PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Slot Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devin McCourty, Ras-I Dowling and Leigh Bodden are all big outside CB's but im not sure Bodden will be back the pats may cut him to free up some cap space, this is how i see the back field looking

#1 Devin McCourty,
#2 Leigh Bodden/Ras-I Dowling,
#3 slot/nickle. Ras-I Dowling/Kyle Arrington,
#4 Darius Butler,
#5 Jonathan Wilhite,

Devin McCourty, Ras-I Dowling and Leigh Bodden are all big outside CB's but im not sure Bodden will be back the pats may cut him to free up some cap space, this is how i see the back field looking

#1 Devin McCourty,
#4 Darius Butler,
#5 Jonathan Wilhite,
The Pats are going to cut their best corner to save cap space? Oh how I love the off-season.

#1 Devin McCourty,
#4 Darius Butler,
#5 Jonathan Wilhite,

Wouldn't we be taking a big cap hit if we cut Bodden?

The Pats are going to cut their best corner to save cap space? Oh how I love the off-season.

they maynot cut him i just said i could see it happing but come on there best corner ? really...

they maynot cut him i just said i could see it happing but come on there best corner ? really...
They won't cut him and yes our best corner. McCourty needs to prove he's not a flash in the pan one hit wonder before he can claim that mantle. Bodden has been a very good corner in the NFL for a while. People also tend to forget just how good he was for the Patriots before injury cruelled his 2010 season. 55 tackles, 18Pdef 5INT 1FF in 2009.

McCourty's scope for improvement is greater and if he continues along that projection he'll be the clear number 1, but for now I'll sit with the veteran until the younger player proves more over time.

Last edited:
They won't cut him and yes our best corner. McCourty needs to prove he's not a flash in the pan one hit wonder before he can claim that mantle. Bodden has been a very good corner in the NFL for a while. People also tend to forget just how good he was for the Patriots before injury cruelled his 2010 season. 55 tackles, 18Pdef 5INT 1FF in 2009.

McCourty's scope for improvement is greater and if he continues along that projection he'll be the clear number 1, but for now I'll sit with the veteran until the younger player proves more over time.

it's just my opinion but i dont think Bodden has done all that much in he's 7 years as a NFL corner, 3 of he's 5 INT's came vs mark sanchez in he's rookie year and he gave up like 10 rec for over a 150 yerds and like 2 TD's in that Denver game that the pats lost by 3 points im not saying he lost the game for them but i can't remember McCourty last year,

i think Bodden is a good CB but i just think McCourty is a lot better then him now and will only get better

it's just my opinion but i dont think Bodden has done all that much in he's 7 years as a NFL corner, 3 of he's 5 INT's came vs mark sanchez in he's rookie year and he gave up like 10 rec for over a 150 yerds and like 2 TD's in that Denver game that the pats lost by 3 points im not saying he lost the game for them but i can't remember McCourty last year,

i think Bodden is a good CB but i just think McCourty is a lot better then him now and will only get better
So now it's OK to cherry pick a stat and say that game doesn't apply? I guess Brady throwing 5 TD's in one quarter of football against the Titans doesn't count because it was against the Titans? Frankly, that's a ridiculous position to hold.

Bodden is a damn fine corner. I have no doubt McCourty's SCI is tremendously greater than anyone we've had since Ty Law but I'd prefer to see it first rather than being hopeful he'll back up and avoid the 2nd season blues.

Last edited:

I like Bodden too, but McCourty played better in 2010 than Bodden did in 2009.
Bodden missing a season would have a greater negative impact IMO than the mythical possibility of a 2nd year dropoff.
I am glad we have both.

So now it's OK to cherry pick a stat and say that game doesn't apply? I guess Brady throwing 5 TD's in one quarter of football against the Titans doesn't count because it was against the Titans? Frankly, that's a ridiculous position to hold.

Bodden is a damn fine corner. I have no doubt McCourty's SCI is tremendously greater than anyone we've had since Ty Law but I'd prefer to see it first rather than being hopeful he'll back up and avoid the 2nd season blues.
Actually there was a poster on this board who spend a good portion of last offseason arguing that the Titan game in 2009 didnt count because obviously they didnt want to play that day, so yes, ridiculous opinions are held a lot here.

I like Bodden too, but McCourty played better in 2010 than Bodden did in 2009.
Bodden missing a season would have a greater negative impact IMO than the mythical possibility of a 2nd year dropoff.
I am glad we have both.
There's a couple of things I'm not going to disagree on.

1. McCourty's 2010 > Bodden's 2009.
2. McCourty's potential > Bodden.

What I'm suggesting is waiting out to see if 2011 shows McCourty as a flash in a pan who struck lightning once type of player. That's why I'm treading lightly on putting him as the first corner over a very good veteran. I happen to think he could be one of the best defensive back we've ever seen after his rookie season... but I'm going to wait.

I'm a massive McCourty fan and will bite my tongue until I can safely proclaim he's the greatest thing since sliced bread ;).

Last edited:
There's a couple of things I'm not going to disagree on.

1. McCourty's 2010 > Bodden's 2009.
2. McCourty's potential > Bodden.

What I'm suggesting is waiting out to see if 2011 shows McCourty as a flash in a pan who struck lightning once type of player. That's why I'm treading lightly on putting him as the first corner over a very good veteran. I happen to think he could be one of the best defensive back we've ever seen after his rookie season... but I'm going to wait.

I'm a massive McCourty fan and will bite my tongue until I can safely proclaim he's the greatest thing since sliced bread ;).

Refusing to assess does not make your assessment good.
We have seen on the field that McCourty has played better than Bodden.
If you must assess who is a better player, saying I want to wait, is saying you refuse to answer the question isnt it?

You aren't being asked to proclaim anything, but to discuss who is our best corner. Based on every logical piece of evidence it is McCourty.

Refusing to assess does not make your assessment good.
We have seen on the field that McCourty has played better than Bodden.
If you must assess who is a better player, saying I want to wait, is saying you refuse to answer the question isnt it?

You aren't being asked to proclaim anything, but to discuss who is our best corner. Based on every logical piece of evidence it is McCourty.
Neither does taking one year in isolation to the detriment of others or those which haven't occurred. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Bodden's got more runs on the board than McCourty does.

Last edited:

not trying to cherry pick at all my point was that he had a lot of average games a few great games and a few bad games i think McCourty was much more consistent throughout the season he was a top 5 corner last year i dont think Bodden has ever played at that level in any point of he's career he is a good CB just think McCourty is much better.

#1 Devin McCourty,
#4 Darius Butler,
#5 Jonathan Wilhite,

The Pats would take a $4.5M cap hit if they cut Bodden, and would save less than $400K if cut/traded according to Miguel's cap page. I'm not saying he can't be cut, just that it won't be for cap reasons since there's not much savings to be had. Of course the new CBA may have new rules relating to how cap values are assessed, but as of now, doesn't make sense.

I still think McCourty is the #1 guy. I agree that he's got to show he can do it again. Mike Jenkins had a very promising second year, but looked awful in his third for the Cowboys, who have no idea what to make of him.

But don't forget Bodden only had one good year with the Patriots. He played pretty well in Cleveland, but was a disaster in Detroit when asked to play a different system. So both have question marks and both have only one solid year in New England to their credit.

I don't think it really matters though since Bodden has always played RCB while McCourty has always played LCB for us. Regardless of ranking, they'll be on the field at the same time unless Dowling or Butler improve significantly this off-season.

We're talking about cutting Bodden now? Jeez louise, this board never ceases to amaze me.

There are games you can take out of equations for various reasons. The Titans game and the 45-3 game, for examples, were dependent upon unusual or singular circumstances. It all depends on the context.

Having said that, I agree that the idea of cutting Bodden (if healthy) doesn't make any sense. He'll be the team's CB on the defensive right side, paired with McCourty on the defensive left. The other 4 CBs will compete for the nickel/dime jobs, IMO.

Last edited:
Neither does taking one year in isolation to the detriment of others or those which haven't occurred. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Bodden's got more runs on the board than McCourty does.
So you are saying a lesser player who has been in the league many years is better than a better player who has been in the league fewer years?
I would think that McCourty playing better as a rookie than Bodden has ever played in his career would be pretty convincing evidence.
Do you really think players peak as rookies?

So you are saying a lesser player who has been in the league many years is better than a better player who has been in the league fewer years?
I would think that McCourty playing better as a rookie than Bodden has ever played in his career would be pretty convincing evidence.
Do you really think players peak as rookies?

This isn't even a discussion. McCourty is better than Bodden.

By the end of the year McCourty was starting to play at a very elite level. Week 1 i cringed every time when the ball was in the air against the rookie. About week 14 or whatever the **** it was i was expecting an interception.

The guy is a monster....great deep speed,great recovery speed,strong run supporter, great hands, high intelligence. Love him ! I'll be shocked if he takes a step back in his 2nd year...the guy seems too talented and too much of a hard worker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back