanks man. This is gonna be a fun one. Very excited for the chess match.

I think BB has many, many more tools with which to work than in the past, starting with the secondary. Too bad Jones is out. But Hightower, Collins, Ayers and Easley are all guys that he can move around quite a bit.

3 down

Skinner - Terrible every time he came into the game. Always in the wrong place.
Collins - Had some decent plays (hurry/sack assist) but another tough time in the run game. If I'm any offense that comes in, I'm keying off Collins and getting him out of position
Stork - had a rough time in the game.

Stork had a few rough moments, but I thought his overall performance was pretty good. I'd certainly rather have a few easily fixed snap issues than a guy who appears incapable of playing the position.

As for Collins, I guess we'll just have to thank our lucky stars that nearly every likely AFC playoff team is pass first. I thought he showed a lot more willingness than against the Jets, so at least there was that much.

This is why Ninkovich is so underrated. He's not the flashiest player, but he rarely makes mistakes. He's just not as physically gifted as everyone else on the field, and the fact that he does as much as he does it a statement to just how much he understands football.
http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...-trade-is-the-right-move-at-all-for-patriots/
On Rob Ninkovich‘s impact: “Even from mistakes, he learns from them. He gets beaten to the flat earlier in the year by Lamar Miller with the Dolphins, you don’t see him make that mistake again. That’s the sign of a great football player. You make one mistake, you learn from it you don’t make it again. … You expect him to do the fundamentally right things every single down but then all of a sudden he’s making plays that change games. He’s done this for the last two years or so. Very underrated linebacker. It’s going to be hard for him to make a Pro Bowlor something like that, but I think he deserves it because of the consistency he’s shown throughout the last two years, always making plays. Ninkovich makes it easy for Matt Patricia and Bill Belichick to make a game plan. They know he’s a guy, if there’s someone we know we need to put more of a burden on, who has the mental capacity to handle more on his plate, I think Ninkovich is the guy they look to.”

Stork had a few rough moments, but I thought his overall performance was pretty good. I'd certainly rather have a few easily fixed snap issues than a guy who appears incapable of playing the position.

As for Collins, I guess we'll just have to thank our lucky stars that nearly every likely AFC playoff team is pass first. I thought he showed a lot more willingness than against the Jets, so at least there was that much.

I don't agree with either of those 2 guys being a "down". Stork had some issues, but overall he still improves the line. Collins showed improvement in run support. Reiss noted in his 1st quarter review:

The play didn’t have the desired result, but after linebacker Jamie Collins rightfully took some heat for his struggles playing downhill in the running against the Chiefs on Sept. 29, his physicality showed up on the third play of the game (2-yard run, Forte, 14:00), when he exploded into the hole on third-and-1 and met Forte head-on. That’s the type of decisive, explosive play we’ve been looking for from Collins, who followed up with another nice play in tackling Forte on a 1-yard gain (13:17). Collins was solid against the run in this quarter in maybe his best 15-minute stretch of the season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...42/patriots-1st-quarter-review-easleys-impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes